Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Was there any pad transfer?
What is the significance of pad transfer? I don't think my calipers were hanging up. I paid RTS over $400 to clean and lubricate the brakes/calipers. The next service at recall reveals cracked rotors. I assert that the quality of the original rotors was substandard. I know the response from Workhorse is not up to my standard..

8.1 Chevy w/Banks PowerPack & UltraPower
Bear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear007 View Post
What is the significance of pad transfer?
The significance is what they will or will not pay for. Pad transfer undeniably shows that a caliper presented a condition that is reimbursable under the terms of the Interim Repair Procedure.

The rotors are not substandard or defective. If RTS changed you $400.00 for any optional or follow on work to your brakes while you were at their dealership I expect that a. You needed the work done and B. You received more value than what you paid for.

Did you not present these questions to Keith at the time you had the work done? I'm sure that he would have taken the time to explain it all to you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkowboy View Post
My appt. is the 7th of Jan for my recall to be completed. I have never had a problem with my brakes, except for a faulty ABS sensor right after we bought it that was covered under warranty. Our coach has 11K on it, we are not retired and havent been able to to use it much since Oct of 09 due to family stuff. We will be using it as a "getaway" this winter in the Palm Desert, with a few short trips this winter.

Man I cant wait to retire!!!!
I had my calipers replaced last week and since that time, I have had a noise and vibration in the brake peddle that I'm thinking is a ABS speed sensor that is malfunctioning. Can you tell me how you knew that you had a sensor problem that you mentioned. What were the symtoms?? I didn't mention previously that I had a problem several months ago with the calipers not releasing and it completely melted the oil retaining cap on the hub and l lost most of the oil. It got really hot.

Thanks
tomb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb10 View Post
I had my calipers replaced last week and since that time, I have had a noise and vibration in the brake peddle that I'm thinking is a ABS speed sensor that is malfunctioning. Can you tell me how you knew that you had a sensor problem that you mentioned. What were the symtoms?? I didn't mention previously that I had a problem several months ago with the calipers not releasing and it completely melted the oil retaining cap on the hub and l lost most of the oil. It got really hot.

Thanks
I didnt know that the ABS sensor was the problem till it went in to RTS. The problem presented itself a low speeds, 20mph and under, there was no noise. I just had a slow pedal pulse when the brakes were applied. Nothing above 20mph though.

Our coach is at RTS now for the recall, dropped it off there yesterday. Will be picking it up next Friday. We are having some other things done to it while its there, so I hope there isnt any other parts required for the brakes.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #61

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb10 View Post

Thanks
From what you are discribing you may well have a rotor that is warped. Excessive heat will cause it to happen and a melted cap on the hub would be a good indication along with the pulsing you are feeling.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #62

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Hi All,
My new MH has been at my dealer (DeMartini) out of Grass Valley. They took care of my list of warranty issues and they had my brake recall performed at a local Chevy service dept. for us. I got word yesterday that my MH is back at their lot with recall completed. They will now be installing a Falcon all terrain hitch and a SMI (I think its called?) brake system for our HHR. DeMartini has exceeded my expectations in sales and service. So yes we are happy.......campers.

Happy adventures to you and yours,
Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas9019 View Post
I They had the rig for 5 days, changed all four calibers, installed all new pads and rotors. Total cost to me was about $250. I. They changed the rotors and pads as well. The rig drives like it was supposed to.
Jeb Jonas

$250.00?!?!? The quote for my brakes (all 4 rotors with pads and seals) was $1499.00!! It's hard enough putting gas in this thing now a days but 22,000-miles and needs brakes all the way around. Has anybody gotten further with Workhorse to help pay for this? The dealer says no because the boots did not show any signs of overheating. But this is a classic condition of spongy brake pedal, overheating brakes--cracked rotors!! I was planning a summer vacation, not anymore. The RV will have to sit for another 6 months (making payments and insurance) until we can afford to go out again. Oh, and forget selling it or trading it it, owe too much. Maybe the bank will be coming to get it soon. Sorry for the vent. But I'm frustrated.
y2kbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #64

recall

Does anyone know off hand if Beaver Coaches are involved with this recall?
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Does anyone know off hand if Beaver Coaches are involved with this recall?
FLYING BUTCH, Not that I am aware of. This recall is for Workhorse and spans a half dozen of more gas and front engine diesel powered motorhome chassis.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flying Butch, Need more input. What model and year? Could very well be.

Mike
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Flying Butch, Need more input. What model and year? Could very well be.
Mike, There aren't any Beavers that are involved in the 51101-C (Workhorse) Brake Caliper Recall.

Perhaps posting this issue in the Monaco Owners Forum would yield better results.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thought they made a gas model for a time, Oops

Mike
Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #69

You can count on Workhorse to find a way not to pay for the substandard parts they use in their chasis. I've learned my lesson and will not buy Workhorse again. They dragged their feet on the brake recall and will not stand behind their products.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #70

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally got around to having my brake recall done this past week. Had it done at Midway Chevrolet, in Phoenix. Had 55,500 miles on motorhome so I decided to have pads replaced. They called me and asked if I was sure I wanted the pads replaced, because they had over 50% left. I went ahead and replaced because Workhorse was paying the labor. Very happy with Midway.
roy goble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
51101-c, bosch, calipers, recall, workhorse