Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2022, 10:30 AM   #1

Misfire periodic cyl 8 and 3

Good Morning here in California.

Engine runs good but I noticed when at idle a sporadic miss. I only have 20000 miles on my 8.1L motor home. Therefore I changed the spark plugs, as I learned here, AC Delco iridium, and the Wires, yes, Magnum.

I ran a compression test since I had the spark plugs removed. all great.
165 every cylinder.

I ran the codes, No codes.

I ran the functions on the Scanner and it showed still a sparatic miss in Cylinder 8 and a very sparatic miss in cylinder 3 at idle. I showed no miss when I accelerated; I ran up to 2500 rpm.

Thoughts.
Trek8288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could be the coil packs.
You sure the plug wires are seated in the coils and on the plugs ?

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Yes, wires snapped in nicely. All are tight
Old 12-05-2022, 01:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Faulty CPS or connector/wiring.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trek,
Just as an FYI, you can get a full set (8) of "ENA" coils on Amazon for $127.00 now, Or $75.00 each for Delfi's at Autozone and $377.00 per set of 8.

OR, Summit Racing has them for under $40.00 per coil and several to choose from.

Were it me, I'd replace the whole set.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trek,
I just did a real deep dive on the ENA coils, and it looks like they get very good ratings from several sites.
I'd go for it with a full set of 8 @ less than a hundred thirty bucks, I don't think you could go wrong.
I've marked a set for me also on my watch list.

Mike in Colorado
Old 12-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #7

Before you run out and buy 8 coils you may not need you should have an injector test performed. This can be done with many of the different scan tools and a fuel pressure gauge. With the scan tool in injector test mode the ignition is turned on and the tool will tell you when to start the test. You fire each cylinder and watch for the drop in pressure, record it and go to the next cylinder, the fuel pump will run, stop then you fire the cylinder again watching the fuel pressure gauge. You do this for all 8 cylinders. If you have a weak injector you will see a variance in fuel pressure in the cylinder with the weak or plugged injector. Each time you fire a cylinder it is a programmed, timed event. Consequently the fuel pressure drop should be uniform across all 8 cylinders. If you have an injector or two out of sync. you know which injector(s) are at fault. A very dirty or bad injector will flow very little or no fuel. You would see a very small drop if any at all in pressure on the gauge when the cylinder is fired.
In the case of the OP I would check the suspect cylinders a few times if they passed the test the first time. It may be an intermittent problem.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:33 PM   #8

This is NOT SAFE but it is often the only way to find high voltage "leaks".

You will need an assistant, a flashlight and a misting bottle. Park vehicle in a very dark place, like a closed garage. Open the hood and with your flashlight visualize where the high voltage components are (cap, coil, wires). Turn out all lights. Have the assistant start the engine. Spray a ligh spray of water on the high voltage components and watch for light blue flashes.

Once you have identified one, it will probably have a nearly invisible carbon trace down to ground. Usually impossible to clean. Some kind of abrasive may work and then apply a thin film of silicon dielectric grease. This is now a maintenance item as the grease will have to be removed/clean and replaced ever 6-12 months.

On coil-on-plug, the carbon track is usually inside the boot or on the plug. Some COP have replaceable boots. Replace the spark plug at the same time and a thin film of silicon dielectric grease on the spark plug top and ceramic insulator.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Before you run out and buy 8 coils you may not need you should have an injector test performed. This can be done with many of the different scan tools and a fuel pressure gauge. With the scan tool in injector test mode the ignition is turned on and the tool will tell you when to start the test. You fire each cylinder and watch for the drop in pressure, record it and go to the next cylinder, the fuel pump will run, stop then you fire the cylinder again watching the fuel pressure gauge. You do this for all 8 cylinders. If you have a weak injector you will see a variance in fuel pressure in the cylinder with the weak or plugged injector. Each time you fire a cylinder it is a programmed, timed event. Consequently the fuel pressure drop should be uniform across all 8 cylinders. If you have an injector or two out of sync. you know which injector(s) are at fault. A very dirty or bad injector will flow very little or no fuel. You would see a very small drop if any at all in pressure on the gauge when the cylinder is fired.

In the case of the OP I would check the suspect cylinders a few times if they passed the test the first time. It may be an intermittent problem.

That would be my next step as well. Also, a fuel pressure gauge will tell you quickly if an injector is leaking after which you need to identify which one.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
That would be my next step as well. Also, a fuel pressure gauge will tell you quickly if an injector is leaking after which you need to identify which one.

I've got another check while you are at it. Vacuum leaks, check the injector nose seals and intake gasket to head for vacuum leaks. Cracks in the gasket or injector nose seals can allow just enough air to cause an intermittent low speed misfire. Once the engine comes off idle, there is not enough leakage to effect the mixture to the point of lean misfire.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:45 PM   #11

Cylinder Misses

Cylinder 8 has perodic misses of 8 maximum this then returns to 0

Cylinder 3 has perodic misses 0 2 then returns to 0

All other cylinders show no misses.

These are very minimal misses that are very sparadic.

Engine has 20000 miles, almost nothing

I am wondering what fuel the prior owner used ???

the Generator has substantially more hours on it? may have been used mostly for guest home???

Possible carbon buildup on injectors and valves???

What about Sea Foam?
Old 12-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the Sea Foam.
2 cans on a 1/4 tank of gas is what I would do.

Mike in Colorado
Old 12-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #13

When my tank gets down to 1/4 tank I will add sea foam.
thank you
Old 12-07-2022, 06:55 PM   #14

if they are not to difficult to get to swap the 8 and 3 coils with other coils.if the problem moves you have your problem if not move on to other options.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire