Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I just had stainless exaust tips installed. The tech noticed the whole system would move at the engine manifold. He checked the bolts and said they were tight and could not be tightened anymore. This is on both sides. Having read 03HRVactioner, I wonder if this is normal, or should I be checking with my local workhouse service center. I have 12,000 miles , and still have warranty.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Loose exhaust ?

I just had stainless exaust tips installed. The tech noticed the whole system would move at the engine manifold. He checked the bolts and said they were tight and could not be tightened anymore. This is on both sides. Having read 03HRVactioner, I wonder if this is normal, or should I be checking with my local workhouse service center. I have 12,000 miles , and still have warranty.

Equinox Toad
Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #3

How funny I read this. Look at my posts....I had the same reaction with my muffler shop when they "raised" my pipes up instead of hanging down so low. The guy showed me that Workhorse quit using springs on the donuts that connect to the manifolds anymore and you can move your pipes all around those donuts.....when your engine runs, SUPPOSEDLY they heat up and seat enough....

I questioned this on this forum, and the general consensus from some including DriVer, was that this was normal. The muffler shop said this was NOT normal, but I left it the way it was.

Reach under your engine, grab the COLD pipes and move them around in your donuts...check it out! Weird!!!

If you take yours to Workhorse, please PM me what they say.

Maybe Brazels can tell us if these loose pipe connections in the donuts on the exhaust manifolds are normal?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Yes this is a pretty normal condition on WH chassis'. If you are not experiencing any exhaust leaks from this donut gasket but it still moves around a bit, workhorse does not consider this a problem. In some extreme cases we have welded a cross brace between the two pipes to help add rigidity to the system but over time this could lead to a cracked exhaust pipe from metal fatigue. Hope this helps!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #5

Yes Jon....I've had the same concerns over this since last year. I'm thrilled to hear that this is a somewhat normal operation.

Thanks for the response!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad to hear that this is normal I think? The muffler shop was able to do some adjusting to the pipes coming from the muffler. All looks good for now, my exaust was also low.

Equinox Toad
Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got the call today from the shop, broken stud caused the leak, the manifold has been sent out to be machined flat, I guess after the bold breaks it causes the manifold to warp. The good news is the manifold was not cracked. All new studs and 3 hrs of labor, I'm pleased with that, it could have been a lot worse.

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The end has to be ground so it will tighten up on the gasket. Mine was done at a workhorse service center. No they are not suppose to be loose and they won,t tighen up.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I talked to my local workhorse service center. They said to bring it in so they could look at it, he also said there have been some problems with the donuts. I won't be able to report back until I take it out of storage middle of Nov. I will have it checked before we head south that will be, last of Nov.

Equinox Toad
Old 09-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recall one car I used to have... What you call the "Donuts" they called "Exhaust flanges" and as it turns out International Harvester called "Fire Rings" (The fact that the IHC. Scout was still "new" tells you how long ago this was)

Those dange things were a major PITA (Pain In The Anatomy) there were two kinds. Sclintered metal ones lasted, but would not stay in place, Fiber ones lasted about an hour, but did remain in place.. I finally figured out how to use parts of one with the other and then it lasted till the exhaust was replaced... but AMC had discontinued the metal rings.. Thankfully IHC did not. Same exact part, Same manufacturer.. I had to track all the way back to the"out source" to get one.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just an update with my loose exaust. The exaust is loose and the parts are coming from Workhorse. The tech said that there is an upgrade to fix the problem. He also said they have repaired a couple others, but not that many.

Equinox Toad
Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 AM   #12

Stearn, give us some pics and part numbers when you do the job...

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a note, sometimes when the OEM stretches the chassis, they re-arrange the exhaust brackets/hangers and may change the position/clearance of the exhaust system.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did not get any pictures of the work done. They did do the repair with the parts( ordered from WH ) that are supposed to fix the problem. The service mgr said he believed the part numbers are GM.
The part #15170285. Hope this helps!
Roy

Equinox Toad