Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2021, 01:22 AM   #1

OBDii-Ecm/Tcm/Srs/Tpms/etc readers-Help !

Since it appears that Workhorse/Allison hides or does not display via dash MIL light some/many codes which 'might' help if issues arise w/ ECM/TCM/ABS/SRS/TPMS/BTM-battery/etc systems, a 'complete' OBDii scanner that can see all systems and codes is needed - or you can miss something important !

Also, Live Data display seems very necessary for dynamic systems such as fuel systems.

(some OBDii can be used while driving to see parameters/sensor values that may need watching-some can save them too)

With all that said, it seems that no OBDii 'reader' does this for less than ~$100 and seems more like ~$135 (prices seem no upward limit $3300!) and up are needed to see most/all of the codes/sensor values shown via OBDii port.

Has anyone found a reader that does all this and they have used often and had SUCCESS for both basic and hard to find issues ??

a couple i see are (hard to choose one when zero user feedback!):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23392442568...Cclp%3A2334524

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36309240636...pid=2187571144

TIA!
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2021, 05:00 AM   #2

Seems the “Goto” unit is the Scan Gauge II. Can be used while driving. I have no clue if it displays all the info you want but it does a lot.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #3

I use innova scanner at big box auto parts store.. buy the best you can afford or justify.. on their website they support workhorse codes and I think it's about 9.00 per yr.. free 1st yr.. Mine was about 180.00 with coupons.. now it's not as good as 10,000.00 but enough for me.. I also will be adding scan gauge.. hopefully better members then me will help.. and give their advice.. this will be interesting..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Seems the “Goto” unit is the Scan Gauge II. Can be used while driving. I have no clue if it displays all the info you want but it does a lot.
I checked scanguage2 and there is no mention of them revealing SRS, ABS, TPMS, ECM, TCM, etc OBDII data, they may just no mention.

I am looking for a scanner that shows as much data as possible from the OBDII port.

My assumption is if not advertised, it does NOT do. simple as that.

Also afaik, the sg2 does not 'graph' live data, this can be a much more important thing than just #'s being displayed, as well as a graph shows the important 'TIME' aspect of the observed sensor.

It seems ~$100 and up scanners can do that, and the pros desire this as well.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The shops I use seem to all use the GM Tech II. It is very pricey but clones are available at under $400 on Amazon. I know of at least 2 UFO Chassis owners on iRV2 that own and use one.

Here is one at under $400 and another at $600, like I said, pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Taishi-Multil...5459747&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/ICHE-Diagnost...5459747&sr=8-5

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:26 AM   #6

I use the BlueDriver for my OBD II data. You can display live information, but I also use it on my cars and it will provide data on the other systems, not just the ECM. For example, it has told me which brake sensor was out in the anti-lock brakes of my wife’s Ford Escape.

I did use it on my Workhorse, but I only had occasion to use it once or twice so not sure how many parameters it will read.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:34 AM   #7

Best 8.1 Vortec Scan Tool GM Tech 2 Don't Leave Home with out it.

I also use the scangauge2 but the Teck2 does so much more.

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecm, tpms