Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my W22 serviced today in a workhorse warranty shop at a cost of 79.95 plus hazard fee of 5.00 and sales tax. this included lube, Oil and filter change only plus a 22 point safety inspection which it passed all.
This service is normally quoted at 150.00 which seems pretty high to me even for California, where 80.00 is a bargain for my San Francisco area.
What say you people.
Thanks for your replys,
Bebop
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my W22 serviced today in a workhorse warranty shop at a cost of 79.95 plus hazard fee of 5.00 and sales tax. this included lube, Oil and filter change only plus a 22 point safety inspection which it passed all.
This service is normally quoted at 150.00 which seems pretty high to me even for California, where 80.00 is a bargain for my San Francisco area.
What say you people.
Thanks for your replys,
Bebop
Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best deal I have found up here is $105.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Inland Chevrolet in Hemet CA runs $65-70.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 8.1 holds the same amount , or less than many pick up trucks and the oil filter is the same. It is actually easier to change than a Pickup trk, especially a 4WD.
Do we have to pay 3 or 4 times more just because our vehicles are so big? I guess that's also why it's so hard to find someone who wants to work on them too.
I can change the oil faster than I could drive to a shop to have it done.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
It has little to with size and everything to do with $$$/labor charges. At $100+ an hour they get at least $50 for an oil change. Now add in the inflated cost of the oil, filter and grease the bill just jumped another $60. Lastly, toss in shop supplies, oil recovery fee and what ever else and you have a $125 oil change. They may even tell that the techs are ASE certified. Right, I need to good to class to learn to change oil.

My oil change runs about $50 for a 2 qt filter and 7 qts of synthetic oil. I bought a small hand pump grease gun an 3 tubes of grease (to replace my 30 year old grease gun) at Wally World for about $12. Now I can grease my rig and cars for probably 5 years or better. Do the math.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #7

My experience has been the cost of lube service has been a high of $154.72 in New Braunfels, Texas to a low of $59.10 in Hemet, California.
JB Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:57 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dale, you hit it right on the head. Labor costs. Not all of us are physically able to do the real lubrication called for on the chassis and it is worth it to have it done right. Changing the oil and filter may be a snap but I defy a quick lube place to even know where to lube the fittings on my chassis. They look for fluids only, if that. I asked Camping World how many fittings do they lube when they do their $79.97 lube and oil change. "Uh, I think it's about 4."
Old 10-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It's 12 zerk's on mine. At least now that I added the zerk on the brake bell crank. Likewise as Dale says, I change my oil and filter and grease the chassis myself. At least I will continue to do so as long as I can.

Like Rocky 2 says, I too doubt most places won't know where to find all the zerks. You'd probably need to take it to a truck shop to get it done right.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
KCE

Just had mine done where I have my regular autos serviced locally. I pull up on level concrete pad raise all jacks they come out with heavy jack stands and thats it. I watched as they have always allowed that. They grease all fittings including drive shaft and brake bell crank, changed oil and filter and check all fluids $35.00. I maintain tire pressure and battery care myself.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
It's 12 zerk's on mine. At least now that I added the zerk on the brake bell crank. Likewise as Dale says, I change my oil and filter and grease the chassis myself. At least I will continue to do so as long as I can.

Like Rocky 2 says, I too doubt most places won't know where to find all the zerks. You'd probably need to take it to a truck shop to get it done right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, I think you may have missed a couple. I have 13 on mine - 6 on the driveline and 7 on the front end. I have not added the one on the brake bell crank yet.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Yep, $100/hr for $10/hr worker.

When you take your rig in to have service you ASSUME that Oil/Lube greaser knows where the zerks are AND that they actually greased then and wiped of the excess. Me, I would ask first and if they gave the wrong answer I would give them a chart and tell I will be checking to make sure the work is done.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Fortunately, I can do the lube and oil/filter change when we're at home. It's really easier than the pickup truck. On the road, it a different story when a oil change is needed because many places just don't know where all the zerk fittings are,as other posters have said. On the other hand, if the job is done correctly, $80.00 is a good price.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky 2:
Dale, you hit it right on the head. Labor costs. Not all of us are physically able to do the real lubrication called for on the chassis and it is worth it to have it done right. Changing the oil and filter may be a snap but I defy a quick lube place to even know where to lube the fittings on my chassis. They look for fluids only, if that. I asked Camping World how many fittings do they lube when they do their $79.97 lube and oil change. "Uh, I think it's about 4." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always give the mechanic a copy of my lube chart and I stay with the coach while it's being serviced. Below is the lube chart. Print a few and keep in your coach.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote