Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Major mystery TBI idle then cuts out.

I have a 1991 Airstream Land Yacht on a P30 454 TBI chassis.
After 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 minutes after start from idle the injectors stop dead. At this point key still on, try to crank and no fuel as viewed in tbi or start.
Dynamic fuel pressure is 13 to 14 psi. Fuel is clean and filter new. Because of age of unit the following were replaced: ign control in dist., new dist with cap and rotor(retimed), new plug wires, tbi rebuild with ac delco injectors and gasket kit, new regulator diphragm, iac new(idle adjusted to 700rpm with iac disconnected), temp sensor in front of block, thermostat (190).


ECM opened to visual for burned components or burnt smell, aok. Start and run with foot on accelerator to hold 1500 rpm and continues with injectors producing perfect cone shape at 10 minutes plus.



Key off, wait 15 seconds and restarts starts to stumble from idle and cuts out after 2 minutes.

PLEASE HELP BEFORE I DRIVE IT OFF A CLIFF!
bjurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NY State
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurel View Post
I have a 1991 Airstream Land Yacht on a P30 454 TBI chassis.
After 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 minutes after start from idle the injectors stop dead. At this point key still on, try to crank and no fuel as viewed in tbi or start.
Dynamic fuel pressure is 13 to 14 psi. Fuel is clean and filter new. Because of age of unit the following were replaced: ign control in dist., new dist with cap and rotor(retimed), new plug wires, tbi rebuild with ac delco injectors and gasket kit, new regulator diphragm, iac new(idle adjusted to 700rpm with iac disconnected), temp sensor in front of block, thermostat (190).


ECM opened to visual for burned components or burnt smell, aok. Start and run with foot on accelerator to hold 1500 rpm and continues with injectors producing perfect cone shape at 10 minutes plus.



Key off, wait 15 seconds and restarts starts to stumble from idle and cuts out after 2 minutes.

PLEASE HELP BEFORE I DRIVE IT OFF A CLIFF!
I recall, perhaps inaccurately, a much higher fuel pressure for that engine. The fuel pressure regulator is mounted on the throttle body. Ours needed to be rebuilt (or replaced), and was. If you have it rebuilt, be sure you tell the tech what the fuel pressure is supposed to be, lest the wrong spring (intended for cars with the same FP reg) be used, with its too-low fuel pressure.

So Step 1 is, "find out what the FP is *supposed* to be."
__________________
John
1976 Southwind 28', '96 Winnie 34WK,
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 316
Chevy used same eng in trucks and rv.. go to big box ap store get c2500 for 1991 and it should be a great asset.. give you fuel press.. ect.. sometimes they will let you look at book and see if covers your eng.. buy it if close.. it will save you alot.. I think fp.. needs to be 40psi or more.. check fp. When revving.. vac hose to fp. Regulator could have a leak.. that is in the book.. it's tiny.. hard to reach and gets rotten with old age.. let us know what you did and it could be bad pump or bad wires at the tank.. critters like to get on top of tank and chew at tasty wires and lines..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Spec fuel pressure static and dynamic is 9-13 psi. TBI cleaned rebuilt regasketed and the regulator new diaphram and original good spring. Injectors new ac delcos with perfect cone pattern. Will try noid light tomorrow after it dies and check pulse wire from dist. to ecm.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming as it nears the edge.......
bjurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 307
I think you need to be looking for why it’s not getting fuel - a lot of what you’ve done seems to be looking at things that handle the fuel once it’s there.

We had a ‘91 454 TBI that the rubber connector hose between the fuel pump discharge and the pick-up tube I. The fuel pump assembly had ruptured - looked like an exploded cigar from a RoadRunner cartoon.
Those hoses were not made for today’s alcohol impregnated gasoline’s.
Coach was running 1 minute, died the next. Sputtered and popped a few times, and ne’er a pop again. I jumpered the fuel pump relay (times out after 5 seconds I think), no fuel.
Siphoned about 40 gallons of gas out of the tank, dropped the tank, pulled old fuel pump. Found rotted hose - went to O’Reilly’s and bought the most reliable pump they had which included the hose that had ruptured.
Reinstalled everything, dumped the gas back in, did a KOEO to get fuel up to the injectors - and she ran like a top for the 10k miles we put on her before selling this past January. We got her I ‘18 with 17k miles on her. Like I said, a ‘91.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NY State
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I recall, perhaps inaccurately, a much higher fuel pressure for that engine. The fuel pressure regulator is mounted on the throttle body. Ours needed to be rebuilt (or replaced), and was. If you have it rebuilt, be sure you tell the tech what the fuel pressure is supposed to be, lest the wrong spring (intended for cars with the same FP reg) be used, with its too-low fuel pressure.

So Step 1 is, "find out what the FP is *supposed* to be."
Apparently, from a bit of Googling, our later Winnie with the "same" engine had higher FP than yours. Sorry for the misinformation!
__________________
John
1976 Southwind 28', '96 Winnie 34WK,
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tderonne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Motor City, Mich
Posts: 3,142
Major mystery TBI idle then cuts out.

Is the tach reading when you get no fuel? If the crank sensor is bad, the tach will read zero and you’ll get no fuel. I forget though, in the distributor, which you’ve replaced? Still, no tach reading would be a clue to a different problem.
__________________
Tim.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Thanks to all for the help! Still workin on it. 1991 P30's didn't have a tachometer.
bjurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:50 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Mystery solved

It was the reluctor in the "Rockauto" rebuilt dist. New NAPA dist. complete solved the injector pulse and spark!!!
bjurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 307
Thanks for reporting back on what you found. Interesting to say the least - would really be curious what lead you to look there. 😀
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Seattle,WA/HB,CA./Fujieda-Japan
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurel View Post
It was the reluctor in the "Rockauto" rebuilt dist. New NAPA dist. complete solved the injector pulse and spark!!!
You mean pick up coil?
__________________
1994 Southwind Storm 28ft 7.4L TBI w/ 4L80E P-32
71,405 miles and counting...as of 07/16/2021
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To idle or not to idle jmoffat Caterpillar Engine Forum 36 05-11-2014 10:54 PM
Jacks down then slides or slides then jacks down? Yolo72 Entegra Owner's Forum 10 01-29-2013 08:13 PM
A/C blows cold then hot then cold...... 1kingtut Monaco Owner's Forum 5 08-20-2012 09:09 PM
Hot water, then cold, then hot, then cold VACMAN Newmar Owner's Forum 4 05-26-2009 09:48 AM
Backup Camera 12v power cuts off then back on. Ed-Sue Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 4 11-05-2008 04:00 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.