Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
Can you produce one expert that would put in writing that changing the brake fluid is the CAUSE AND CURE of the wh brake problem.
I don't see anyone here arguing that point. No one here has stated that changing brake fluid is a cure other than yourself. I spoke to cause and effect. The cure is to fix the calipers according to the terms of the NHTSA campaign.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have owned this 02 since early 05. Since that time my I have learned that the braking in stop and go traffic will cause the caliper stick.

Yes, the very first time it happened back in 05 I took it in the WH Service center said they said nothing was wrong brakes looked good. Then I started by changing the brake fluid and bleeding the brakes. Wasn’t long before it happened again and we parked for a couple of hours and magically the problem was solved.

I now change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes once a year or if I feel the caliper sticking. In stop and go city traffic the pedal will not travel as far as the pervious braking action. So I know I need to pull over and let it set awhile. Then everything is ok and I am off and running.

Last year I changed the fluid 3 times. This year I already changed it once because the right front started to lock up on my way home. In fact we had just gotten home from a 2 week trip without an incident and after getting fuel we were a few miles from home when I felt the pedal get hard. I got home and the next week changed the fluid and bleed the brakes.

I am waiting for Workhorse to state there are parts available that solve this problem. I don’t want to be one of those that replaces parts and replaces parts and replaces parts. Why put in new BAD parts when I can baby what I have and hope the resolution comes soon.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I've got new brakes at this point and I'm not going to wait for them to go bad. I'm going to install my Oemy Speed Bleeders and flush my system "before" I have any problems. Guaranteed, if I run 100% brake fluid I do not expect to have any brake problems. If I do ya'll will be the first to know that changing brake fluid well before a failure occurred didn't work out.
I can assure you I never stated changing the brake fluid is the cure or cause.BTW, the last wh mech that worked on my brakes told me we could change the fluid until the cows come home and it wont change a thing. Geez Jim just posted he has changed his 3 times this year and he still has lockup or dragging.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnGOnTheGo View Post
I am waiting for Workhorse to state there are parts available that solve this problem.
I can't agree with you any more than what you just said. We're all waiting. I hope that we can get this issue behind us soon. I understand that the fix is undergoing testing and evaluation and when the solution is ready to go we here will be some of the first owners to hear all about it.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
... the last wh mech that worked on my brakes told me we could change the fluid until the cows come home and it wont change a thing. Geez Jim just posted he has changed his 3 times this year and he still has lockup or dragging.
I agree with the 3rd mechanic that worked on your brakes. This brings us back to the concept of PM versus maintenace. That sounds like something Larry would have said BTW and he's right. I'm just exhausted trying to get you to come off center and realize my point is to pursue a PM strategy early into an ownership rather than a maintenace and repair practice later on.

Jim is trying to keep on top of his fluid and it seems to be having limited results.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JnGOnTheGo

Jim, Has your rig had the first brake campaign completed? Or maybe your Workhorse chassis wasn't included in the recall.

Do you have a W-22 Chassis?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 AM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, my coach was part of the first recall and was completed.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #50

brake caliper drag

Hi fellow RVer's -- I have a W-22 2004 Itasca since new. I have 31500 now on the MH. I never though I would have problems, until this summer while on a 700 mile round trip to Boston. I was only two miles from home when I notice what felt like low tire pressure. So after stopping in my driveway I got out and noticed smoke coming from my right rear inboard tire. So after installing a new caliper at my WH dealer I have it home with new inspection. WH did bleed all four calipers and also install a new brake slid pin kit. My rig will sit until I get the new calipers installed. My WH rep says it is safe to drive. I say not. I think it's very risky business to drive these MH homes knowing their is a problem with the pistons hanging up in the calipers. Thanks for listening. Ed
edward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JnGOnTheGo

Jim--

Thanks for the info. Also for the conditions you posted when your occurrences happened. I just finished a 1000 mile trip from Maine to North Carolina in cool weather. My rig had the first recall completed in Dec '05. So far I have had no problems but I change the fluid weekly (just kidding).
It seems to me that hot summer, stop and go traffic, is a major contributing factor, to these failures. I'm parked in Maine for 5 months, during the hot days of summer.

Lets hope for a rapid solution to these problems. I admire your courage in recognizing these impending failures and continuing on your way--
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #52

edward63: WELCOME to iRV2.com ! we are glad you joined and posted. You've come to the right place for all things RV, and especially the best resource for info on your Workhorse chassis. please stay tuned! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward63 View Post
Hi fellow RVer's -- My rig will sit until I get the new calipers installed. My WH rep says it is safe to drive. I say not. I think it's very risky business to drive these MH homes knowing their is a problem with the pistons hanging up in the calipers. Thanks for listening. Ed
Ed,

You can call me stupid, or you can call me dumb, or you can call me ________ _______ _______, but I still use my MH.

I have put nearly 20,000 miles on the MH since my last brake failure.

I did change the brake fluid before this years almost 6,000 mile vacation.

Oh, did I mention I pray a lot

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Ed,

You can call me stupid, or you can call me dumb, or you can call me ________ _______ _______, ..............Ron
NOT TRUE, at least not here on iRV2.com !!! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Ed,

I still use my MH.

I have put nearly 20,000 miles on the MH since my last brake failure.

I did change the brake fluid before this years almost 6,000 mile vacation.

Ron
We have to agree. 6500 miles since brake failure and no problems. 6 weeks since brake fluid change.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #56

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will not agree that changing the brake fluid makes my brakes or mh safer. Read post #44 in the thread.