Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2022, 11:24 PM   #1

Locked steering wheel

My steering wheel is locked and so is the ignition? Any advice on how to fix this issue? Itís a 97 fleetwood bounder with a Chevy chassis if that matters.
BeccaJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2022, 11:30 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are parked against the curb, or some other reason there may be pressure against a wheel, the steering wheel lock pin will have enough pressure against it you won’t be able to turn the key. Need to pull hard on steering wheel- whatever way it will move a little too release pressure on pin, and turn key at same time. Hopefully this helps
RichieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:30 AM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I agree. Since the ignition switch is on the steering wheel, it could be just like some cars where you have to pull hard on the steering wheel in one direction or the other and at the same time, with the key in the ignition, turn the ignition switch while pulling the steering wheel HARD until it won't move further and keeping pressure on it.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #4

You got to pull steering wheel one way or the other to release pressure on lock.. carefully or you could break lock internally.. next time.. to help prevent this in future.. just turn ignition off to stop engine but not all the way.. let go of steering wheel.. once the steering wheel stops turning by itself.. as it releases pressure.. then turn key rest of way.. and when you get iip.. d ont push off steering wheel.. if the front tires are against something.. you are most likely going to need some one.. with pickup or light duty wrecker and have them pull rv away from the obstruction just a tiny bit to release pressure on front tires and while you pull on steering wheel one way or the other to release.. while trying to turn key..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #5

Pay a local auto thief to remove the ignition lock, should take less than 3 minutes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #6

Lightbulb

Thank you all for the info, I did get it. The issue is my parking pawl is not working so when I park I have to crank the wheel almost all the way to one side, so I have time to put the chocks out. Being disabled as I am itís difficult to get up without using the steering wheel. Iím working on finding my way around these issues.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #7

Do you have park on trans. What engine trans. Are you sure you don't have driveshaft emergency/parking brake.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:41 PM   #8

Take some of your favorite spray lube.. spray in where key goes.. then top of round cylinder where key turns.. then down inside column.. next.. get in the habit of.. turning off part way.. until engine stops.. you will feel the pressure come off steering.. then finish turning off... and pulling key out.. don't be in such a hurry.. you have to let hydraulic pressure from p/s pump bleed off.. yes you can hold the wheel turned but you let the pressure on steering wheel bleed off.. also time for basic maintenance on steering column.. with spray lube.. and fix that parking brake.. we can help.. if you tell us what is going on.. and what type you have..
Old 10-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #9

If it's a case of jamming the wheels against something so the ignition locks up I wouldn't be spraying anything into the column. Anything you spray in there will eventually attract dirt and dust and cause another problem. There are quite a few moving parts in the locking mechanism in these columns.
You'd be better off getting the park issue fixed. Someday at sometime you might be trying to chock the wheels when the coach wants to roll. You don't want to wrestle with a 20,000# plus house on wheels. You don't want the coach to roll away and injure someone else or cause property damage either.
If you have "Auto Park" we'll be glad to offer help also.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #10

I do have auto park that light is always on now. I keep trying to research that but I’m mot finding anything. Can you tell me what auto park is?
Old 10-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #11

Here on this site.. go to workhorse/ Chevy rv forum .. then there to workhorse/ Chevy important discussions.. then item 28.. be ready to download a lot of information.. then go to autopark.com.. same.. be ready to download a lot more..
Real basic.. rv is too heavy to work like car.. no pin in trans to stop rv when put in park.. so they used special brake drum on trans to hold rv in place . when you put it in park.. now light on.. and auto park not working.. means.. no brake to stop rolling.. so you got to chock all wheels.. could be 0 to fix.. if you do it yourself to about hundred to fix.. or more.. but 1st.. you need to read up.. so you will understand what we are talking about..
We need to know.. does your rv.. have big yellow knob on left side of dash.. or brake peddle ?? I am thinking you have what looks like an emergency brake on far left side.. Is that correct ? If so.. does it work? If not why?
Report back and better opinions will follow.. but here is tricky part.. very few of us.. can even find someone to work on these.. and when we do.. most times they can be dishonest.. so you are on the hook to fix things.. or educate yourself.. so you don't get ripped off.. now it's not that hard.. you have already done the hardest work .. by just reaching out to us.. we have some really dedicated members here.. that will help you through this.. even if you are like me.. slow and broken.. what I did.. was download and printed off stuff.. so when I got under rv.. I could look back and forth.. and see what is what.. you may have your own ways.. the nice thing is.. it uses all basic hand tools.. and just a little time..
Old 10-18-2022, 03:24 PM   #12

unlock wheels

Lift the front end clear of the ground, front wheels will be free. This is what I had to do
fivejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #13

If it turns out you need steering column and/or ignition related part/s head here...https://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaJ1 View Post
I do have auto park that light is always on now. I keep trying to research that but Iím mot finding anything. Can you tell me what auto park is?
I would advise you to start another thread related to your Auto Park issue. Others have had problems and will jump in. Between all of us we should be able to walk you through the diagnosis and repair procedures.
Start by telling us what you have found or done so far.
There are different variations of the AP so the more folks you get involved the better chance you have of finding someone with or has had the exact system you have and maybe have had same symptoms.
BTW, welcome to the forum.

Tags
steering