Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Loud Pop in Front End

I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone has seen this before and already figured it out. My 2005 W24 has developed an intermittent loud pop in the right front suspension usually when making a slow turn - such as when pulling into a driveway type scenario. Steering wheel is not at full lock, but a healthy turn nevertheless. Its a low mile rig - 22000 miles. Since I've had it, (5 yrs now) the chassis has been greased annually which equates to about every 4000 to 5000 miles. I've been under the coach several times looking and find nothing that I can attribute this to. Thanks.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone has seen this before and already figured it out. My 2005 W24 has developed an intermittent loud pop in the right front suspension usually when making a slow turn - such as when pulling into a driveway type scenario. Steering wheel is not at full lock, but a healthy turn nevertheless. Its a low mile rig - 22000 miles. Since I've had it, (5 yrs now) the chassis has been greased annually which equates to about every 4000 to 5000 miles. I've been under the coach several times looking and find nothing that I can attribute this to. Thanks.
jt

First thought that came to my mind was a worn ball joint. The second thought was a possible loose wheel bearing. I'd take it to a good front end shop to be sure.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. You have to Jack up each tire and give it a good wiggle. If it wiggles in and out it's a bearing issue.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Stabilizer bar

There are bolts on each end of the stabilizer bar that connect to the A arms I've seen both of them broke on cars I've owned. They are the weak link in the system, so they break before the bar will. Check those too.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Have a close look at the spring pins.

What you could be hearing could be just side play.

I have seen it many times on trucks.

Go to an open area and do a series of left to right and back again turns.

Usually it only clunks once each way.

The fix was to install shims on the spring pins to tighten up the side play.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies. Some good ideas on things to check. I really like Unplanned's thought. That makes a lot of sense. As far as ball joints and wheel bearings, I wouldn't think either could be worn so badly in just 20k miles, but there is always the possibility. Also, I would think if a wheel bearing were out, there would be noise and very sloppy steering. Still, needs to be verified. I've looked hard at the stabilizer bar and brackets, and not seen any issue, but next time I'm under the coach I'll visit that area again. Keep the ideas coming. Many times, issues such as this are common to a model. Was just hoping someone else had had the same issue and resolved.
jt
Old 02-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #7

Sometime the safety steer will make a sound like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Thanks for the replies. Some good ideas on things to check. I really like Unplanned's thought. That makes a lot of sense. As far as ball joints and wheel bearings, I wouldn't think either could be worn so badly in just 20k miles, but there is always the possibility. Also, I would think if a wheel bearing were out, there would be noise and very sloppy steering. Still, needs to be verified. I've looked hard at the stabilizer bar and brackets, and not seen any issue, but next time I'm under the coach I'll visit that area again. Keep the ideas coming. Many times, issues such as this are common to a model. Was just hoping someone else had had the same issue and resolved.
jt
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #8

If you have one . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchch3 View Post
Sometime the safety steer will make a sound like that.
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchch3 View Post
If you have one . . .
Nope.
jt
Old 02-23-2020, 05:31 AM   #10

Loud Pop in Front End

Are there ball joints on the W24? I didn’t think there were with the solid axle and don’t recall seeing any when contorted like a pretzel to grease the steering. The spring pins sound like a likely candidate. Maybe the steering tie rod end as I think it rotates a bit when turning to high angles.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Are there ball joints on the W24? I didn’t think there were with the solid axle and don’t recall seeing any when contorted like a pretzel to grease the steering. The spring pins sound like a likely candidate. Maybe the steering tie rod end as I think it rotates a bit when turning to high angles.

No, no ball joints. It uses a kingpin.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #12

My 2002 Itasca does the same thing. Turning on off camber slopes i get a single loud pop from the front end. Its rare but it does happen. I haven’t figured out what it is either.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #13
US1

Do you have to be in motion or will it pop while sitting still and turning the wheel?
Old 02-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Do you have to be in motion or will it pop while sitting still and turning the wheel?

For my Itasca I have to be in motion going slow. Turning the wheel at least half way to the lock and on an a significant off camber. The way I have to pull out of my parking spot at home does it every time. Not going in, just out and that is about the only place I have heard to pop. Its a solid pop though. First few times it did it I looked hard for the source. Took it to a local shop and they found nothing wrong and couldn’t repeat the pop.
I will figure it out at some point. This summer I will put my wife behind the wheel and I will look/listen closely from outside and try to pin down the pop when pulling out of our parking spot at home.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote