Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Loud front bang !

I have a 2002 Fleetwood on a W22 chassis. In the past few weeks while driving down the road and hitting a few bumps or dips, I get a loud snap on the passenger side. My wife says it feels like it is coming through the floor boards. My mechanic and I have checked the shocks, springs, etc: without finding anything. Could it possibly be in the bushings in the square torsion bar? If so where can I get new bushings?
b-u-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sort of sounds like the elastomeric snubber (that yellow thing on each side) is hitting and bottoming out. It may be that the shocks are worn and letting it hit too hard.
Mine did that on the drivers side until I got new shocks.

By the way if you still have the 2 inch stabilizer (torsion) bar I would replace it with the 2 1/2 inch bar WH started using in Sep of 03. It makes a great difference in roll and sway. That will also give you new bushings.

I did the job myself (easy to do) and I think the total cost including renting a 500 foot pound torque wrench for a day was about $150.

This is an email I got from Workhorse:
"The installation is very straightforward. Remove 4 retaining nuts while supporting bar, remove bar, hold new bar in position, reinstall 4 retaining nuts, and torque to specification (275 foot pounds). This procedure is NOT meant to replace the service manual, but is a generalized procedure.

The upgraded stabilizer bar has been shown to provide the following benefits:
1. Reduced Body Roll when cornering.
2. Reduced "rocking" when passed by or passing large vehicles.
3. Reduced "rocking" when traversing bumps on an angle."
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-u-d View Post
I have a 2002 Fleetwood on a W22 chassis. In the past few weeks while driving down the road and hitting a few bumps or dips, I get a loud snap on the passenger side. My wife says it feels like it is coming through the floor boards. My mechanic and I have checked the shocks, springs, etc: without finding anything. Could it possibly be in the bushings in the square torsion bar? If so where can I get new bushings?

b.u.d.

Your noise sure sounds like the one I had several years ago on my W22.

There is a kit available from Workhorse for missing teflon type spacer bushings on the spring hangers. The kit number is 2943. Do a simple search in the search box at the top of this forum, for more information. Just put in "front spring pop".
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
The upgraded stabilizer bar has been shown to provide the following benefits ...
Yes sir! Absolutely.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A slight chance it could be a heat shield flexing.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar noise coming from just below the back of the passenger seat. Took some searching, it turned out to be a part of the flat steel cross joist supporting the floor had a crack in the bottom, where the flat joist was punched out probally to provide the passing of wiring etc. Just remove your engine cover and with a flash light, look down and behind towards the rear of the coach, that flat steel crossmember joist is about a foot back, mine was cracked/broken open at the bottom edge. A little bit of JB Weld and voila, fixed, noise gone.

Hope this is helpful. Edouard.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The sound is just like what I was hearing on the passenger side and my wife described it the same as yours. I really only heard it at slow speeds on uneven surfaces. Mine turned out to be a broken weld that attached the front cap to the frame and a broken weld that attached the box to the frame. Both could be viewed from the front wheel well, forward and aft of the tire. After having them welded, no noise....knock on wood. Here is one photo and I can probably find a pic of the second area too. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/front...se-105770.html
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #8

I had that problem when the rubber bushing on one end of the stabilizer or torsion bar cam out for some reason. That allowed the bar to hit the frame or hanger. It really sounded like fast taps on the metal frame with a hammer.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I've seen broken stabilizer bars too and they make noise. The weld split and the 2 ends worked against one another.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #10

"Loud Front End Bang"

Thanks to all the responses to my problem with my 2002 Southwind Motorhome. We found the problem! It was a 1-1/2" square tube that is part of the support for the passenger side of the house and framework for radiator and etc: It was broke completely in half. All welded and we are back on the road.
b-u-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update, that seems to be a common problem, I have it also.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-u-d View Post
All welded and we are back on the road.
Yes indeed, Thanks for the update. We have seen broken framing members here before but those are very rare.