Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Obscure Question: W20 Zerk Fitting Size

I have a grease gun that I've used a couple of times to lube my W20 chassis but am not happy with the fitment. It seems that I get more grease on the outside of the Zerk fitting than I do inside it.

Could someone tell me the specifics of the Zerk fittings for the W20 chassis? I'd like to know the exact Zerk size that is used on the steering, driveline, etc. so I can verify if I even have the correct coupler, (if that's the correct name for what fits on the Zerk).

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
More than likely the reason you're getting more grease out of the side of the zerk fitting is that the fitting is plugged or the grease connector isn't pushed on tightly enough.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is any dirt or grit in the grease gun fiting it will not seal onto the fitting. It also has to be a straight connection.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies. It's also possible I don't have the correct collar/connector on the grease gun and making a mess trying to make it work. I've looked online, through the owner's manual and chassis manual but can't find any reference as to what Zerk fittings are on the chassis. Still hoping someone knows based on their own grease gun fittings.

Thank you. -RT
Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On my grease guns the collar itself is adjustable by twisting it on/off. If you twist it all the on it will close up the teeth and hold onto the zerk better. If I adjust mine all the way tight I have to literally yank the hose off the fitting.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
On my grease guns the collar itself is adjustable by twisting it on/off. If you twist it all the on it will close up the teeth and hold onto the zerk better. If I adjust mine all the way tight I have to literally yank the hose off the fitting.
Great information, thank-you. I called a few places, including my local Workhorse service shop and they could only tell me they are all the same size on the chassis, but no idea regarding the specific size. BUT... talking to another individual I'm told that the head of all the Zerks are the same size; it's the threads and thread holes that are different. (Someone please post if this is NOT correct.) Searching the web a little further, it looks like Zerks can have different 'spanner' heights, such as M6, M8 and M10, meaning 10mm, 13mm and 16mm heights.

So, what you state makes sense to me. I've probably accidentally 'adjusted' the collar to too big or too small, and that's why I'm not actually snapping onto the Zerk head and getting the grease into it. Now, is this 'adjustability' only in a straight-collar, or a 90 degree too?

Thanks again! -RT
Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

The couplers on grease guns do wear out after time. Often times the fittings have rust on them which wears on the tiny jaws inside the coupler causing it to leak. It's good practice to clean off the fitting before snapping the coupler onto it. If it is exceptionally rusted you can clean it up somewhat with a penetrating fluid and a clean rag.
If you have one problematic change it out. Perhaps it has been hit by something and is dented or flat spotted somewhere. Fittings are actually cheap if you consider the complexity of a grease fitting.
I you decide to buy a new coupler for your grease gun I would suggest spending a couple dollars more for a well known brand such as Lincoln or Alemite. Cheap couplers will not fit right or last long. You truly get what you pay for. You can save the difference in cost just by not wasting grease by spilling it everywhere except into the fittings.
Be a straight shooter. By this I mean get the coupler directly in line with the end of the fitting before pumping grease. The hole in the fitting end is quite small and must line up straight with the coupler to work properly.
Lynn