Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #1

I own a 2003 Pace arrow on a W22 chassis. First trip to Florida in 2004, had to replace fuel filter and fuel pump. I now replace the filter yearly (about every 5,000 miles). The last four years, only during the Florida trip, the coach will stall on the highway for no appearant reason. Pull over, turn the key off, wait 5 seconds and it starts right back up. Thought it was the fuel pump, replaced it again. Stalled again this year. Was sitting on the side of the road begging the coach not to start so I could get it fixed (how bad is that). Has anybody else had this problem???

Shawn McClosky
2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Front Royal, Virginia
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #2

I own a 2003 Pace arrow on a W22 chassis. First trip to Florida in 2004, had to replace fuel filter and fuel pump. I now replace the filter yearly (about every 5,000 miles). The last four years, only during the Florida trip, the coach will stall on the highway for no appearant reason. Pull over, turn the key off, wait 5 seconds and it starts right back up. Thought it was the fuel pump, replaced it again. Stalled again this year. Was sitting on the side of the road begging the coach not to start so I could get it fixed (how bad is that). Has anybody else had this problem???

Shawn McClosky
2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Front Royal, Virginia
Old 03-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FRR2EYW;

What year is your chassis? I had the same problem with a 2002 chassis. Many 2003 MHs are on 2002 chassis. LeeB had a similar problem. It was pump cavitation. The return line to the tank returns hot fuel next to the pump pickup. Workhorse knows about the problem. If your chassis is a 2002 have your Workhorse Dealer call the Director of Service if they are not aware of the cure for the problem. Turning of the engine for 5 minutes re-primes the pump when it is restarted.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #4

Don,

It is a 2003 chassis. When it dies, it starts to bog down and lose power until there is none. Kind of feels like the fuel filter is clogged. It starts right up after I pull over and come to a full stop.

Shawn McClosky
Pace Arrow36B
Front Royal, Va
Old 03-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not for sure 2003 did not have the fuel problem. Check with Workhorse and ask. Sounds just like my problem was.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, 2 fuel pumps in four years is pretty expensive. If you don't mind me asking, was it covered under warranty both time and if not how much did they charge for this and was it a WH svc cntr?
Your problem surely sounded like a fuel pump or filter problem.
Is this a symptom that the new high dollar fuel filter was supposed to fix?
Holy cow! 5 more posts and I'll start another bonfire. I think.
I must be an arsonist. I should put them under my boat.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Is this a symptom that the new high dollar fuel filter was supposed to fix? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, The new fuel filter is a component of the returnless fuel system unlike the previous system which would feed and return fuel from the engine to the tank. The new system charges the fuel rail and the excess fuel is dumped back in the tank at the fuel filter.

I have a 2003 and I'm running my original fuel pump. I don't believe there is a systemic fuel pump problem on 2003 chassis.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:03 AM   #8

The first pump was done at a workhorse center under their warranty. The second was done at a repair center I trust under my extended warranty. DriVer, as for the expensive fuel filter, can I assume that it is not an issue for me, as mine is just a straight inline filter on the rail, no fancy return or anything like that??
Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FRR2EYW:
... DriVer, as for the expensive fuel filter... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes we have the same inexpensive straight in and out filter.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shawn,
I have the same coach as you,
The first fuel filter change I did was at 10000 miles.
After I removed it, I wiped it down then blew through it in the normal direction of flow.
Mine was approx 80% restricted.
I found this unusual with only 10000 miles,
Have you checked previous filters you removed for restrictions ??

2003 Pace Arrow 36R
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Any one have any idea where my fuel filter might be located?....I'd like to change it or buy a spare, before my next journey in about a month.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dpg4851:
Any one have any idea where my fuel filter might be located?....I'd like to change it or buy a spare, before my next journey in about a month. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine was on driver's side inside the main rail behind the rear wheels, look on both sides. Missed mine the first time as it had wire loom running by the side of it. Richard
Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mine was on driver's side inside the main rail behind the rear wheels, look on both sides. Missed mine the first time as it had wire loom running by the side of it. Richard
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, and I think I found it about midway on the passenger side inside frame rail, which is well in front of the main axle...it's in a fixed steel line, ... a cannister, measuring approx. 1 3/4" diam. x 2 1/2" in length. Does this sound right? I don't know what else it could be, but then I'm not sure what's in the steel box in the same proximity...looks like some plastic cannisters might be in there, but don't have a clue what they might be used for.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dpg4851:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mine was on driver's side inside the main rail behind the rear wheels, look on both sides. Missed mine the first time as it had wire loom running by the side of it. Richard
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, and I think I found it about midway on the passenger side inside frame rail, which is well in front of the main axle...it's in a fixed steel line, ... a cannister, measuring approx. 1 3/4" diam. x 2 1/2" in length. Does this sound right? I don't know what else it could be, but then I'm not sure what's in the steel box in the same proximity...looks like some plastic cannisters might be in there, but don't have a clue what they might be used for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You found it. If you are not partial to original equipment, you can buy a Fram for a spare at Wal-mart to carry in your goody box.

Dieselclacker