Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Oil Change?

Wife and I are giving thought on a drive to Florida in RV (from Renton, Wa.) was curious should I change the oil prior or just wait until I return?

I changed it just before my return from HB, Ca. back in July and have driven 1,609 miles since then. I'm using Valvoline advanced full synthetic 10w-30 with a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

Oil Change?

Hey there fellow Washingtonian!

We recently, October 3rd, left Spokane and traveled over 4250 miles to Melbourne Beach Fl. I never actually thought about needing to change the oil until we arrived here and figured out the mileage. Since we’re a gas rig I probably should have changed it while on the road.

All that to say, you may go further than you expect so perhaps changing it before isn’t a bad idea although doing it on the road is probably possible.

Take care and enjoy the journey! And safe travels!

Oh...btw, where in Florida are you headed? We’re in Melbourne Beach at Outdoor Resort....and LOVING IT!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #3

What are you talking $50? Your oil is already close to 6 months old which is a max time span suggested in most owners manuals.
If you really want to know the facts, send a oil sample in for testing which will cost about $30 and then you will get a expert analysis on the projected oil life. I do this for my truck every 2 years/20k miles which is 4 oil changes. For me it is a small cost to monitor my tuck engine health.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #4

Oil Change?

Assuming you used approximately a quart of oil since the change, I would top off with fresh of what you used and plan on replacing the oil and filtervwhen you get back. Even if it is 2,000 miles each way to FL you would be just a little over 5K since changed and would likely have replaced at least two quarts since the change.

Whenever you change it, please know the recommendation is 5W30, especially when going into winter months.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IF it were my rig I'd change prior to departure. Cheap insurance. If you do the work yourself at least change the filter and refill as needed. Most modern syn oils will last for those miles.

On a 12,000 mile to Alaska I changed oil twice in route. I was due for a change at the first 1,000 miles and again at the 6,500 mile mark. Not lots of places to
change oil in some areas. Then did another oil change right after getting home.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

I pulled a sample of my oil last interval (10W-30 Valvoline VR-1 racing conventional) after ~4,000 and 14 months the TBN was still 6.1 (started at 8.5 new) I'm now using Valvoline full synthetic 10w-30 w/Mobil 1 Ext Perf. filter
Old 11-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
I pulled a sample of my oil last interval (10W-30 Valvoline VR-1 racing conventional) after ~4,000 and 14 months the TBN was still 6.1 (started at 8.5 new) I'm now using Valvoline full synthetic 10w-30 w/Mobil 1 Ext Perf. filter

Hmmm, can you elaborate? What’s TBN? Pretty sure it’s not a TV channel...[emoji4]
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #8

TBN = Total base number

It measures how much base (as in base vs. acid) additive is in the oil to offset the effects of acids coming into the oil from combustion and other sources. The lower the TBN reading, the less active additive the oil has left. A low TBN test result, meaning very little additive is left, is down around 1.0 or lower.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Hey there fellow Washingtonian!

We recently, October 3rd, left Spokane and traveled over 4250 miles to Melbourne Beach Fl. I never actually thought about needing to change the oil until we arrived here and figured out the mileage. Since we’re a gas rig I probably should have changed it while on the road.

All that to say, you may go further than you expect so perhaps changing it before isn’t a bad idea although doing it on the road is probably possible.

Take care and enjoy the journey! And safe travels!

Oh...btw, where in Florida are you headed? We’re in Melbourne Beach at Outdoor Resort....and LOVING IT!
Headed to Orlando. Then likely down to visit a buddy in Miami. With perhaps a trip down to the Keys.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:16 PM   #10

Given the timing and the mileage I see no reason to change it now, unless you just want to spend money. You are using a modern synthetic oil that is probably good for 10,000 miles or more between oil changes, not that I would suggest pushing it that far.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #11

It sounds like the OP has a oil analysis history to go from, which is way better than opinions.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote