Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #1

OBD II Connection on 04 w22

I have a fleetwood Bounder on an 04 workhorse chassis. I am thinking of installing a Scanguage II, But I can't find the connection point. As I don't know what I am looking for, I am hoping someone can tell me where it is located.
Dave Hill
Dave Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You are looking for a black D shell modular connector. It may have as many as 4 wires coming out of the back of the connector. Fleetwood has located the connector at times in some strange places. It might NOT be mounted and just shoved up under the dash. The connector may have a cover over it but I doubt it.

Typically it will be located to the left side of the steering column since the wires are not all that long. If you do not immediately see it just under the dash look for it shoved up in the wiring under the dash.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If I remember correctly, most Bounders have the OBDII connector hidden behind a dash panel. If you look to the left of your steering wheel at the bottom of the trim there may be a separated trim piece that you can unscrew and access the port.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just went through this a few days ago. My 2004 Monaco LaPalma on the Workhorse 22 chassis has the OBDii port located on the lower left hand side of the the steering column. It is mounted parallel to the floor and is recessed back from the face of the dash about two inchs. I couldn't see it so I had my 8 yearold grandson crawl around under the dash and he found it right away.
I just ordered the UltraGauge for $69.95. All I really wanted was a OBDii reader which I could get for about $25 but figured I go for the $70 deal. Just couldn't justifiy the $130 for a Scangauge. No transmission temp with the UltraGauge.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Just wait till you put in for the Rebate....

I hav an Ultra Gauge and although it has 3 rotating sceeens of gauges it is a reall PITA to setup... It also has no Xgauge capabilities. The sceen is small an d all the buttons are on the back. It is not field upgradeable. It has has the OBD 2 cable is attached to the gauge. IE you have to unplug it to hide it.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #6

One last thing.... no phone # for any kind of support. Only support is via the web site forum and the guy that runs it is a piece of work. Also, you have to print the User Guide .. 40 page IIRC.

You get what you pay for... I have been waiting 8 weeks for $9 rebate
Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
oemtech... All you say is true. I researched the thing before I ordered it and pretty much decided the rebate would be a waste of time. Also noticed no phone number and comments on setup being a pain. Also there is no xmission temp. I don't plan on removing it and will mount it to the left of the drivers seat.
I don't plan to use it while driving, I'm more interested in the pending notifications it provides and the code readouts. I've had three check engine lights in the last two years and I want to find out what's causing them. All three times I was climbing a mountain.
They do have a good forum page and have answered all the questions posted on there so that's encouraging.
Does yours give you a fairly accurate water temp reading. My Actia gauge stays in the same spot even while climbing mountains at 100 degrees outside.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I don't plan to use it while driving, I'm more interested in the pending notifications it provides and the code readouts. I've had three check engine lights in the last two years and I want to find out what's causing them. All three times I was climbing a mountain.
Hi Arch, I would like to add that there is no device out there that can provide you with an accurate scan and a trapped DTC like the GM TechII. There have been codes that came up on a TechII that were not trapped by my Scan Gauge II (X-Gauge). I do not expect that any device priced in the range of an Ultra Gauge is going to provide you with the critical insight that you are attempting to obtain.

A "Check Engine" light should issue a DTC and I believe that it will trace back to an emission control process or device.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #9

The Acita temp gauge is nothing more than a visual idiot light. It's displays in ranges.

I have not tested the Ultra Gauge in the RV yet but the tests I have run it on my 2010 Challenger and the WT shows right on the money.... They should unless the data conversion is off.

One more thing about the Ultra Gauge, the latest upgrade is to display metric data. This is odd as the data stream is in metric (Lambda) to start with.

Yes the TechII is the way to go if you ave $3,000 to spend.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Yes the TechII is the way to go if you have $3,000 to spend.
You also fail to mention, the multi $hundred dollar$ annual firmware/software/data upgrades and updates.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #11

Yes I know this is off the topic - but thought I would share
Try the DRBIII Gauge - Paid over $6K for a device that only works on PCI based systems aka Chrysler products from 1996 > 2007
O' well you get what you pay for
Works great on my Jeeps
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
Yes I know this is off the topic - but thought I would share Try the DRBIII Gauge - Paid over $6K for a device that only works on PCI based systems aka Chrysler products from 1996 > 2007
O' well you get what you pay for works great on my Jeeps
The DRBIII won't work over the bus on GM ECM electronics.

As a rule of thumb, GM cars and light trucks use SAE J1850 VPW (Variable Pulse Width Modulation). Chrysler products and all European and most Asian imports use ISO 9141 or KWP2000 circuitry. Fords use SAE J1850 PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) communication patterns. All 2008 and newer model year vehicles use CAN.