Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
3 trips to the west and 5 to Florida I have had a engine electrical failure going and coming, one time each way. Most of the time it goes into lime mode and sometimes it dont. I get a code and sometimes I don't.
The only code I have ever got is P0107 = manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit low input.
I have replaced the MAP sensor with no change.
It seems to do it when I have been loafing along for a good while under 70mph
In the Rocy Mts running realy hard (hight rpm) it has never quit.
I guess I,ll have to go to Centralia to stand a chance of getting it fixed.
Anybody have the answer?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
3 trips to the west and 5 to Florida I have had a engine electrical failure going and coming, one time each way. Most of the time it goes into lime mode and sometimes it dont. I get a code and sometimes I don't.
The only code I have ever got is P0107 = manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit low input.
I have replaced the MAP sensor with no change.
It seems to do it when I have been loafing along for a good while under 70mph
In the Rocy Mts running realy hard (hight rpm) it has never quit.
I guess I,ll have to go to Centralia to stand a chance of getting it fixed.
Anybody have the answer?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron, since you have already replaced the MAP, there is two other posibilities:

1) You have a short or open in one of the wires between the ECM and MAP (or a bad, loose connection).

2) If number one above is false your other option is to replace the ECM.

The above are taken from the GM DTC manual, with the assumption a TECH II scan tool has already been used with a "no definative cause" shown in the "Freeze Frame" scans.

Good Luck - Glenn
Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron55, I would start off with the simple stuff, and least expensive to.
I would do what we used to call a RE-SETTA, back the plug off the ECM
and look for something unusual on both the plug and ECM.

The next, as I understand there is 5 or 6 ground posts that are thruout
the chassis. Check each one for rust, corrosion and any frayed wires.
I have backed off some and retorked again, also tug on each wire individually
just to make sure it is not being held by a single strand or two.

And lastely you can take the engine cover off and with someone else driving
you can move the wire loooms that you can get to with your hand.
Any wires that are not easy to access or where you dont want your hand, get
a couple foot of wood dowel and use that to move those wires.

After this it could get expensive. Try to think back was there anything
that seems to be in common with pre limp modes. Heat, cold, rain,
after a hard pull, mayvbe after the engine has been heat soaked in town
and back on the interstate. Hope this makes sense, and you can come up
with the answer!!!Tenn.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, yep I need to do just what you said.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
Anybody have the answer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would like to suggest that you disconnect the engine battery and disconnect the plug on the ECM and let it sit overnight.

This will reset the ECM to factory defaults. This is one of the least invasive and least expensive procedure to attempt. I'd try it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
Anybody have the answer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would like to suggest that you disconnect the engine battery and disconnect the plug on the ECM and let it sit overnight.

This will reset the ECM to factory defaults. This is one of the least invasive and least expensive procedure to attempt. I'd try it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where is the ECM located on an early P chassis? Would this be the finned box on top of the engine?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tropical36:
Where is the ECM located on an early P chassis? Would this be the finned box on top of the engine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>tropical36, The box does present in the manner you described however on a P series there isn't an ECM but a PCM or Powertrain Control Module. The procedure I described is for an ECM equipped vehicle like a W series.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tropical36:
Where is the ECM located on an early P chassis? Would this be the finned box on top of the engine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>tropical36, The box does present in the manner you described however on a P series there isn't an ECM but a PCM or Powertrain Control Module. The procedure I described is for an ECM equipped vehicle like a W series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, there I go, silly me, assuming again. The reason I was asking is because on our last long trip, there were times, although not frequently, where the transmission really took it's good old time, getting back into overdrive after a downshift due to normal driving conditions. There were times when I would let up on the pedal to coax it it.
By the way, were there any changes in the first year or two of Workhorse ownership concerning the P chassis?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
By the way, were there any changes in the first year or two of Workhorse ownership concerning the P chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>tropical36, The biggest change was when Workhorse went from the narrow track P Series that they obtained from GM to the all new "Wide Track" P Series. The other major change was moving from a 454 to a 496 cu. in. engine.

I can't really speak from experience on the P series however we have a number of owners here that have them.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #11

By the way, were there any changes in the first year or two of Workhorse ownership concerning the P chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>tropical36, The biggest change was when Workhorse went from the narrow track P Series that they obtained from GM to the all new "Wide Track" P Series. The other major change was moving from a 454 to a 496 cu. in. engine.

I can't really speak from experience on the P series however we have a number of owners here that have them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Driver....
Do you know the approximate month/year that these two changes took place?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Do you know the approximate month/year that these two changes took place? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>tropical36, I can't quote the exact dates however it appears that the Wide Track was available in model year 2000 and the 8.1L engine appears to have made its debut in model year 2001.

Source: WGMHCG WCC-1419.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:20 AM   #13

Do you know the approximate month/year that these two changes took place? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>tropical36, I can't quote the exact dates however it appears that the Wide Track was available in model year 2000 and the 8.1L engine appears to have made its debut in model year 2001.

Source: WGMHCG WCC-1419. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's close enough and seems to correlate with the online workhorse manual, so I think I'm safe in assuming that the 99 model is pretty much the same as my 97/98 Chevy National. This should be a good thing, because I don't think I'm going to find an online Chevy manual as complete. I possibly have the best of both worlds, within this small realm when it comes to locating a service center.