Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #1

Lost overdrive on p30 454 Daybreak 1999

Driving down highway shifting from drive to overdrive heard a bang and lost that gear was able to gethome in 3 gear at 3200 rpm instead of 1900 rpm
Any ideal of what happen because transmission works great except no over drive

Thank you

Jean
leobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

Google 4L80E trans....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #3

Thank you
Old 04-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Google 4L80E trans....
WOW, you could answer every question on every thread on every forum with your advice.

Geeeeez, if you can't help just bypass the thread.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
WOW, you could answer every question on every thread on every forum with your advice.

Geeeeez, if you can't help just bypass the thread.
Pictures give a person a better look at what makes up the OD part of the trans....and keep your remarks to yourself.....if you can't contribute....I've rebuilt more of those then you'll ever see....
Old 04-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #6

Thank you but his answer was helpfull i did nt know the type of transmission i had so from research could be electrical body valve orfull tranny will see ehen out
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Pictures give a person a better look at what makes up the OD part of the trans....and keep your remarks to yourself.....if you can't contribute....I've rebuilt more of those then you'll ever see....
Old 04-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "bang" part is concerning.

When you say "no overdrive" does it try to shift from third and over-rev like a missed shift, or does it just stay in third and not want to shift to OD no matter what RPM, speed or engine load?

If you've got OBDII you might be able to pull drivetrain codes and get a better idea what it's upset about.

The 4L80/85's have a known issue with the valve body that's covered in a GM service bulletin. Another failure point is the electrical connector on the side can leak transmission fluid causing problems with electrical signals. Not saying any of this is your problem specifically but they're known issues with 4L80/85's.

If you're "lucky" it's a valve body or solenoid problem that can be fixed without dropping the tranny. I don't have a good handle on specific details but shift patterns on some trannies are influenced by engine sensors, so that's another variable to check. Pulling OBD codes would be my first step. Something to know about OBD is some drivetrain codes self-reset, so the best time to get codes is as soon as you can after the problem happens.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #8

Thank you i was there a month ago drive was going perfect until i down shift in kentucky for a hill then shift back in 4 go on for 10 sec then heard a bang tranny work fine for 1 2 3 gear until i got home 1500 miles

Try it a few times after that there is no 4 gear at all

So will get Rv to tranny shop will keep you update

Jean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
The "bang" part is concerning.

When you say "no overdrive" does it try to shift from third and over-rev like a missed shift, or does it just stay in third and not want to shift to OD no matter what RPM, speed or engine load?

If you've got OBDII you might be able to pull drivetrain codes and get a better idea what it's upset about.

The 4L80/85's have a known issue with the valve body that's covered in a GM service bulletin. Another failure point is the electrical connector on the side can leak transmission fluid causing problems with electrical signals. Not saying any of this is your problem specifically but they're known issues with 4L80/85's.

If you're "lucky" it's a valve body or solenoid problem that can be fixed without dropping the tranny. I don't have a good handle on specific details but shift patterns on some trannies are influenced by engine sensors, so that's another variable to check. Pulling OBD codes would be my first step. Something to know about OBD is some drivetrain codes self-reset, so the best time to get codes is as soon as you can after the problem happens.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 04-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for this post leobadger. I have an 4L80 xmission too and drive mostly in hilly country. Previously I would shift out of OD for going up hills, but was told to just leave it in OD and let the xmission system figure out the correct gear to be in. Now I still downshift for going down hills to save on braking, but leave it in OD otherwise. What do you xmission experts think?
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #10

Really depends on the 'hill'.......with my Dodge, if it's a long uphill pull, I shift out of O/D, then trans shifts into 3rd and still has converter locked up.....less rpm......and steep enough downgrade, I'll also turn O/D off and let compression help ........
Old 04-07-2020, 05:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Thank you for this post leobadger. I have an 4L80 xmission too and drive mostly in hilly country. Previously I would shift out of OD for going up hills, but was told to just leave it in OD and let the xmission system figure out the correct gear to be in. Now I still downshift for going down hills to save on braking, but leave it in OD otherwise. What do you xmission experts think?
Did not see him yet all close here until 4 msy with that virus sowill wait when things go back to normal
Old 04-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, I do "anticipated" shifts into third and back to 4th depending on what I see ahead. For some reason if I let the tranny decide it goes from lugging in 4th and downshifts to 2nd, screams at high rpm for a second there then up to third. So I save that back and forth by just doing it myself, which is usually pretty easy to predict by speed and gas pedal. In general the 8.1 torque, trans and rear end ratios are pretty well matched and does fine on the flat/interstate so downshifting isn't frequent. Up in the mountains here 4th is wishful thinking with those grades, altitude and speeds, so 2nd/3rd is the usual mode.

I've driven manuals all my life and would love to have that simplicity and utility in my RV. I get why auto trannies have become the standard but they sure can be a pain when there are issues.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the replies.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I have the same tranny in a Roadtrek with a 5.7 engine. With the trailer behind it I'm at 11,000 lbs. This particular trans has a propensity to build heat quite quickly when pulling a load up a grade if the torque converter is not locked in. If I have a grade in front of me I drop the trans into 3rd, get a torque converter lock and build speed.

I do have an app in my phone that monitors trans temperature. Not knowing how hot the trans is getting can be detrimental to it's longevity.

Also, if not done yet, switching to DexronVI is a good thing to do.

My set up only has single core radiator, I'm sure yours would have the dual core. That has to help. I also have the factory trans cooler up front, about 12x12, with a small pusher fan in front of it.

These seem to be good trannys until they are abused(over heated). Mine has over 200k on it.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, 454, p30