Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 AM   #1

We recently purchased a 2006 Winnebago 33V Adventurer Motorhome on the W22 chassis. On the first outing, with my wife driving behind me, in otherwords, we were not towing a vehicle, she noticed the coach was weaving from side to side. From my perspective,I was always having to make constant steering corrections.
Bearing in mind the rig is only 33'8" long; what after market devices do I need to install and in what priority?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 AM   #2

We recently purchased a 2006 Winnebago 33V Adventurer Motorhome on the W22 chassis. On the first outing, with my wife driving behind me, in otherwords, we were not towing a vehicle, she noticed the coach was weaving from side to side. From my perspective,I was always having to make constant steering corrections.
Bearing in mind the rig is only 33'8" long; what after market devices do I need to install and in what priority?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvskipper:
.... what after market devices do I need to install and in what priority? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>rvskipper, The very first priority is to make absolutely sure that you have an excellent front end alignment(FEA) and that your tires are inflated properly. I don't immediately see the need for after market products until you rule out the FEA.

There are many 33V owners here that have reported no problems so it is very unusual that we hear anything about a directional control issues with a coach like yours.

Save your money for now and go and get that "computerized" front end alignment accomplished. Look for a truck facility that can accommodate your rig and if you need the alignment specifications well I have those for you as well. Make sure you get a before and after report and if possible take the tech out with you and show him the problem your having.

This situation may be more than just an FEA so if you need to rule out any other issues that may be present the service center will assist you there.

I had a see-saw condition that was resolved subsequent to having a front end alignment accomplished on our coach,

Front end alignments are not a part of your warranty reimbursement unless it's specifically approved by Workhorse.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvskipper:
..I was always having to make constant steering corrections. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rvskipper, DriVer's advise is right on. My 2005, W22 had the same behavior as you describe. I had the front end alignment done and it solved the problem.

It's unfortunate that the coach manufacturers don't have the chassis realigned after they do their thing. I wonder how many people run out and waste their money on needless aftermarket devices before doing as DriVer suggests.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume the the coach came with Bilsteins on
all 4 corners!!! TENN.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Along with a front end alignment have your rear end alignment also checked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It's unfortunate that the coach manufacturers don't have the chassis realigned after they do their thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The manufacturer will align for an empty coach but when you load a couple thousand more pounds of personal belongings you'll need another alignment check.

Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The manufacturer will align for an empty coach but when you load a couple thousand more pounds of personal belongings you'll need another alignment check. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you that that is the line the manufacturers give us for not doing the alignment, but in reality these are truck chasses and are built to handle a lot of weight. A couple of thousand pounds is maybe 10% of the total weight of the vehicle. We didn't need to realign the 18 wheelers after loading them with 40,000lbs, which is equal to their unloaded weight.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We didn't need to realign the 18 wheelers after loading them with 40,000lbs, which is equal to their unloaded weight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Concerning the 18 wheelers, did they load the 40,000# on the tractor or on a trailer that the tractor was pulling??

BTW, I had my alignment checked, after loading, on my W24 and it is fine. No adjustments needed.

Possibly Winnebago does a better job of alignment than Fleetwood.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #9

Originally posted by TomN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Concerning the 18 wheelers, did they load the 40,000# on the tractor or on a trailer that the tractor was pulling?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

under current federal dot rules the max. weight (without special permit) for 18 wheeler is 80,000 pounds. Federal Bridge laws require that 80K to be distributed Not More Than 12,000 on tractor's steer axle, 34,000 on tractor's rear two axles (8 tires/tandem axles) and the last 34K on the trailers two axles.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Concerning the 18 wheelers, did they load the 40,000# on the tractor or on a trailer that the tractor was pulling?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They loaded it on a trailer, but about 6,000# was transferred to the steer axle. Unloaded the front axles have about 6 - 7,000# on them and as edgray indicated their max is 12,000#.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Teach:
..... but in reality these are truck chassis and are built to handle a lot of weight.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually ... The Workhorse chassis was specifically designed from the ground up to be a motorhome chassis and was not adapted from a truck application. The Workhorse will handle a lot of weight more so than the competitor in fact capable of using 15,500 pound rear axles and 9,000 front axles, for a gas chassis, it has the highest rated axles in the business. The 50K psi frame rails make for a great foundation as well so the strength is built it but it's not a truck chassis.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Actually ... The Workhorse chassis was specifically designed from the ground up to be a motorhome chassis and was not adapted from a truck application... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Didn't mean to imply that WH was anything more than a MH.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Teach:
Didn't mean to imply that WH was anything less than a MH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's OK you're a good man Charlie Brown.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:40 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Rich,
One other thing you can check is your weight on each axle. If you got too much weight in the back, the front may be too light and that will affect your handling. The WH people can tell you what % of the total weight should be on the front axle. You should have the new rig weighed anyway so you know the correct tire presure to use.

Happy Trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote