Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Location: SD Resident = places in Green Valley AZ & Mission TX
Thumbs up New Road King Shocks for R32 Chassis

Hopefully this is the final chapter of this story. Thanks to all who helped with this project, especially Ed Gray.
The good news is that new Road King shocks are installed on my R32 diesel pusher chassis, and they are performing well. They don't substitute for active air, but the ride and handling is far superior to what I had.
The not-so-good news is that Road King customer service isn't great.
Here's the background: Front shocks are not commercially available for this chassis, and Road King will produce them to spec. Rear shocks are available, but not leading brands. Wanting to have the same shocks all around, I ordered shocks for front and rear. It took almost 3 weeks to get them. The front shocks were spot on and were easily installed. The rear shocks were far too long and couldn't be used - just an error on their part. They sent a second set, which also did not fit. This time it was due to a misunderstanding in the measuring process (note: I had originally sent them Gabriel (the original shock) and Monroe part numbers for substitute shocks so they could confirm measurements). It took another 2 weeks to get the third set, which finally were correct. All errors were at their expense and they didn't argue or complain about the problems.
I would still recommend the Road King shocks, but would caution close attention to the process and require written/email confirmations. Also, they are VERY expensive, so be prepared to spend some money ($350 ea)
Below are specs that I was able to get and that were used for my shocks:

Rear 7805-X-1012
Gabriel 85919
•Extended Length: 22.48 in. 570.99 mm.
•Collapsed Length: 14.25 in. 361.95 mm.
•Stroke: 8.23 in. 209.04 mm.
•Bore: 1-5/8 in.
Upper bushing length 1 3/4", 3/4" Inside diameter
Monroe 74429
•Compressed Length (In): 15.125 Inch
•Extended Length (In): 22-3/8 Inch
•Lower Mount Sleeve Inside Diameter (In): 3/4 Inch
•Lower Mount Type: Loop
•Travel Length (In): 7-1/4 Inch
•Upper Mount Sleeve Inside Diameter (In): 3/4 Inch
•Upper Mount Type: Loop

Front 7805-W-1011
No stock commercial substitute available. Measurements are:
Top has stem/stud at end of shaft 3/4in.
Installed length (in): 18 in. at ride height
Bump stop travel: 9 in. measured at ride height.
Lower bushing length: 1 3/4" with 3/4" inside diameter
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
chassis, shocks