Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #1

Well I did it this time. Before I deployed (military) I put my Outlaw (W24) in storage but forgot to disconnect the batteries. I'm back so last weekend I went down to pick up the coach and all three batteries (coach x 2 and chassis) are dead. I took the chassis battery home and charged it but it didn't taking a full charge so I decided to check the water level. Hmm, it was really hard to pop the tops (actually I only popped 1). It was so hard to pop that I believe the batteries are actually sealed. Is this correct? If they are sealed, will the top stay sealed good enough after I pushed the cap back on? If so, I thought I could see if there is enough charge to crank the motor and then I could at least get the RV back to the house to work on it. Anyway, it is a Workhorse brand battery. I don't live near a service center so can someone tell me what is a direct replacement battery and/or who carries the batteries (NAPA, Advance, Pep Boys, etc...). Thanks. -Roy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #2

Well I did it this time. Before I deployed (military) I put my Outlaw (W24) in storage but forgot to disconnect the batteries. I'm back so last weekend I went down to pick up the coach and all three batteries (coach x 2 and chassis) are dead. I took the chassis battery home and charged it but it didn't taking a full charge so I decided to check the water level. Hmm, it was really hard to pop the tops (actually I only popped 1). It was so hard to pop that I believe the batteries are actually sealed. Is this correct? If they are sealed, will the top stay sealed good enough after I pushed the cap back on? If so, I thought I could see if there is enough charge to crank the motor and then I could at least get the RV back to the house to work on it. Anyway, it is a Workhorse brand battery. I don't live near a service center so can someone tell me what is a direct replacement battery and/or who carries the batteries (NAPA, Advance, Pep Boys, etc...). Thanks. -Roy
Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #3

Chassis battery is a pretty standard size. I am in AZ also and just bought a Sears Die Hard. Reasonable price, good warranty, installed by them and old battery taken away. Nothing magical about the Workhorse brand that I know, just someone's battery that they put their name on.

If you can get enough charge in it to start your alternator should get you there if you don't run AC and headlights.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #4

Thanks - I guess I was really concerned about a new battery fitting. The current battery just sits on a plate and is held in place by a clamp that holds the bottom edge. I never paid much attention to batteries...do they all have the lip at the bottom for securing in place this way? All my previous experience has to do with batteries that are held in place across the top.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nothing magic about the battery. I suggest you remove it and take it with you to get the replacement. That way you can match the terminal position, physical size and hold down points. Good luck
Carvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LanceMan:
Well I did it this time. Before I deployed (military) I put my Outlaw (W24) in storage but forgot to disconnect the batteries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Roy, In case it hasn't been said enough, "Thank you for your service!"

Now that said if your batteries sat for a year and were totally allowed to run flat you may need to buy a new set of batteries. It would be a good starting point at any rate.

Your Workhorse automotive battery is sealed. Your 2 coach batteries are deep cycle batteries and they should have removable tops. If you are a Costco or Sam's Club member, these stores will normally carry good batteries at a reasonable price. wal*Mart also has good options for batteries as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #7

Thanks and my pleasure. I figured out too late that the Workhorse battery was sealed. You would think that the effort to pop the top would have clued me in but I had the man thing going and just couldn't stop myself from applying brute force. Oh well, I'll head over to Sears and see if they have a replacement battery that will fit...I printed the battery (engine battery - gas) specifications from the Workhorse site as a reference. I'm assuming that there is no issue with me driving the coach with dead coach batteries. I plan to swap them out when I get home. I don't live near a Costco or Sams but Wal-Mart is right around the corner so I'll go there for the coach's deep cycle batteries. Jeez this is going to be an expensive mistake.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take some time and goto The 12V Side. Invaluable reading and will put you on top of RV battery info.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LanceMan:
I'm assuming that there is no issue with me driving the coach with dead coach batteries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There is no problem driving your coach with "dead batteries" -- just so long as there's a battery in the circuit until you get it swapped out -- you'll be fine!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #10

Thanks much...I got the chassis battery tonight at Sears so tomorrow night I'll try to bring our baby home. We sure have missed camping.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #11

I have had good luck buying my batterys from WalMart. Another thing if you are out and have battery problems and they are still under warrenty, you can always find a WalMart
Old 08-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
The size I like the best is the biggest thing that will fit in there.
Also keep thinking of the newer 12V. golf cart batteries that are available now. Maybe not one to replace the two series connected OEM's, but how about two connected in parallel. Sounds like super power to me....whaddaya think?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote