Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all, Tom Brickwell here, aka, newbie.
Our "low oil pressure" lamp and alarm came on after hitting a speedbump. It stayed on at low rpm's and went away after reving the engine. Then came back when the rpms went back down. This done AFTER checking the oil level and for leaks.
I checked the digital oil pressure in our little computer instrument panel and noticed that the lamp didn't come on until the pressure showed "0" zero. Now obviously there's no way there could be zero pressure with a running engine....wellll, maybe a kablooied engine. It wasn't making any noise or scattering parts.
I realized that it must be an electrical problem and went the rest of the way home to Fairbanks, Ak. with no problems. I did notice that after hitting some bumps in the road,I started to get normal pressure readings again. Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I was getting readings, but they didn't seem quite right. I also found that when I slowed back down to "Idle", my oil pressure lamp and alarm did not come back up. Lucky me. I'm under warrenty as this was our first trip with our new 2004 Brave. Has this happened to any of you?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all, Tom Brickwell here, aka, newbie.
Our "low oil pressure" lamp and alarm came on after hitting a speedbump. It stayed on at low rpm's and went away after reving the engine. Then came back when the rpms went back down. This done AFTER checking the oil level and for leaks.
I checked the digital oil pressure in our little computer instrument panel and noticed that the lamp didn't come on until the pressure showed "0" zero. Now obviously there's no way there could be zero pressure with a running engine....wellll, maybe a kablooied engine. It wasn't making any noise or scattering parts.
I realized that it must be an electrical problem and went the rest of the way home to Fairbanks, Ak. with no problems. I did notice that after hitting some bumps in the road,I started to get normal pressure readings again. Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I was getting readings, but they didn't seem quite right. I also found that when I slowed back down to "Idle", my oil pressure lamp and alarm did not come back up. Lucky me. I'm under warrenty as this was our first trip with our new 2004 Brave. Has this happened to any of you?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #3

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere in the ground return line, or an intermittent oil pressure sender wire. Seems unlikely that it's a problem with the instrument panel firmware since only one signal is affected.

Take advantage of your warranty and schlep it to the dealer.

regards,

Mahlon
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Malon,
Thank-you very much for your reply. I kind of had the same idea as yours, but I was glad to hear from another owner. Boy, it's really nice to have people to bounce ideas off of.
It's in the shop getting the checklist of things taken care of that we found on our shakedown trip.
Thanks again,
Tom
Old 06-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #5

TOM and MAHLON : Since you are both new and have already gotten off to a good start, let me say WELCOME TO iRV2.com

Tom, Glad to read you made it home to AK!

May I suggest to both that you add some rig identifying info as your signature so we can better help you. Thanks for joining us and we look forward to hearing what the solution to your problem is. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thank-you, edgray,
Oh boy, I really feel official now!:-)
Old 06-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 also TOM & MAHLON, If your need anymore info on pesky gnd's check my posts for more info we have been covering the other side of your batt ckt pretty well this past spring. You can also go to find above you an type in gnd. They can cause you some headaches. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again all,
Here's an update. I got the coach back with most everything fixed.
The dealer said that they ordered a new oil pressure sencing unit. So it looks like Mahlon gets an applause for his answer!
Thanks to all for your replies. This irv2 site really grooves! Oops, I'm showing my age.
See ya.

AKBrick
Old 07-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just returned from a round trip San Jose, CA to Reno Nevada up 7200 feet of mountains. I noted that when climbing in 4th and downshifting to either 3rd or 2nd that the oil pressure warning light would come on and stay on until the top of the hill and shifting back into 4th gear again. Checked the oil it was full and was changed at 3000 miles and was currently at 4400 miles.
The same thing happened on the return home a week later.
Took the coach to the Workhorse warranty shop in San Jose for a list of 12 new warranty items and 4 carried over from last time in shop due to parts not in.
The manager tells me they are familiar with this and it is a problem with the new dash unit they installed a few months ago. It has to be reprogrammed for this problem and they are not sure if they can do it in house or not. that would make me guess a second replacement of this dash unit?
I begin to wonder if we will ever get this box of parts to act like a new motorhome
I have had hardly any problems with the chassis but the coach now has way over 100 warranty items.
Bill Forrest
Old 07-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again all,
We just got back this week from a 900 miler down to the Kenai pinninsula and we didn't have another problem with the dash so far. We are still waiting for the oil pressure sensor to be installed. All in all, it was a great trip. Eagles, moose and dall sheep viewing. Oh yeah, lots of salmon, which refused to take my lure. Skunked again this summer.....but next time!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:30 AM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I had my dash "checked" yesterday and the tech said it didn't need to be flashed. On my way home (350 miles) I found that when ever I climbed a long hill and the cruse downshifted and the rpm went up to aprox 4500 rpm a warnin g would come on - low oil pressure.
I set the reading to read the pressure and it was running from 27 - 33psi. As soon as the ransmission shifted up and the rpm dropped 300- 500- the warning would go off.
At idle I was getting 16 psi but the light wouldn't come on.
Any simular problems?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOur tech is obviously wrong. Read the posts.
Bill
Old 07-27-2005, 05:41 PM   #13
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I talked to Workhorse today and was told that the Low Pressure Indicator is a known phenomen when the rpm gets "too" high and it dosn't indicate a actuall problem.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JCM,
If you don't think it is a problem then I guess you won't bother to go to a GM dealer and get it done. Actually there are three non problems that are cured when it is fixed.
What will happen if you don't get it done and you get used to it, then one day the oil lamp lights up but you ignore it until all the rods and mains are laying along side the road behind you. Was it a problem?