Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #1

NO Headlights No Power to the ignition. 2006 Monaco 8.1L Vortec

Sure hoping someone can give me some insight to a problem I a having with my Motorhome. I removed the engine to have it rebuilt from a blown head gasket. That being said the engine is back in and the harness is plugged in all the correct places. I have current to the starter. I have checked all the engine relays and fuses and grounds. I have put another ground 1/0 from the motor to the frame just to make sure. I have no current to the electrical center under the hood. No head lights No power to ignition or the rest of the dash. Ring any bells for anyone?
kcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #2

Sounds like a wire on the wrong terminal on starter or something like that. Follow power feed cable to fuse box back toward battery, probably connected to wrong post or just not connected at all.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #3

This is a pic of how they are connected. I have checked all the connections on the motor several times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E88608F-0242-4304-A2C1-1D49D0543155.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	324644  
Old 04-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcook View Post
Sure hoping someone can give me some insight to a problem I a having with my Motorhome. I removed the engine to have it rebuilt from a blown head gasket. That being said the engine is back in and the harness is plugged in all the correct places. I have current to the starter. I have checked all the engine relays and fuses and grounds. I have put another ground 1/0 from the motor to the frame just to make sure. I have no current to the electrical center under the hood. No head lights No power to ignition or the rest of the dash. Ring any bells for anyone?
Check the ignition 40A fuse in the panel under the center of wind shield on the exterior firewall.
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:42 PM   #5

Thanks I am not getting power to the fuse panel under the hood/front engine compartment. I have tested all the fuses and relays but still no power there either.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

Check for a fusible link wire which may not have gotten hooked up to the battery cable connection on the starter.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #7

Letmgrow hit the nail on the head. Chevy has 2 or 3 wires that are fuse able links and run down the back of pass side engine block to starter pos. They are usually inside a metal tube/ heat shield.. they may have been pulled inside where you can't see them.. or they could be lose.. gm for years always tapped headlights and ignition at the pos. Plug of starter.. if they are connected to the starter.. then look inside heat shield.. probably short inside by pass side tube
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #8

Upon looking at pic of starter connections, assuming bottom heavy wire is from battery, for GM there aren't enough wires. They usually use this as a power source for the front electronic circuits. Or if that is the fuse box wire the battery wire is missing! Let us know how you make out.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:22 PM   #9

Good morning guys and thanks for all the comments. Let me update the situation. I did have the shielded wire in the photo of the starter on the wrong terminal. which made my headlights and and electrical center under the hood come on and have power to it. I have fired the engine and ran it. everything is good except I still do not have power to my instrument cluster. no gages or control center ie. mileage/trip. the info the mode button controls. The fuse that goes to the instrument cluster sf42 40amp is good. Any ideals? Thanks
Old 04-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #10

just went out an looked at my starter and there are 4 wires that go to it. purple to crank side of selinoid and 3 wire to other side.. 1 heavy start wire and 2 others. 1 10 gauge for alt and headlight and 1 16 or 14 gauge that is red to fuse link that is black.. not shure what that is for. so believe that you are still missing one.. has to be to rear of eng pass sie.. with connection for 3/8 lug on starter. you may have thought it was a ground or bolted it down elsewhere..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #11

Kcook do you have power at that 40 amp fuse? This is probably for starter solenoid. The instrument cluster doesn't need that much amperage so should be lighter gauge wire from battery terminal on starter , probably 10 gauge with a wire end able to fit large post on solenoid. Only so many wires down there in that area. Sorry not much help, rig 20 miles away in storage.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:56 PM   #12

Also check all connectors, backpin with slender probe, make sure if power on one side, there's power going out of other side of same terminal position or connectors not making contact inside coupler. That has happened before.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #13

Hello again all. Thanks for all your help and advise. So I found a fuse in the internal fuse block that was blew. It powered the instrument cluster as well as the remainder of the fuse block. Upon replacing it it blew again. Unplugged the instrument cluster and put in another fuse. All’s good. No to remove the cluster and try to have repaired. So I installed a oil pressure gage and a temp gage to use to run the new engine. Will keep you updates thanks for the help yall
Old 04-28-2021, 05:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcook View Post
Hello again all. Thanks for all your help and advise. So I found a fuse in the internal fuse block that was blew. It powered the instrument cluster as well as the remainder of the fuse block. Upon replacing it it blew again. Unplugged the instrument cluster and put in another fuse. Allís good. No to remove the cluster and try to have repaired. So I installed a oil pressure gage and a temp gage to use to run the new engine. Will keep you updates thanks for the help yall
Check with "Ultra RV" (an advertiser on this forum) I believe they repair these instrument clusters.

Tags
headlight, headlights, ignition, light, lights, monaco, no power, power