Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #1

Need some Specs on a 99 chassis

I need some parts and fluids info

It is actually a 98 chassis at a build date of 11/98

This would be the 454/7.4L motor and Chevy three speed w/OD

Need Fluids capacity and type for both motor and transmission

Need filters both Oil and Trans (NAPA parts numbers if you got em)

Coolant type and capacity.

Rear end Fluid and capacity.

Thanks in Advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #2

All this information is available in the Chassis Guide. Its a free download from Workhorse.

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

That might be so except that someone will need to assure me that there was not change between the late 98 and the 99's included in that Workhorse Chassis guide.

I would imagine not... but this is really and truly a 98 Chassis even though the motor home shows build late in that year. Specifically it was built November of 98.

I downloaded that chassis guide anyway and have been reading it.

Assuming I can use all the info since mine is so close (build year is 98 but model year 99)

Then I can can say...

10W-30 motor oil but do not see a capacity given for this nor a filter part number

Dextron III (but can use Detron VI) but do not see a capacity listed for this nor a filter part number.

SAE 80W-90 for the rear end but I need to determine which rear end before I can use the capacities they list

Dot 3 for the brakes I did read.

I got some of the information from there based upon assuming that the 11/98 is going to be the same as the Manuals "model 99" but if all the information I am looking for is there, then I must be missing those.

I also see some discussion of Fuel but I will have to assume the 7.4L is "Regular Gas" not because they say so clearly but because the Compression ratio is 8:1 so too low to take advantage of higher octane.

Anyway... Let me go back through and see if I can find the missing parts number and capacities... if there are there I missed them. It is a good read though.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Delco number for the oil filter is PF454 oil filter - the same as the one for the 8.1L engine.

My 95 chassis had the same compression ratio and my owners manual specified regular grade gasoline (85 octane minimum as I recall).

I got a complete service manual set (5 books as I recall) from Helm Inc http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=.

Pricey at about $150 but it paid for itself the first time I used.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #5

Oh now... that was nice of them to work the 454 into the part number wasn't it?

I am a manual nut so sounds like a good idea to me Clay. I will hunt one down.

I think my local Oil change place has some references but I want to make sure we have them all before we get there. Some of the things he may want me to bring. Some he probably has. He hasn't done much Class A business but he wants any he can get. And my clearance looks good for his bay too. So it would be nice, and (relatively) cheap too, if I can use him for this thing. He is closer than the HD truck place and cheaper to boot. I am not getting any younger ...
Old 03-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #6

I didn't notice that your VIN number indicates a Chevy...I just made the assumption that since you posted in a workhorse forum, that you had a workhorse chassis. My mistake.

Guess you'll have to consult the manual that came with your Coach?

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #7

There appears no place else to discuss the "just pre Workhorse" chassis on this forum At least when it comes to specific Chassis related stuff that is. The first Workhorse Chassis were indeed simply P32 Chevy chassis as far as I know. It seems this is the closest place even though it was not made during Workhorse ownership.

And in fact, this ones so close I am hoping ( and so far discovering) there is little difference. But I wasn't sure of that when I started posting.

Not sure yet where the Books are. They may be missing in action and I may have to obtain them one by one. They are looking for them. it is a used vehicle. Some stuff is there but the Chassis stuff I have not located as of yet. So I am sort of developing a temporary reference so I can go through it and prepare it for the road until I learn or recover the information.

I can tell you this much, if you get in touch with the Coach Manufacturer they will tell you to ask the Chassis manufacturer for this sort of information. They know nothing about the oil, motor etc... according to them. And since Chevy no longer makes them, you have to go to workhorse for the information... and they didn't make this one either!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
There appears no place else to discuss the "just pre Workhorse" chassis on this forum At least when it comes to specific Chassis related stuff that is. The first Workhorse Chassis were indeed simply P32 Chevy chassis ...

Not sure yet where the Books are. ....Chevy no longer makes them, you have to go to workhorse for the information... and they didn't make this one either!
It was this great site that I discovered I own a p32 not a p3o

After looking for p30 books for a few months.
Found good deal on 3 book combo for p32 chassis on ebay almost same price as shipping.

Our chassis were made in 98 but are 99's by Chevy definition of course to confuse things Airstream gave it a 2000 title. Found manufactures plate in motor area in front of radiator on the upright post to the drivers side.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
1999 Damon Challenger 330 model/Chevy 454/ 7.4L Vortec/4L80E transmission/P32-7 chassis "narrow front end" VIN# 1GBLP37J3W3314889
Rear end Fluid and capacity.

Thanks in Advance
Vin actually shows yours as a p37
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Dave, On my sheet I see the #6 position number "3" as a "1 ton nominal P32 & P42 prior to year 2001."

I don't see a P37 Series in the VIN# chart that I have.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
When you break it down the # six position "3" means P32

Then the seventh position number "7" means RV chassis (to distinguish it from other uses of the P32 Chassis I presume)

There is no real "37" chassis.

it is a P32 chassis with a further designation of 7 to specify it as a P32 that was made into an RV chassis.

37 in the sixth and seventh position means P32/RV. At least, thats the way I read the chart that is. I could be wrong but it has been debated many times and that is the consensus as I read it.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:

There is no real "37" chassis.
cphilip: you got dat right! and there ain't no P30, either.

To learn even more about the P-32 chassis there is a sticky at the top of this forum. Parts-Expert is, in fact, the expert on this subject. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #13

LOL... true dat.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Factioid!
Every front engined gasoline powered RV Chassis IS a P32!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote