Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New 8.1 engine in 2004 Tifffin coach

I managed to burn a hole in the #5 pistons.
The repair shop that has the coach wants $12000 to install a new short block in the coach that has only 57000 miles on it.
Does that sound high, low, or reasonable?

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

I have a friend who paid $28,000 so it sounds VERY fair
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen figures of $14,000 to $20,000 posted here for 8.1 replacement.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
OP I really would like to hear the back story to your engine problem.
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #5

If the block is not damaged it may be possible to just change out the piston. This happened to someone on the Safari Trek forum in AZ about 6 months ago with an 8.1 Vortec, they burned a hole in 2 pistons, likely due to a bad MAF or low fuel pressure the shop was able to pull them and replace them without pulling the engine. The repair was done over the course of a couple of months by what I think was a fairly small shop. I don't know what the cost ended up being.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #6

Well an entire reman 8.1 (everything except intake/exhaust/accessories can be had for less than 8 grand so the price seems a bit steep to me . . .
Old 07-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems a little high for a short block. I would think you should be able to get a long block installed for 12k. I suppose a lot depends on the shop labor rate. I think the R and R time for a longblock is somewhere around 45 hours. If you have a replacement installed long or short block, insist on a genuine factory rebuilt GM replacement, there are some cheaper not so good rebuilts available out there.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I lost a big chunk of piston due to defective MAF. All the cylinders had poor compression so there was no replacing one piston. Redlands Truck & RV installed a rebuilt Jasper motor long block. Total was around $17k. That will be higher now since hr rate is $150 now.

I don't recommend Jasper. My engine came with a mismatch timing gear/timing cover. That took RTS a couple of days to figure out why it would only start 1 of 3 tries. Now I have around 15k miles on new motor and it is still using 1 qt of oil every 400-500 miles. I don't see it improving on oil consumption.

I believe you can buy new 8.1 from a company in Michigan but I don't recall the name of the place. Hopefully someone can chime in with the name.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Duner said:
"I lost a big chunk of piston due to defective MAF."

Interesting conclusion. Could you explain how that would occur and also were you getting any CEL lights prior to the failure.

I ask those questions because I had a problem with O2 sensor CEL lights that were caused by the MAF being dirty and therefore the fuel mixture was causing pollution that the sensors detected.

I didn't know it could damage the engine though.

cvrvr....My Workhorse dealer in Fresno has changed a couple 8.1 engines out but I don't know the cost. He's a very honest dealer and could probably tell you if that's a good price.

Bud Eberwein Brake Service. The owner is Zarkis, his number is (559) 268-6359. Tell him Arch recommended you call him.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:28 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We recommend GM goodwrench reman. We had a lot of issues with Jasper engines and no longer are a dealer for them.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Duner said:
"I lost a big chunk of piston due to defective MAF."

Interesting conclusion. Could you explain how that would occur and also were you getting any CEL lights prior to the failure.

I ask those questions because I had a problem with O2 sensor CEL lights that were caused by the MAF being dirty and therefore the fuel mixture was causing pollution that the sensors detected.

I didn't know it could damage the engine though.
Arch,
It was pinging for a long time. No codes ever thrown. I ignorantly thought the knock sensors would retard the timing to a safe level. When my VW sandrail pings, it sounds like the head will crack in two.....my the 8.1 was a lot more subdued with the insulated cover.

The final straw was pulling the grade out of Vegas to Pahrump to get to the Workhorse rally. At the rally Steve Brazel Sr was in my coach and did an engine check. He had some concerns about the fuel trims being off. Gave me a CRecorder which I used from Pahrump to Lake Havasu run. Sent Jon Brazel the file from the recorder and he said the maf readings were too low, especially under wide-open-throttle. I ordered a new MAF from him and had it shipped to Tucson but I never made it that far. The piston let loose near Parker. Sent audio recordings of the engine knocking to Brazels and Mike Bronzini at RTS and all agreed that it was a piston and not a valve. Took car down to Tucson to get the new MAF, put it on and limped 200 mi to RTS for new engine. The more I ran it, the quieter it got and the chunk of alum piston the size of 1/2 my little finger was disintegrated.

The MAF was contaminated from excess oil on the S&B filter. My opinion is that the engine computer should throw a code when maf readings are significantly low under WOT. Pretty easy read in hindsight.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The very first question the shop that fixed my O2 problem was:

"Are you using a K&N air filter?" They said to only use dry filters. I was using a dry Fram air filter so that wasn't the problem but the MAF WAS dirty so a new filter and cleaning the MAF cured my problem.

They recommended, and so do I now, never use a filter you have to spray oil onto.

So for others reading this thread...Get rid of your oiled filters NOW and if you have a 8.1 engine clean your MAF sensor NOW before problems start.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No experience with other oiled filters (S&B?), but K&N filters are fine IF they are properly oiled. Most people have trouble getting the correct amount of oil on them without either over-oiling or under-oiling, or they try to use a generic spray on oil rather than the correct K&N oil. I've run them in every motorcycle and ATV I've owned over the past 40 years including a decade of racing in the desert. I also use them in several of my street vehicles, including a Toyota van and a Hummer. I've never had a CEL or a problem because of over-oiling, fouled MAF, or anything else, and I have never found even a speck a dirt/dust that has made its way past a properly oiled K&N (unlike dry paper or even oiled foam filters).

Although I don't currently run an oiled K&N in my 8.1 RV, I would have no reservations about doing so, because I know how to oil them. JMHO
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
New 8.1 engine in 2004 Tifffin coach

Where can I find the MAF sensor on my 2005 8.1?
I have 26000 miles on it when do they typically need to be replaced?

Tags
engine