Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2005, 08:59 PM   #1

Since I bought my 2001 W22 almost 90 days ago, practically every time I return the steering wheel to the center position after making a fairly sharp left turn, I hear a loud clunk. You would think the front end has fallen off! I have had it in for general front end inspection and tire balancing, but not for the "clunk" problem specifically. I did mention it to the chassis tech last week at a local shop. He said sometimes the springs and stops can become "un-centered" and make noises when settling back together. I can't stand the noise for fear that it could be a big problem brewing.
Any experience or comments?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2005, 08:59 PM   #2

Since I bought my 2001 W22 almost 90 days ago, practically every time I return the steering wheel to the center position after making a fairly sharp left turn, I hear a loud clunk. You would think the front end has fallen off! I have had it in for general front end inspection and tire balancing, but not for the "clunk" problem specifically. I did mention it to the chassis tech last week at a local shop. He said sometimes the springs and stops can become "un-centered" and make noises when settling back together. I can't stand the noise for fear that it could be a big problem brewing.
Any experience or comments?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #3

I get the same thing. But get usually happens when making a shapr turn and it hits a bump. Sounds like a loose suspension part but yet everything looks fine.

Paul
03 Condor
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #4

I guess mine really occurs when I'm crossing a bump in my path also. Strange to say the least!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:04 AM   #5

I would follow up by going to a reputable truck alignment facility. Can you make the clunk noise happen just by turning your wheels back & forth in your driveway? Consider lying down under the front end while the wife turns the wheels lock-to-lock. Maybe you can see or hear something pop.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like what I have experienced on my MH. Mine sounded like clatter of leaf springs when turning left and hitiing some road bumps at the same time. Several WH service centers could find nothing wrong.
While changing oil. Last fall I noticed nylon isolator spacers missing on left front spring at each end in comparison to what was on right spring. WH agreed to replace all front spring isolators. After that we have driven over 4000 miles and not had a single occurence of this noise. Look at your leaf springs and check for a spacer that is sandwiched between the eye of the top leaf and the flat surface of the bottom leaf at each end of the spring. My left side spacers were gone and right side ones appeared worn thru. This clatter existed in mine from day one so I conclude that they never were installed.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by abarkl:
Any experience or comments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you find the cause for the noise in front suspension of your motorhome. Just curious, sounds exactly what I am now expieriencing with mine.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
dieselclacker, have you looked under front end the discription M&EM posted is what it has been for others. Have it check out by a WH center or trucking outfit.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
dieselclacker,
Others have also posted on shocks bottoming or topping out which may allow clatter of the spring leaves. I don't know for sure whether that may have been the case for me since WHCC replaced my front shocks with Bilsteins at about the same time they replaced spring spacers that I mention in above post.

Before shock replacememnt, my coach porposed violently at times and certain road conditions. The clacking you mention also occured when making left turns and hitting road bumps at the same time or-more so when on a highly crowned road. All this went away after above repairs were made. I now have an additional 20,000 miles with no more suspension noises.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had a loud clunk like this it turned out to be the steering gear box was loose on the frame. I found it by jacking the front wheels off the ground and then turning the street side wheel back and forth. The gear box flopped all over the place.

Glenn