Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #1

Looking for location to purchase catalytic converter

Looking for a location to purchase right, left side converters around central Ohio. Mine were cut off and stolen. Police report taken, insurance came out to look.

Insurance states the driver side is not available to after Jan 2023. Both of them have different part numbers.
Insurance did not give me the part numbers to look for.

Any help would be greatful

Manufacturer: NEWMAR
Brand: KOUNTRY STAR
Model: 3742-WORKHORSE
2005 3742 Workhorse MD/HD Trk W24 8.1L MFI OHV 8cyl
mooserd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #2

Well you could just wait 3 or 4 months.. or one opinion.. you could take some pictures of the damage.. and collect insurance check less deductible.. and labor.. then take matters in your own hand.. next.. find out the OD. Of pipes on each side.. for front section and rear section.. each side.. and length of missing sections.. then get hi flow aftermarket cats. At jegs.com or summit racing. Com.. there should be plenty to choose from.. easy dyi.. make sure.. before you contact insurance for check.. that there is no missed damage.. many times the o2 sensors are just ripped off.. or other wiring damage..
Now I am not telling you what to do.. but one could.. just straight pipe until you can get parts.. or until cats are needed.. now is your chance to experiment.. try without cats.. and see if there is any difference.. but that is up to you.. you did not remove them.. but you might have to replace if you sell.. but who knows.. you might find as many of us do.. they are many times not needed if you take very good care of your engine.. this is no excuse to pollute.. you must keep engine in top tune.. and not drive a beater ..and just me.. one could farther experiment and get rid of stock mufflers..
So if I was just experimenting .. bolt on 2 glass packs.. with 2 turn downs.. drive it.. ignore check engine light.. for now.. see how she feels and noise levels.. then you decide what to do.. you can walk into any good auto parts store and get stuff cheap.. from my experience.. you will never go back.. and cats will never again be stolen.. you will have no worries.. just you tube how to bypass rear o2 sensor and you should be set.. but it's your rig..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-28-2022, 04:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Well you could just wait 3 or 4 months.. or one opinion.. you could take some pictures of the damage.. and collect insurance check less deductible.. and labor.. then take matters in your own hand.. next.. find out the OD. Of pipes on each side.. for front section and rear section.. each side.. and length of missing sections.. then get hi flow aftermarket cats. At jegs.com or summit racing. Com.. there should be plenty to choose from.. easy dyi.. make sure.. before you contact insurance for check.. that there is no missed damage.. many times the o2 sensors are just ripped off.. or other wiring damage..
Now I am not telling you what to do.. but one could.. just straight pipe until you can get parts.. or until cats are needed.. now is your chance to experiment.. try without cats.. and see if there is any difference.. but that is up to you.. you did not remove them.. but you might have to replace if you sell.. but who knows.. you might find as many of us do.. they are many times not needed if you take very good care of your engine.. this is no excuse to pollute.. you must keep engine in top tune.. and not drive a beater ..and just me.. one could farther experiment and get rid of stock mufflers..
So if I was just experimenting .. bolt on 2 glass packs.. with 2 turn downs.. drive it.. ignore check engine light.. for now.. see how she feels and noise levels.. then you decide what to do.. you can walk into any good auto parts store and get stuff cheap.. from my experience.. you will never go back.. and cats will never again be stolen.. you will have no worries.. just you tube how to bypass rear o2 sensor and you should be set.. but it's your rig..
they were stolen. one of the pipes converters will not be available till Jan 2023. Otherwise, looking for something so I can use the RV. Drove back from Paint Creek State Park with the converters were missing. Thought I was going to be pulled over due to the noise. Otherwise ran with no check engine lights coming on.
mooserd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"donr103" gave you good advice. There are aftermarket converters. You just need to know the tube size. I'm guessing a muffler shop could do the ordering and the work or buy from Jegs or Summit and take them to a shop. They DON'T have to be GM specific.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:03 PM   #5

I bet it did.. I am 62 and do not like loud engines of any types.. that Chevy big block sounds like thunder.. way too loud.. get yourself some glass packs mufflers.. they will drop the sound by about 85% and 2 slip clamps and see if better.. I just cut that pig old muffler out.. on mine and put 2 thrush. Glass packs on mine.. for less than 100.00 for everything.. simple hand tools.. now I like the longer ones because they are quieter.. they should last 5 to 10yrs.. unless you pull.. they make many better brands.. that last longer and quieter.. just Google glass packs.. remember a shop will not do this.. if you are looking for a shop.. to do all the work.. you most likely going to wait 4 Months.. but if you need temporarily fix now.. this is what you will need to do.. I am just trying to get you by.. so.. let it sit.. and rent another rv.. or get dirty.. it is illegal to pay anyone to bypass any emissions equipment..but if you own it.. well you own it.. but if your state has emissions testing.. then on next test you will have to have it fixed.. by the way.. you drove it some.. was it any better.. besides the noise .. ? Did you check your gas mileage ? Bet it was better all the way around.. except for that terrible noise .. just my opinion..
Old 10-31-2022, 09:11 PM   #6

Mine off my 2004 8.1 W22 were stolen as well. I replaced them with these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They fit perfectly. I installed them myself and pocketed the $2,300 check I got from the insurance company. About 15k miles on them now and no problems.

These converters are not CARB (California) compliant, but since you're in Ohio that shouldn't matter.
CamJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:21 AM   #7

As long as you are not in Cali go aftermarket and get it done. Likely 3 or 4 months could turn into 6 or ? Many good companies out there other than dealer! Magnaflow is a good name!!!!

Tags
cat, converter, location, purchase