Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 04:32 AM   #1

No brake lights after "incident", need a little help

Most of you here have been following the seized caliper thread. Mine (LR) got so hot it blew the tire and started a tire fire. Rig was towed to Reeder Chevrolet in Knoxville which are the only authorized Workhorse facility in my area. Reeder replaced all 4 calipers, rotors, pads, hard lines, rubber lines & rear bearings.

Once it was all back together, they informed me that the brake lights were not functioning. The Mech checked the wiring in the vicinity of the meltdown but found no melted wires & even said the loom was intact. He checked the brake switch by bench testing it and said it was good & when on the Coach it is functioning correctly. That there is 12v brake power at that location. He tried to trace the wires to the rear from there, but said the bundle of wires running back are all White.....ALL of them. He spent a few hours on this and then gave up before I picked up the coach yesterday.

Running lights, turn signals and flashers all work. Keep in mind that the Bounder has separate Red and Yellow tail lights(4 total). Red is 1157 dual element bulb for brake and running lights, Yellow is for turn signal and flasher.

While driving it there are some odd things going on[clues]:

-Cruise control does not work(it worked perfectly before the incident) I know the brake light switch or a fuse is usually the culprit.

-Blue High Beam indicator lamp is >ON< all the time during daylight driving, but the High Beams are NOT on. If I turn on the parking or headlights, the High Beam indicator goes >OFF< unless I flip the high beams on in which case the indicator comes on like it's supposed to do.
Before the incident, high beam indicator was never on during the day.

Before it got dark yesterday I checked both interior dash fuse panel and exterior one on the chassis. All Brake or ABS fuses are good. I then pulled the RR brake/tail lamp assembly and found the 1157 bulb intact.

Today, I will pull the left one tomorrow and verify that both bulbs bench test as functional. I will check the trailer light harness and see if Brake lights are functional or not. Then I guess it's under the rig to inspect the wiring that runs inside the frame rail on the left side where the heat might have damaged them. I will also read any codes that may or may not show up on the Scan Gauge.

Why would Fleetwood run a bundle of multi function wires and have them all the same color? This makes no sense unless all their harnesses were pre-labeled at each end? And even then it just fundamentally seems like a bad idea.

My pea brain keeps going back to the odd happenings when driving home. I know all those things are related- blue indicator, cruise, brake lights. I just need to figure out how they are related.

I have hair to pullout, but trying not to resort to it. Maybe I should shave it all off and go Telly Savalas until I get this figured out?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

JMHO: I'm thinking a bad ground somewhere , because some system doesn't have a good ground , it's back feeding through the high beam indicator bulb, lighting it up.
Start in the area of the fire damage , checking grounds with an ohm meter , from the brake light socket to the frame rail would be the place to start.

EDIT: BTW, I don't have access to a Workhorse wiring schematic , and would have to question if all W/h chassis used separate signal & brake lights or if that is just a Bounder thing ; if it's Bounder only then there must be a converter somewhere in the back to separate the signal and brake light power and direct it to the appropriate bulb.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #3

Skip there is a heavy bare copper "house" ground wire that attached to the frame about 1 foot from the flame area, so I will remove it, clean and re-tighten.

Here is a wiring diagram for the W22.....it's not my area of expertise reading the schematics though:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...3&d=1497918437
Old 05-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #4

Found it!

The aftermarket Tow veh braking system ties into the brake/tail light harness on the right frame rail just forward of the rear axle. It's in a loom that is zip tied to the hard brake line that just got replaced. There is a 3 way crimp and it was wrapped in black tape, but when I grabbed it an bent it, it did not feel like a positive connection. When I took the tape off the wire fell out of the crimp.

I also found and cleaned a ground that came out of the loom on the left frame rail and attached to the frame. This loom was house wiring, and no brake lines run in the left frame rail on my coach...only the right so really think the fix was the aftermarket wiring.

I cut and reconnected everything on the right side and boom...brake lights work and the blue highbeam indicator is off like it should be. Headed back to dealership tomorrow for failed new front axle bearings and will test the cruise then.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #5

Great to hear, that you’re fixed up and mobile.

As always ,with electrical, pinpointing the problem ,takes99% of the time.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That the cruse control does not work when the brake lights are not working is NOT a surprise.. they are related and interact in normal operation.

The cruse control has two connections to the brake light circuit
ONE on the HOT side of the switch. if this is not "HIGH" (Hot) then the cruse will not work
One on the swiched side of the brake light switch. IF this one is HOT then teh cruse drops to "Standby" (remembering the setting but not operating)
That's how the thing knows you hit the brakes So it's double safety to insure the sensor (switched side) gets power.

Next.
Fuse, on a workhorse, is in the main chassis fuse box.
Open hood,, Stand dead center in front of RV, look into area thus exposed you should see a black box. Square or retangle with a bit of an "extension" (about an inch) on one lower corner. Box is not marked.

Press the latches on each side and pull cover off diagram is on inside of cover Standard ATC type fuse as I recall (Blade fuse, standard size) but it has been several years since I replaced mine.

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights