Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #1

Have purchased but no delivery until next week. New Triple E Commander 36 foot. I have been reading through the posts here and most questions I had, have been answered. One is still confusing and that is the oil filled hubs and inspection. The new coach has the Alcoa wheels and as I understand it, the wheels should be removed every 3000 miles for inspection. This means off to a tire shop for wheel removal, or am I missing something? I am familiar with the Allison so no surprises there. The Aloca wheel finish leaves only the question, can you polish out nicks and wax these without creating a problem with the Alcoa special finish? My last MH was on Ford Chassis so I may still be missing something and would appreciate input from the people here. Other than that, looking forward to the new MH. Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #2

Have purchased but no delivery until next week. New Triple E Commander 36 foot. I have been reading through the posts here and most questions I had, have been answered. One is still confusing and that is the oil filled hubs and inspection. The new coach has the Alcoa wheels and as I understand it, the wheels should be removed every 3000 miles for inspection. This means off to a tire shop for wheel removal, or am I missing something? I am familiar with the Allison so no surprises there. The Aloca wheel finish leaves only the question, can you polish out nicks and wax these without creating a problem with the Alcoa special finish? My last MH was on Ford Chassis so I may still be missing something and would appreciate input from the people here. Other than that, looking forward to the new MH. Thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have a 2003 Commander (great coach) and thankly have crome wheels.The Aluminum wheels will require more cleaning and waxing.

The hubs don't have to be inspected very often if you don't see oil leaking onto the wheel. There may be a cap that can be removed to inspect them.
I have 45,000k on my coach now and the oil level has never changed. I have had the wheels and axels removed 2 times for rotor problems and each time the seals were replaced as was the oil. I used 90w synthetic.
If I can be of more info on the Commander - email me at spine@wlake.com.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Westies,
The wheel does not have to be removed to inspect the bearing oil. Only a hub center cap needs to be removed from the aluminum wheels. It comes off just like a hubcap on a car. Under the cap is a sight glass where you can check the oil level. Takes about 2 minutes per wheel. There is a cap you can remove to top off the oil however if you need to top it off, you have a leak and should have it inspected.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #5

The wheel is the new Alcoa Dura-Bright wheel and I never paid attention when we purchased the unit, but from pictures I took, it is an 8 stud one piece wheel and looks like no center cap. I understand this wheel was an option with Workhorse from mid 2004 production to present. Prior to that, the Alcoa did have a center cap.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The new coach has the Alcoa wheels and as I understand it, the wheels should be removed every 3000 miles for inspection. This means off to a tire shop for wheel removal, or am I missing something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WESTIES: There is no mention in the Workhorse Chassis Guide about removal for inspection. Hopefully, you will find this "understanding" to be incorrect, because the time and expense every 3000 miles would be just too much.

Regarding the center cap issue, the guide says the Alcoa Dura-Bright option wheels require front hub kit (W0003352) and rear hub kit (W0004595) and the wheels themselves are different part numbers, front & rear, so that would seem to require dis-mount and remount if you want to rotate the tires.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Aloca wheel finish leaves only the question, can you polish out nicks and wax these without creating a problem with the Alcoa special finish? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WESTIES: the Guide says "For Dura-Bright wheels clean with soap and water." The good news is that they are warranted by ALCOA for 60 months from date of Manufacture as shown on the wheel. You may contact Alcoa for additional information at 1-800 242-9898. CONGRATULATIONS on your new coach! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote