Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone know if there is a bulletin out on this? Is there a recall coming? My coach is in the shop at this very moment. What should I ask my dealer to do? This report, along with the related threads going on here, are deeply troubling.

NHTSA Action Number :
PE07032
Make/Models: Model/Build Years:
Workhorse W20 2000–2005
Manufacturer :
Workhorse Custom Chassis
Component :
Service Brakes, Hydraulic

Summary:

ODI has received reports on model year 2000–2005 Workhorse Chassis recreational vehicles with allegations of overheating disc brake calipers. Owners are claiming that in some cases the brakes begin to drag and lock up. ODI conducted interviews with complainants and several reported that during normal brake pedal applications, the brake linkage binds at a pivot point. The binding may contribute to inadequate release of the calipers causing the calipers to drag and overheat. Some owners also report the brake pedal goes to the floor. Overheating calipers, depending on the severity, may cause brake drag with premature pad wear, brake lockup, wheel end fire and possibly brake fluid boil and evaporation.

For more information, owners may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327– 4236 or visit www.safercar.gov.

W-20 Workhorse
surfride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone know if there is a bulletin out on this? Is there a recall coming? My coach is in the shop at this very moment. What should I ask my dealer to do? This report, along with the related threads going on here, are deeply troubling.

NHTSA Action Number :
PE07032
Make/Models: Model/Build Years:
Workhorse W20 2000–2005
Manufacturer :
Workhorse Custom Chassis
Component :
Service Brakes, Hydraulic

Summary:

ODI has received reports on model year 2000–2005 Workhorse Chassis recreational vehicles with allegations of overheating disc brake calipers. Owners are claiming that in some cases the brakes begin to drag and lock up. ODI conducted interviews with complainants and several reported that during normal brake pedal applications, the brake linkage binds at a pivot point. The binding may contribute to inadequate release of the calipers causing the calipers to drag and overheat. Some owners also report the brake pedal goes to the floor. Overheating calipers, depending on the severity, may cause brake drag with premature pad wear, brake lockup, wheel end fire and possibly brake fluid boil and evaporation.

For more information, owners may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327– 4236 or visit www.safercar.gov.

W-20 Workhorse
Old 09-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's on NHTSA

NHTSA Action Number : PE07032 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
WORKHORSE / W20 2000-2005

Manufacturer : WORKHORSE CUSTOM CHASSIS
Component :
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Date Investigation Opened : June 25, 2007
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
ODI HAS RECEIVED 17 REPORTS ON MODEL YEAR 2000-2005 WORKHORSE CHASSIS RECREATIONAL VEHICLES WITH ALLEGATIONS OF OVERHEATING DISC BRAKE CALIPERS. NINE OF THE COMPLAINTS FALL WITHIN THE RANGE OF BUILD DATES TO WHICH RECALL # 04V-084 APPLIED. THE REMAINING EIGHT APPEAR TO BE OUTSIDE OF THE APPLICABLE BUILD DATES (AUGUST 2000 - JUNE 2002). OWNERS ARE CLAIMING THAT IN SOME CASES THE BRAKES BEGIN TO DRAG AND LOCK UP. ODI CONDUCTED INTERVIEWS WITH COMPLAINANTS AND SEVERAL REPORTED THAT DURING NORMAL BRAKE PEDAL APPLICATIONS, THE BRAKE LINKAGE BINDS AT A PIVOT POINT. THE BINDING MAY CONTRIBUTE TO INADEQUATE RELEASE OF THE CALIPERS CAUSING THE CALIPERS TO DRAG AND OVERHEAT. SOME OWNERS ALSO REPORT THE BRAKE PEDAL GOES TO THE FLOOR. OVERHEATING CALIPERS, DEPENDING ON THE SEVERITY, MAY CAUSE BRAKE DRAG WITH PREMATURE PAD WEAR, BRAKE LOCKUP, WHEEL END FIRE AND POSSIBLY BRAKE FLUID BOIL AND EVAPORATION. ODI BELIEVES THAT A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION IS WARRANTED TO ASSESS THE POSSIBLE SAFETY CONCERNS AND SCOPE OF THIS PROBLEM.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My own opinion is there is a chance that since I believe the W20 and W22 use the same brakes, why isn't the W22 listed? Is this a case as with my P30, that not maintaining the caliper slides with yearly maintenance and long periods of not being used is causing this problem?
I had my slide pins checked every couple of years on the P30. The W20 gets high usage and has not shown any problems to date. Over 20K miles ---
Old 09-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MikeT, as a WH Ambassador, perhaps you can help to put my mind at ease. Is there a problem or not? Has WH issued any bulletins for brakes not covered by the recall? What should my dealer look for. Brakes are rather import.

Thanks,

W-20 Workhorse
Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is the first I've heard of it -- waiting for DriVer to come in here ---
Old 09-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's set the record straight ----

This is NOT a recall, if you look at the NHTSA post, recall is N/A

The problem as reported to NHTSA is under investigation by them.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeT:
-- waiting for DriVer to come in here --- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I haven't heard anything yet aside from the understanding that this is an investigation and not a campaign.

During the last few recalls Workhorse has always told NHTSA that it was implementing a recall. If anything is wrong or not safe Workhorse will make it right however the matter is only under investigation by NHTSA.

Surfride, I wouldn't think that a service center will be able to offer a remedy to a campaign that's not in effect. Depending on your mileage and how many years you have owned your motorhome, routine brake maintenance may be appropriate.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As someone else said, It is not a recall but may (or may not) become one.

The problem has been reported here in this forum before and IIRC it's a lubrication issue. Failure to grease the zerk is the cause,, Greasing the zerk is the cure. But check the lub specs for the rig before reaching for the grease gun PLEASE

Also, do not forget the brake caliper pins on the Workhorse rigs... I very strongly suspect my local authorized service center is forgetting them.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John-D:
Failure to grease the zerk is the cause,, Greasing the zerk is the cure. But check the lub specs for the rig before reaching for the grease gun PLEASE
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zerk?? I was not aware of a grease zerk on the Workhorse brakes. Where is it??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John-D:
Failure to grease the zerk is the cause,, Greasing the zerk is the cure. But check the lub specs for the rig before reaching for the grease gun PLEASE
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zerk?? I was not aware of a grease zerk on the Workhorse brakes. Where is it??

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same question I have...WHAT ZERK?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Symantecs, investigation/campaing/recall... There are recent threads about this very issue on this forum, now the NHTSA is investigating. If memory serves DriVer and MikeT have some sort of financial interest in Workhorse, so I have to discount their comments. I sent the information to my service writer, hopefully, they will know what to do. Curious though, when I wrote a post in July asking what maintenance should be done, and specifically asked about the brakes, DriVer responded and said nothing about brakes. If this is so critical to the function of the brakes, why doesn't my service writer know about it? Why hasn't wh sent out a bulletin reminding dealers of this critical inspection/maintenance?

W-20 Workhorse
Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Surfrider, conflict of interest?? I for one
would hope that would not happen HERE!!
He said, tongue in cheek.........TENN.VOL.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #14
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Zerk fitting get's installed in the brake bellcrank tube.If you are at a Workhorse facility they will install one for you,they may need to be reminded as not all WH centers are alike.Surfride just have them pull the wheels and check for cracked rotors,burned caliper boots,melted ABS wires,Etc.Motorhomes with Hydraulic brakes have been cracking rotors & overheated brakes long before Workhorse came along,I have a Spartan diesel pusher in here now with four cracked rotors & melted caliper boots,all caused by bad brake hoses.Just have your brakes inspected by a competent shop...Where are you located maybe I can help with that & make sure that zerk fitting is in place.