Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #1

NHTSA ACTION #EA07016 NHTSA Recall Campaign

I PURCHASED A 2002/2003 DOLPHIN LX. 3 MONTHS LATER I TOOK IT TO VERO BEACH CHRYSLER WHERE I BOUGHT THE RV, FROM W.P.B (78.46 MILES)I SMELLED SOMETHING BURNING STOPPED ,DIDNT SEE ANYTHING, WITH ONLY A BLOCK TO GO I PULLED IN, THEY SAW SMOKE COMMING FROM THE FRONT WHEELS THERE WAS BRAKE FLUID ALL OVER THE TIRES. ALTHO THEY HAVE A SERVICE DEPT. THEY SAID THEY DONT DO BRAKES THERE ,SO THEY CALLED SERVICE CHEVROLET JUST DOWN THE STREET AND TOLD ME TO DRIVE IT DOWN THERE ,IT WAS JUST BEFORE CLOSING FRIDAY HE SAID HE WOULD WORK ON IT ON SAT. AND CALL ME .HE CALLED WPB SAT AND SAID HE NEEDED TO HAVE THE PARTS FLOWN IN FROM WORKHORSE HE REPLACED TWO FT.CALIPERS ,ROTORS AND PADS AND SENSORS. ALSO THE BEARINGS I WAS FLOORED WHEN THE BILL TOTALED $4,826.24 I HAD BOUGHT A EXTENDED WARRENTY WHEN I BOUGHT THE RV BUT WAS UNABLE TO CALL THEM UNTIL MONDAY MORNING WHEN THEY OPENED AND I WENT TO PICK UP THE RV AND COULD GET TO MY PAPER WORK IN THE RV .THEY REFUSED TO HONOR IT BECAUSE THEY SAID I WAS SUPPOSED TO CALL BEFORE THE WORK WAS DONE I WAS 78 MILES FROM MY SONS HOUSE AND HAD TWO DOGS AND A BIRD IN THE RV. JUST YESTERDAY I TOOK THE RV TO A CHEVORLET PLACE IN LAKE WORTH FL. TO HAVE THE OIL CHANGED AND THE SAFTY CHECK REVEALED THE ABS LIGHT ON, HE SAID THE BACK CALIPERS WERE COOKED AND THE SPEED SENSOR WAS MELTED.AND A BOLT WAS MISSING OUT OF THE CALIPER.IT WILL NEED TO NEW PADS AND ROTORS,ETC.APROX.COST $2,000.I WAS TOLD THIS IS A PROBLEM SHARED BY OTHERS WITH WORKHORSE W22 CHASSI'S AND THAT THERE MIGHT BE LITIGATION IN PROGRESS WILL SOMEONE ADD MY NAME TO THE LIST OF PEOPLE WHO ARE HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM. MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS NANCYCHICKYLADY@AOL.COM AND WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING FROM ANYONE WHO CAN ENLIGHTEN ME.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nancy Lee, WOW!!! Over $4800.00 for front brake rotors, calipers, and bearings! About the only enlightment I could give you, is stop payment on the bill!! You are being taken advantage of big time.

Dieselclacker
Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Nancy, this is an ongoing problem with Workhorse chassis. Please report your problem to the NHTSA and I would urge you to write your Congressman also. The NHTSA has an ongoing investigation into Workhorse brake problems, however, Workhorse refuses to acknowledge there is a problem.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nancy you can report it here www.nhtsa.gov. You can also report by phone or mail. This has been a issue for longer than we like. Also please write your congressman as rick suggested. We need all the help we can get. There is another post that is 36 pages long that I suggest you read. Irv2 has closed it so no can post there anymore. Yes the workhorse brake parts are very expensive. I was shocked everytime I had to write a check for my brake issues. AS always IMO.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #5

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK ,I BOUGHT THE RV WITH 47,000. MILES THE FIRST INCIDENT WAS AT 48,000. MILES. WAS SO UPSET THAT THE EXTENDED WARRENTY DIDNT COVER ME AND I WAS SO FAR FROM MY SONS HOME IN WPB AND NO PLACE TO SLEEP THAT I JUST PAID THE BILL,BUT THIS TIME WITH MILLAGE AT 57,000.I WAS TOLD THAT THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH WORKHORSE SO I FOUND THIS SITE , I NEED TO HAVE THE BACK BRAKES REPAIRED NOW BEFORE I HIT THE ROAD AGAIN IN JUNE "UGH" RIGHT THRU THE MOUNTAINS TO TENN/.AND NC AT LEAST MAROONE CHEVY ONLY WANTS $2,000/WHATS SO GREAT ABOUT WORKHORSE, I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE BEST? IS THAT JUST UNTIL THE WARRENTY IS DONE.?THANKS FOR THE HELP I DID MAKE A COMPLAINT TO NHTSA BUT IT HASNT DONE YOU ALL MUCH GOOD ,SO I WONT HOLD MY BREATH. HOPE THE BRAKES HOLD FOR MY TRIP HOME FOR CLASS REUNION. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR CONCERN NANCY LEE
Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nancy welcome to the forum. Your posts would be much easier to read if they were not in all capitols.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I again experienced this issue with sticking brakes over the weekend and have filed a NHTSA complaint. I have spent the last hour reading the complaints and supporting documentation of the investigation. It sounds like we all are experiencing identical problems. I just wonder how long it will be before a conclusion is reached? I hope soon, because of the repair costs listed above!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAG321 View Post
I again experienced this issue with sticking brakes over the weekend and have filed a NHTSA complaint. I have spent the last hour reading the complaints and supporting documentation of the investigation. It sounds like we all are experiencing identical problems. I just wonder how long it will be before a conclusion is reached? I hope soon, because of the repair costs listed above!
ALAG321, I urge you to also write to your Congressman concerning your brake problem. We must keep the pressure on if we ever expect to get this resolved. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to filing a NHTSA complaint and writing my congressman, I decided to email Workhorse just to rattle their cage about the brakes. Here is their response: Dear Customer

Here is the the response to your question :
2002 W22 brake issues

Our Response:
Thanks for your email. You should continue to work with your local certified Workhorse Service Center for assistance. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions or concerns. Your first point of contact is always your service center.

Thanks
Workhorse Support

Just thought that was funny!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAG321 View Post
In addition to filing a NHTSA complaint and writing my congressman, I decided to email Workhorse just to rattle their cage about the brakes. Here is their response: Dear Customer

Here is the the response to your question :
2002 W22 brake issues

Our Response:
Thanks for your email. You should continue to work with your local certified Workhorse Service Center for assistance. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions or concerns. Your first point of contact is always your service center.

Thanks
Workhorse Support

Just thought that was funny!

Very Thoughtful and reassuring response by Mr. Workhorse Support
"Please let us know if we can answer any other questions or concerns."
Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I think that this is the best answer that is available at the moment given that we are expecting the release of the NHTSA investigation in about another 7 to 10 days. Let's see how all of that works out.

I really don't see anything funny by the way, this issue is quite concerning to a lot of owners.

I am certain that if an in-warranty issue was presented, the answer would have been a lot different which is consistent with other members that have had positive warranty resolutions. Even under warranty there would still be cases where braking components would not be covered.

The braking issue that we have here is not unique by the way. I was directed to a thread on RV.NET where out of warranty Ford owners experienced quite a few similar issues without resolution on the part of that company.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I think that this is the best answer that is available at the moment given that we are expecting the release of the NHTSA investigation in about another 7 to 10 days. Let's see how all of that works out.

I really don't see anything funny by the way, this issue is quite concerning to a lot of owners.

I am certain that if an in-warranty issue was presented, the answer would have been a lot different which is consistent with other members that have had positive warranty resolutions. Even under warranty there would still be cases where braking components would not be covered.

The braking issue that we have here is not unique by the way. I was directed to a thread on RV.NET where out of warranty Ford owners experienced quite a few similar issues without resolution on the part of that company.
I seriously doubt that ALAG321 is making light of anyone having brake issues, but more likely he was referring to the statement ‘Please let us know if we can answer any other questions or concerns.’ In other words, Workhorse is saying we can be helpful on any other question or concern you may have, except the reason you contacted us in the first place, BRAKES. And you're right when you say not funny: there is NOTHING funny about the, to date, lack of product support from Workhorse.

As far as ‘if an in-warranty issue was presented,…’ I know first-hand that is absolutely not true, as Workhorse didn’t pay a dime in my case, along with many others reported right here, and like others, my chassis is STILL under warranty.

While we are all hoping for some kind of resolution from Workhorse, to date, I can’t put any kind of positive spin on the W-chassis brake issues, as I have never seen or received ANYTHING from Workhorse acknowledging this problem, their investigation or even a warning or additional maintenance that I should do, only what’s been said on forums and the NHTSA website. Not a single letter, email, postcard, phone call.. nada!

Good luck to you NANCY LEE, as this issue has been going on for at least 2 1/2 years and it's been an up-hill battle all the way...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Richard34A said
Quote:
As far as ‘if an in-warranty issue was presented,…’ I know first-hand that is absolutely not true, as Workhorse didn’t pay a dime in my case, along with many others reported right here, and like others, my chassis is STILL under warranty.
Richard, my brake issues were paid for under warranty and I have talked with a few others who also had WH cover their brake issues. In following this forum for the last year, there have been some members who stated their brake issues were covered under warranty.
The brake concern is a serious issue and as others I have reported my incident to NHTSA, and am awaiting a finalization. I have high expectations that a resolution is forth coming shortly. If it should be concluded as a non issue then I will reevaluate my opinion on WH, Bosch, and NHTSA.
I do agree that ALAG321 was not making light of the brake issue but the wording of the WH reply.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Just another example of Workhorse refusing to acknowledge that there is a brake peoblem. I sure hope NHTSA takes Workhorse to task on this issue.