Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaBull View Post
thanks Ed, the links do not seem to be working so I sent an email to the admin. wish I knew how others have set their gauges up to read fuel trims etc.
The link to Oemys website works for me. I just clicked on it inside your post and it opened the page to his info about the SG II. You may also try visiting the maker's website : scangauge.com

Good luck,
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #16

Same here, link working fine now, maybe it was a temporary outage
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The link to Oemys website works for me. I just clicked on it inside your post and it opened the page to his info about the SG II. You may also try visiting the maker's website : scangauge.com

Good luck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Same here, link working fine now, maybe it was a temporary outage
I can get to the page showing what the scan can do but not the page telling the codes. ScanGuage website or tech support doesn't help much. going to try UltraRV when they reopen 1/4.

thanks for helping
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #18

This link should have all the codes for fuel trim and many other ecu outputs. I missed the year of your chassis but the CANSF codes are the ones you want.

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-...tandard-obdii/
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #19

Throttle %, current, average mpg & trans temp.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #20

As many others have mentioned LTFT is the most important thing you can watch on a regular basis on your ScanGauge.

Any time you are putting a load on the motor or climbing in the hills you should monitor coolant temperature regularly. Compare the actual coolant temp to the gauge in the dash and you will see the gauge in the dash is very inaccurate and wont read above normal until the engine is well into the overheating stage.

Trans temp is nice to monitor periodically if you have the 5 speed. Your trans temp will generally be very cool like in the 150* range or less for normal driving. In the hills this will go up and its a good idea to keep an eye on trans and coolant temp when working the chassis in the hills. On normal flat ground your trans temp will be very stable and you wont need to look at it more than once an hour or so.

Intake Air Temp is a good thing to monitor when just cruising happily down the hwy. You likely have a dash mounted outside temp gauge. Compare the IAT to the dash gauge. They may not read the exact same but they should be within 2-3 degrees. Its not that important that they read exactly the same. Its important to be able to notice when the IAT and dash mounted temp gauge begin reading different than what was previously normal. A dirty MAF will cause the IAT to read warmer than the dash gauge. The warmer IAT tells the ecu to lean down the motor. The leaner exhaust gases pass over the OT sensor and the ECU trims the fuel up by adding fuel. Your fuel trim numbers begin reading steadily in the positive and even into double digits. As the MAF gets dirtier the IAT goes up and the ECU continues to lean out the air fuel mixture. Pretty quickly the fuel trim reaches its max compensation and the motor begins to run lean. Watching the IAT and comparing it to known ambient air temperature will warn you of a dirty MAF before the LTFT numbers begin to consistently go positive.

Monitoring the Mass Airflow Sensor readings is also a good indicator of how healthy the motor is. Any decent running 8.1 Workhorse should show readings in the 230g/s range at WOT at the 1-2 shift point. Really healthy 8.1’s may show 240g/s. 8.1’s with bolt on’s like headers, a tune, CAI, iridium plugs and magnum wires, bugger throttle bodies, TB Spacers, etc will see readings in excess 260g/s. Obviously built up 8.1’s with cams and heads making +420hp will see readings in excess of 280g/s or even higher.

Many of the other things monitored by a ScanGauge are just fluff and provide no real added value. Like torque, horsepower, average economy, engine run time, barometric pressure, etc dont really offer much with regards to monitoring the info that is critical to long engine life.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
As many others have mentioned LTFT is the most important thing you can watch on a regular basis on your ScanGauge.

Any time you are putting a load on the motor or climbing in the hills you should monitor coolant temperature regularly. Compare the actual coolant temp to the gauge in the dash and you will see the gauge in the dash is very inaccurate and wont read above normal until the engine is well into the overheating stage.

Trans temp is nice to monitor periodically if you have the 5 speed. Your trans temp will generally be very cool like in the 150* range or less for normal driving. In the hills this will go up and its a good idea to keep an eye on trans and coolant temp when working the chassis in the hills. On normal flat ground your trans temp will be very stable and you wont need to look at it more than once an hour or so.

Intake Air Temp is a good thing to monitor when just cruising happily down the hwy. You likely have a dash mounted outside temp gauge. Compare the IAT to the dash gauge. They may not read the exact same but they should be within 2-3 degrees. Its not that important that they read exactly the same. Its important to be able to notice when the IAT and dash mounted temp gauge begin reading different than what was previously normal. A dirty MAF will cause the IAT to read warmer than the dash gauge. The warmer IAT tells the ecu to lean down the motor. The leaner exhaust gases pass over the OT sensor and the ECU trims the fuel up by adding fuel. Your fuel trim numbers begin reading steadily in the positive and even into double digits. As the MAF gets dirtier the IAT goes up and the ECU continues to lean out the air fuel mixture. Pretty quickly the fuel trim reaches its max compensation and the motor begins to run lean. Watching the IAT and comparing it to known ambient air temperature will warn you of a dirty MAF before the LTFT numbers begin to consistently go positive.

Monitoring the Mass Airflow Sensor readings is also a good indicator of how healthy the motor is. Any decent running 8.1 Workhorse should show readings in the 230g/s range at WOT at the 1-2 shift point. Really healthy 8.1’s may show 240g/s. 8.1’s with bolt on’s like headers, a tune, CAI, iridium plugs and magnum wires, bugger throttle bodies, TB Spacers, etc will see readings in excess 260g/s. Obviously built up 8.1’s with cams and heads making +420hp will see readings in excess of 280g/s or even higher.

Many of the other things monitored by a ScanGauge are just fluff and provide no real added value. Like torque, horsepower, average economy, engine run time, barometric pressure, etc dont really offer much with regards to monitoring the info that is critical to long engine life.
thank you for your detailed info, exactly what I have been needing. is the LTFT the long fuel trim and if so the list show 4 banks which 1 should I monitor? should I also monitor the short trims? the CSR with ScanGauge said that in 08 only the MAP would show not the MAF and do not see any codes for the MAF on the list. the MAP comes preloaded.
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
Old 12-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #22

Quote:
thank you for your detailed info, exactly what I have been needing. is the LTFT the long fuel trim and if so the list show 4 banks which 1 should I monitor? should I also monitor the short trims? the CSR with ScanGauge said that in 08 only the MAP would show not the MAF and do not see any codes for the MAF on the list. the MAP comes preloaded.

You will want to load both short and long term fuel trims for bank 1 and 2. I look at STFT periodically but not that often unless I begin seeing the LTFT drift away from my normal. I use the top left position on the Scangauge for bank 1 LTFT and the top right position for bank 2 LTFT. Those stay there the entire time Im driving. I use the bottom two positions on the scangauge to toggle between the different parameters I want to pay attention to. I typically leave the bottom two displays on IAT and coolant temp.

Hmmm. I thought the 08 would have IAT, Mass Airflow, and MAP.

Did you try to add the MAF codes from the XCommand page? I can look in my Scangauge and see what Codes I have entered for MAF. I know both my 2002 and 2006 chassis display MAF.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
You will want to load both short and long term fuel trims for bank 1 and 2. I look at STFT periodically but not that often unless I begin seeing the LTFT drift away from my normal. I use the top left position on the Scangauge for bank 1 LTFT and the top right position for bank 2 LTFT. Those stay there the entire time Im driving. I use the bottom two positions on the scangauge to toggle between the different parameters I want to pay attention to. I typically leave the bottom two displays on IAT and coolant temp.

Hmmm. I thought the 08 would have IAT, Mass Airflow, and MAP.

Did you try to add the MAF codes from the XCommand page? I can look in my Scangauge and see what Codes I have entered for MAF. I know both my 2002 and 2006 chassis display MAF.
thank you you are a life saver. the only XCommand page I have came from you and it does list a MAF code. the IA (intake air temperature) is preloaded.
I tried installing the LTFT banks 1,2,3 none of which gave me a reading with the motor on. I will keep trying other codes.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #24
US Navy Veteran

Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for the great info

I went online to Advanced Auto parts and ordered a Scan Gauge II. They had a 20% discount offer so I jumped on it. Plan on installing on our coach later in the week.

Thanks to all for sharing the wealth of knowledge this forum continues to provide!
2009 CT Coachworks Siena 35V / W22 8.1L / Ford Flex / Blue Ox Avail / TST 507 / Scan Gauge II / Even Brake / Onan 7k / F&R Sway bars / Steering Stabilizer / F&R Trac Bar / SumoSpring / Bilstein shocks / Members: FMCA, WCMC, Good Sams, RV Life
DiverBob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverBob57 View Post
I went online to Advanced Auto parts and ordered a Scan Gauge II. They had a 20% discount offer so I jumped on it. Plan on installing on our coach later in the week.

Thanks to all for sharing the wealth of knowledge this forum continues to provide!
Bob, we both have the same year coach 2009 on a 2008 chassis. the owners book, scangauge web site and customer support all say to use the CANSF protocol, Jon with Brazel/Ultra RV told me to use the VPW protocol and now everything works as it should. just a FYI
Old 12-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #26
US Navy Veteran

Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Bob, we both have the same year coach 2009 on a 2008 chassis. the owners book, scangauge web site and customer support all say to use the CANSF protocol, Jon with Brazel/Ultra RV told me to use the VPW protocol and now everything works as it should. just a FYI

Thank you sir!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMSpecificVPW.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	312929
2009 CT Coachworks Siena 35V / W22 8.1L / Ford Flex / Blue Ox Avail / TST 507 / Scan Gauge II / Even Brake / Onan 7k / F&R Sway bars / Steering Stabilizer / F&R Trac Bar / SumoSpring / Bilstein shocks / Members: FMCA, WCMC, Good Sams, RV Life
DiverBob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverBob57 View Post

Thanks for the heads-up, Bob! I'd been waiting for a deal on SG II and nobody seemed to offer one. I got the 20% off from Advanced Auto and then another 5% discount from my CC company by using their card through PayPal. That extra 5% offer expires tomorrow so you got me there just in time!
Old 12-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #28

Programming for fuel trims

Short Term Fuel Trim B1 – Loc 12TXD
RXF 686AF10106
044105060000RXD
MTH
NAME 2808
00C80100FF9C
SF1
Short Term Fuel Trim B2 – Loc 13TXD
RXF 686AF10108
044105080000RXD