Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Leveling jacks and steering issues

We have a couple issues with our 07 W24 Outlaw. First up fuse # 16 under the dash blows when you turn on the key. It must be for the leveling jacks as they will not come on. We had a crash course on how to retract the jacks with a drill last week. We drove all day in the rain a few weeks ago and I am wondering if there is a control box under the hood that could get wet.

The other issue has been bugging me ever since we drove it home in 09. It has too much play in the steering. It has been aligned twice and I put a safe T plus on it a few years ago. It is set a little off center so if there is no wind and the road is good it is a joy to drive. Then a semi passes you and you have to deal with the large amount of play in the wheel. On a windy day, “hearding” it down the road is exhausting.

Has anyone installed the steering gear kit that changes it to the old 3-turn lock-to-lock instead of the 4-turn lock-to-lock that Workhorse went to in 07. I would love to know how it would drive with that steering gear but hate to spend $5000 to find out.
Goldwingfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:04 PM   #2

Could try to pull the tow angle in slightly. You've checked all your rod ends on the tie rods and drag link?
cairnclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't help you with your leveling jacks problem. However, you might look into having the caster set to 5°-6°. This has helped many W series chassis that had a straight line steering vagueness.

Click HERE to read a IRV2 thread about caster.

The thread mentioned above shows how 3 members of IRV2 have changed the caster on their motorhomes with positive results. I have a W20, CamJam has a W22 and Harley has a W24. Adding 3° shims helped remove steering vagueness (wander) all three chassis types.

Changing the "toe" adjustment on your motorhome may not have any affect on the steering wander issue.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #4

Note that the 2007 models have the later steering box that is known for lots of free play on center. Brazel's did offer a kit to retrofit back to the earlier box. I doubt that it's an inexpensive solution. See this thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/slop...ng-203568.html

and this:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/alig...24-381528.html

That's not to say that the earlier suggestions won't be beneficial as well.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

Thanks, yeloduster , I will try find an alignment shop to set the caster to 5-6 deg and get their opinion on the steering gear.
Goldwingfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, steering