Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New UFO?

Just wondering if anyone is manufacturing a new rv on a diesel powered UFO chassis? I'm just curious if that chassis is still being used or if it's been dropped and forgotten about. I've read a lot of favorable reviews by owners of the gas version but nothing that I remember about new diesel setups.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

No unfortunately the UFO is no longer in production. There never was a diesel option offered on the UFO platform either.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
does anyone know the reasoning behind dropping the platform? test drove one and really ;liked how quiet it was up front, not looking one but it did seem like a good idea. just wondering
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorfarmer View Post
does anyone know the reasoning behind dropping the platform? test drove one and really ;liked how quiet it was up front, not looking one but it did seem like a good idea. just wondering
GM no longer produces the 8.1 motor. Glad I got mine before they quit production.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
hope they offer it again when they decide which way they are going to go with a new gas platform.
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorfarmer View Post
hope they offer it again when they decide which way they are going to go with a new gas platform.
Totally UNofficial, but rumor says there just "might be" a another try with a rear engine platform from Workhorse. Could be either gas or diesel, but look for a new lighter GVWR than the original, as the coach builders still see a market for fuel efficient products.

Like almost everyone who ever drove the original UFO, I thought it was the best handling chassis I ever drove. Quiet, too! If they retain the torquebox and adjust the suspension for a lighter load it could be winner!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Totally UNofficial, but rumor says there just "might be" a another try with a rear engine platform from Workhorse. Could be either gas or diesel, but look for a new lighter GVWR than the original, as the coach builders still see a market for fuel efficient products.

Like almost everyone who ever drove the original UFO, I thought it was the best handling chassis I ever drove. Quiet, too! If they retain the torquebox and adjust the suspension for a lighter load it could be winner!
Ed
I would like to confirm the rumour of the rumour....I got it from someone who is in the know: a manager of a Navistar/Holiday Rambler dealer one of the first to sign on if not the first.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The reports of the demise of the UFO may be premature.

What's not to like about this chassis? It does a real nice job and if they can position the chassis in a market segment that folks are going to want, there's only upside from here.

I tell you this, Get the GVW right and put in a full bore Maxxforce7 (damn the MPGs - full speed ahead) engine in the thing and you are going to have something that will compete with the other guys that are running smaller diesels in a RDP configuration.

What's going on in the R&D back rooms ???? Only the Shadow knows!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad I got my Rexhall UFO. Right now Rexhall has their last UFO chassis listed on EBay. It is the same model as ours, with a few changes, we have the larger refer and no dishwasher.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
No unfortunately the UFO is no longer in production. There never was a diesel option offered on the UFO platform either.
You may wish to review the information originally put out by Workhorse on that one Mr. Brazel. The original chassis offered either gas or diesel. Not that they actually sold any of the diesel.
Universal
Fuel
Option

and

Universal
Floorplan
Option

UFO
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Turned out to be Uno Fuel Option.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Turned out to be Uno Fuel Option.
Comes with a built in Pizza Oven.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #13

Mike, didn't WH build an "R" series DP chassis at one time??

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest

You may wish to review the information originally put out by Workhorse on that one Mr. Brazel. The original chassis offered either gas or diesel. Not that they actually sold any of the diesel.
Universal
Fuel
Option

and

Universal
Floorplan
Option

UFO
Workhorse never did make the UFO chassis with a diesel engine, and unfortunately the Maxxforce 7 is too tall to retain a flat floor thus losing the universal floor option.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote