Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i have this noise that i call a moan. it comes in between 40 and 65mph or so. 4th 5th and 6th gear. steady cruze at 60mph it will come and go on a regular bassis. load or no load it seems the same. changing speed does'nt do much. sometimes it is very loud. had same problem with my w20 but not to this degree. hope someone has had same thing and knows a fix. its just not fun to drive. it does sound like its in the front of coach somewhere. not the differential cuz it has noise there too and its not the same. w/h said live with that one. this is my 2nd last w/h. too many of same problems my 4 year old one had. any help please.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i have this noise that i call a moan. it comes in between 40 and 65mph or so. 4th 5th and 6th gear. steady cruze at 60mph it will come and go on a regular bassis. load or no load it seems the same. changing speed does'nt do much. sometimes it is very loud. had same problem with my w20 but not to this degree. hope someone has had same thing and knows a fix. its just not fun to drive. it does sound like its in the front of coach somewhere. not the differential cuz it has noise there too and its not the same. w/h said live with that one. this is my 2nd last w/h. too many of same problems my 4 year old one had. any help please.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could it be your clutch fans kicking in? In my Bounder it sounded like a single enging airplane about to take off.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My rig makes a number of different noises.. I'd like to have a CD "Sounds of Workhorse" where they play each engine sound and tell you what it is, Some of 'em sound very strange to me. However I know what most of them are.... Pumps and fans
Old 10-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, the subject of noises came up at the rally. Hissing, growling, gargleing, it became somewhat comical at times. My Bounder was pretty noisy until it warmed up. There were all kinds of noises when going down the road depending on speed, heat and rpms, they would change from loud to really loud. Now my UFO has a whole new set of noises to figure out.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
it is not the fan. its there cold and hot.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cannon man:
it is not the fan. its there cold and hot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Please bring your vehicle to a WSC for evaluation. I'm sure they'll resolve this situation for you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 05 Dolphin makes a noise like that and I read in a forum that it could be the grill vibrating. It does it mostly when driving into the wind or if I get around 70MPH. When I get it home I am going to remove the grill and see what happens on my trip to Florida.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #9

I have the same rig you do,year everthing but only have 11 thousand miles on mine,when did yours start makeing howling noise? I haven't herd any noise in mine yet,but then again I haven't drove mine that much.Wish I could help,will ask around for ya.Find out let me know Im sure Ill have the same problems you do.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
only have 5k on ours. hav'nt used it much. had 2500 when we got it. may have always been there but i don't think as loud. sounds to me like a p/s pump or alternator. they are boath suspect on these things. hope you don't have same problems. did your trac bars cure the wander lust? thanks, dave
Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Is it possible that it is your co-pilot making those noises as you are changing lanes etc?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #12

dave,my trac bar didnt help that much compared to the price,when i first drove i didnt, i was looking or expecting a big change,there was little change,didnt flop my mop.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #13

Is your cab air on AC or MAX AC when you hear this noise? If so, try turning it off.

I have had at various times (and, of course, not repeatable on demand at the dealership) a loud hum or moan that is definitely coming from the AC evaporator. My theory is that it is some sort of harmonic from the expansion device that occurs under some conditions likely very cold. I'm also pretty sure that this would never happen if you could modulate the temperature when on MAX AC. See my previous rant on this.

BTW, In spite of usual RV problems, My Winny on the W-22 is the best RV I've owned including 2 pushers. With the Konis, this includes the ride. None the less, I now have it on the market as this economy has just sucked all the fun out of RVing for me.
fayrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
thanks terry. havent looked at that but i will. pretty sure its there if system is on or off. used to come in at 45mph n go away at 55mph. now its all the way up to 65mph. funny my other unit did the same n nobody else reports the same problem. my local w/h guys are out to lunch so i may take it to redlands after quartzsite n hope they can resolve all the other issues also.