Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
When I first bought my motorhome I realize that the air intake system was a engineering disaster (my opinion). I figured that after my warranty was up I would definitely add a Cold Air Intake. Well that idea lasted about a year or so.

Version 3 CAI is more of an update than a new version. I decided to get rid of the bulky and heavy PVC pipe and replace it with some light weight Aluminum. Jestme13 pointed me to Verocious Motorsports that has all kinds of goodies for automotive projects. I purchased following parts for this upgrade.:

1) 3.75" to 4" reducer to connect the MAF sensor to the 4" intake pipe.
2) 2 - 4" 45 degree bend Aluminum Tubes (very light weight).
3) 12" of 4" 4 ply Silicone hose to connect the 2 pieces of aluminum tubing. You could probably get by with 6" or less for most applications. Besides it sold by the INCH!
4) 4 - 3.50" to 4.50" Stainless Steel hose clamps
5) S&B Filter Cleaner & Oil Kit

A couple of things I found out when I took the system a part to do the upgrade.
1) The open end of the S&B filter really gets dirty from the ram air. If I were to get a new filter I wouldn't get an open end filter.
2) There was a lot of trash (dead grasshoppers, leaves etc) laying in the bottom of the filter box.
3) You may need to clean the filter more often. This does not mean you have wash and re-oil the filter. Just remove it and remove the trash and knock the loose dirt out.

Version 3

The Version 2 CAI was more "refined" version of the Version 1 CAI. It consisted of a larger battery box, a heavier 1/4' plastic cover, a bigger and better 8 layer S&B filter, some PVC pipe (much shorter), reused the rubber cap and hose clamps. I also added a ram air intake that consisted of a 6" start collar, 6" aluminum flex pipe, and a 6" 90 degree floor register. This version reduced the sound to almost stock.

Version 2

My first Version 1 CAI was "crude" and cheap but it was functional. It consisted of a battery box, a piece of 1/8" Lexan for a cover, a K&N filter I had laying around the shop, some PVC pipe, a rubber cap (to connect the MAF sensor to the PVC pipe) and some hose clamps. This CAI was loud all the time not just when you put your foot in.

Version 1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #2

When I first bought my motorhome I realize that the air intake system was a engineering disaster (my opinion). I figured that after my warranty was up I would definitely add a Cold Air Intake. Well that idea lasted about a year or so.

Version 3 CAI is more of an update than a new version. I decided to get rid of the bulky and heavy PVC pipe and replace it with some light weight Aluminum. Jestme13 pointed me to Verocious Motorsports that has all kinds of goodies for automotive projects. I purchased following parts for this upgrade.:

1) 3.75" to 4" reducer to connect the MAF sensor to the 4" intake pipe.
2) 2 - 4" 45 degree bend Aluminum Tubes (very light weight).
3) 12" of 4" 4 ply Silicone hose to connect the 2 pieces of aluminum tubing. You could probably get by with 6" or less for most applications. Besides it sold by the INCH!
4) 4 - 3.50" to 4.50" Stainless Steel hose clamps
5) S&B Filter Cleaner & Oil Kit

A couple of things I found out when I took the system a part to do the upgrade.
1) The open end of the S&B filter really gets dirty from the ram air. If I were to get a new filter I wouldn't get an open end filter.
2) There was a lot of trash (dead grasshoppers, leaves etc) laying in the bottom of the filter box.
3) You may need to clean the filter more often. This does not mean you have wash and re-oil the filter. Just remove it and remove the trash and knock the loose dirt out.

Version 3

The Version 2 CAI was more "refined" version of the Version 1 CAI. It consisted of a larger battery box, a heavier 1/4' plastic cover, a bigger and better 8 layer S&B filter, some PVC pipe (much shorter), reused the rubber cap and hose clamps. I also added a ram air intake that consisted of a 6" start collar, 6" aluminum flex pipe, and a 6" 90 degree floor register. This version reduced the sound to almost stock.

Version 2

My first Version 1 CAI was "crude" and cheap but it was functional. It consisted of a battery box, a piece of 1/8" Lexan for a cover, a K&N filter I had laying around the shop, some PVC pipe, a rubber cap (to connect the MAF sensor to the PVC pipe) and some hose clamps. This CAI was loud all the time not just when you put your foot in.

Version 1

Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Another fantastic presentation Dale, Thank you!!

However, I don't see any way to install your 12volt supercharger that you MUST be working on.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Really a very nice custom built CAI Dale! Can I assume that the cost is still less expensive than the store bought version that I have in my rv?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #5

I figure I have about $215 in parts... Labor who knows. Before you ask, "What would the cost be if I sold it".... A lot
Old 11-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
As always Oemy, a nice clean job
Have you noticed any HP or MPG improvement with the ram air? I beleive those nice smooth bends can only help you

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What would be really neat is to see a CAI that got rid of the >90? bend after the MAF sensor.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #8

Steve, I believe that the CAI with Ram Air has given a boost to HP/TQ and MPGH. Mow much, not sure as the "Butt Dyno" does have a guage! But, I have been getting a consistent 8.5-8.7 mpg since I installed it.

Mike, I have looked relocating the whole intake system. But, that means moving the TCM/ECM, the MAF sensor, the intake tube so that it comes directly out to the grill. That brings up a few questions like what is minimum distance from the throttle body can you locate the MAF sensor? Next where do mount the TCM/ECM so it cools properly, as you are limited by the connection cables? Do, we need to put the air filter in box or just leave it open? Lasty, what is the best way to hook all the parts together?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Mike, I have looked relocating the whole intake system. But, that means moving the TCM/ECM, the MAF sensor, the intake tube so that it comes directly out to the grill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would leave the CAI box where it is on top of the bumper and behind the fascia. The need exists that direct rain contact to the intake be impeded so presenting the CAI to a direct airstream unless we were going for the land RV speed record wouldn't be practical.

Just possibly the CAI box and outlet tube to the MAF can be moved forward a bit leaving the distance constant between the filter and the MAF. Coming off the back of the MAF perhaps a flex pipe connection eliminating or greatly reducing the &gt; than 90? bend might yield some performance improvement. I'm not at all sure that moving the computers would be essential.

This would of course have to be validated on a dyno. It might already be that you can't force any more air through the existing plumbing however I see less radical bends in the intake system as a benefit.

I saw a Saturn Sky with a GM branded CAI. Very simple in execution. A filter box directly in front of the radiator mounted close the the center line connected to the intake of the air/fuel system via tubing.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I saw a Saturn Sky with a GM branded CAI. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee... I wonder if that voids the GM warranty?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Gee... I wonder if that voids the GM warranty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> It was an OEM install!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #12

Well I made a 3 hour trip from home to Rayfords Crossing RV Park in Spring, TX and all I can say is the new change is even quieter than the old version.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Being deaf as I'm all I hear is a pleasent hum , the wife doesn't complain just gets louder up the hills.
I'm getting new hearing aid if its that loud guess you handed me another fix job.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #14

Don't say "Hearing Aid" to loud as my wife thinks I need one... She says I never hear her... selective hearing I guess.