Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all! Smile I am taking ownership of a first rate 2004 Adventurer this next week. It is on the W22 chassis with the 8.1 engine. It has 36000 miles and the owner has been meticulous in his maintenance. All recalls have been done.

My questions revolve around the fact that it has as many miles as it does and the fact that it is about 3.5 yrs old.

What items should I be wary of? Tires (they look good)? Batteries (there are two house 12v and one chassis)? Anything else? The coach is in top notch condition nad has been stored covered at all times. HWH jacks are a little slow in retracting, but I am going to try the lube on the shafts suggestion.

Thanks for any insight. I posted this on the Winnie Forum as well to get that side of it.
Joe & Sherri
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all! Smile I am taking ownership of a first rate 2004 Adventurer this next week. It is on the W22 chassis with the 8.1 engine. It has 36000 miles and the owner has been meticulous in his maintenance. All recalls have been done.

My questions revolve around the fact that it has as many miles as it does and the fact that it is about 3.5 yrs old.

What items should I be wary of? Tires (they look good)? Batteries (there are two house 12v and one chassis)? Anything else? The coach is in top notch condition nad has been stored covered at all times. HWH jacks are a little slow in retracting, but I am going to try the lube on the shafts suggestion.

Thanks for any insight. I posted this on the Winnie Forum as well to get that side of it.
Joe & Sherri
Old 11-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
The mileage isn't that high. It is better that the unit be used instead of parked all the time.
It sounds like it has been well looked after.
The jacks are allways a little slow to retract. I was advised to let them retract while doing something else untill the dash panel "kicks off". You should wipe down the pistons every once in a while to remove dust and lightly lubricate - remember that too much lube will hold dust and dirt causing a scoring of your seals.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, JCM.
Joe
Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Check the date codes on the tires.. I would suspect you are with in 2 years of the life expectancy of the tires.

The HWH jacks should be in the up position in about 2 to 4 mins per the HWH tech I spoke to when I had mine worked on at HWH. Generally there is no need to lube the jacks as they are self lubing. If you feel you need to wipe down just spray with silicone and wipe them off.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JCM:
The mileage isn't that high. It is better that the unit be used instead of parked all the time.
It sounds like it has been well looked after.
The jacks are allways a little slow to retract. I was advised to let them retract while doing something else untill the dash panel "kicks off". You should wipe down the pistons every once in a while to remove dust and lightly lubricate - remember that too much lube will hold dust and dirt causing a scoring of your seals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I wouldn't use anything on the jacks. HWH suggests to run them up and down a few times. They should clean themselves and self lube. If you do need to lube them, use Automatic Trans fluid and wipe them clean as possible after so they won't collect dirt.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Check the date codes on the tires.. I would suspect you are with in 2 years of the life expectancy of the tires.

The HWH jacks should be in the up position in about 2 to 4 mins per the HWH tech I spoke to when I had mine worked on at HWH. Generally there is no need to lube the jacks as they are self lubing. If you feel you need to wipe down just spray with silicone and wipe them off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I will check the codes. I didn't pay too much attention to the time the jacks took,it just seemed longer than I expected. I will in the next few days. I will also exercise them and see if that changes anything. I love the great wealth of knowledge here. Sure gives one comfort to know that such a source is readily available.

Joe
Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
I wouldn't use anything on the jacks. HWH suggests to run them up and down a few times. They should clean themselves and self lube. If you do need to lube them, use Automatic Trans fluid and wipe them clean as possible after so they won't collect dirt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Little confused here. You say don't lube but then say lube if I need to? What would determine that I really do need to? Not messing with you, just trying to get it straight. Thanks

Joe
Old 12-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
I wouldn't use anything on the jacks. HWH suggests to run them up and down a few times. They should clean themselves and self lube. If you do need to lube them, use Automatic Trans fluid and wipe them clean as possible after so they won't collect dirt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Little confused here. You say don't lube but then say lube if I need to? What would determine that I really do need to? Not messing with you, just trying to get it straight. Thanks

Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wiping down with ATF is more of a cleaning operation than a lube. I have one jack that has been problematic and I regularly have to wipe it down. I found out the reason the other day when my neighbors lawn sprinklers came on. The problem jack is getting sprayed with hard water from a shallow well. So now I clean up the hard water deposits by regularly wiping down the jack on the side with the neighbors sprinklers.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you do need to lube them, use Automatic Trans fluid and wipe them clean as possible after so they won't collect dirt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't ATF oil based and therefore a dirt magnet. Silicone leaves very little residue for dirt to cling to. The only time I wipe mine down is IF they get dirty from rain.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you do need to lube them, use Automatic Trans fluid and wipe them clean as possible after so they won't collect dirt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't ATF oil based and therefore a dirt magnet. Silicone leaves very little residue for dirt to cling to. The only time I wipe mine down is IF they get dirty from rain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it could be however it is basically what the jack wipes itself with everytime it goes up and down. Personally I use silicone, only if there is a need, and do a thorough wiping/polishing afterwards. The key is to wipe them down clean and not paint them regardless of what you use.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
Wiping down with ATF is more of a cleaning operation than a lube. I have one jack that has been problematic and I regularly have to wipe it down. I found out the reason the other day when my neighbors lawn sprinklers came on. The problem jack is getting sprayed with hard water from a shallow well. So now I clean up the hard water deposits by regularly wiping down the jack on the side with the neighbors sprinklers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm.., seems like some sort of shield could be fabricated in that case. At least, a temporary one. OK, thanks for the info and I will be more aware of what goes on around the coach. Did the hard water spots cause the jack to retract slowly? Could that do seal damage?
Joe
Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more thought just occurred to me. Do you run the jacks all the way out to wipe them down?
Joe
Old 12-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #14

Make sure you run your generator for "exercise" once a month for an hour.....Thats a must!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote