Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Nut size - wheel cover retention nut - 2004 Suncruiser - Workhorse chassis

Just had new tires put on our 2004 Suncruise / workhorse chassis. The tech must have used a torque wrench to attach wheel covers. Can't budge them with the cheap t-bar wrench.

I need to know what socket size I need for the nuts used to put on the wheel cover and socket size for lug nuts. We are out in the boonies and I plan to by a breaker bar and socket next time I go to town.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just keep a 4 way tire iron handy. It works on the water heater plug also.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

4 way tire irons come in different sizes also. I want to use a HD breaker bar and want to know socket size for retention nut for wheel covers and lug nuts.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd520 View Post
4 way tire irons come in different sizes also. I want to use a HD breaker bar and want to know socket size for retention nut for wheel covers and lug nuts.
If you have a W series chassis the lug nuts require a 33mm impact socket, and are supposed to be torqued to 475 lb ft. I'm guessing the deco "covers" are slightly larger, but don't know their size. Some of them just "slip-on" over the lug nuts. Look to see if two or three of the covers have a dimple-those just pull off to expose the 33mm lugnut.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
On our '05 the decorative wheel cover nuts are 38MM, it's possible that without valve stem extensions it could be 37MM, really odd sizes.

I have tried to remove the covers that Ed mentioned, however the covers didn't budge, even with the special pliers.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the wheel cover nuts, I carry a 1 5/8 socket and a 3/4 inch breaker bar. I had it and it fit. I destroyed the the sheet medal socket tool that came with the motorhome.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same experience just this week trying to remove my covers after new tires were installed. I ended up using a 1 5/8" socket with a breaker bar and actually had to use a 4' cheater bar on that to break 4 of the nuts loose. Somewhere on another forum or thread, someone posted the link below to the Dicor site that identifies your wheelcover set. Depending on the style you have you may or may not need to remove the chrome lug cover before removing. Its also good for replacement parts including the sheet metal wrench used to install and remove the nuts. Good luck!

Dicor Wheels - Wheel-Parts-Finder | Dicor Products | Official Website

jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse, chassis, suncruiser