Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 12:01 AM   #1

Oil changes when full time travelling

We've done most maintenance ourselves for the past many years. However, are in process of selling our home to FT and wondering where you folks who don't do your own oil changes go to when on the road?

For tires/brakes etc we always look for a Les Schwab but is there a specific national type company for affordable RV Oil Lube Change and anything else needing service when on the road travelling a lot.

Thanks for sharing where you get your oil/filter changes done and anything else you think might be useful to know as we hit the road.

Much appreciated,

SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 03:17 AM   #2

My driveway.

Oil from Costco or Sam’s. OEM equivalent and oil filters from Amazon.

Transmission fluid upgraded to TranSyn so ‘ner a worry there.

Rear differential gear oil will probably be from one of the above sources.

Chassis grease from whatever I have in my grease gun.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:58 AM   #3

How much oil are you changing? With a gasoline engine holding less than 2 gallons you could probably use a Fumoto valve and drain into a 2-gallon jug then dispose of it at the nearest Walmart, etc. But a diesel that holds many gallons, that wouldn't be so convenient. It'd be possible, though, if you've got a way to deal with the filter.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:12 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
...wondering where you folks who don't do your own oil changes go to when on the road?
SD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
My driveway.

So, you're inviting those who don't do their own oil changes to drop by your driveway? That's real neighborly of you!
Old 08-11-2022, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
So, you're inviting those who don't do their own oil changes to drop by your driveway? That's real neighborly of you!

No - only replying per the OP’s request “Thanks for sharing where you get your oil/filter changes done”.

But will consider sharing our driveway any time for a nominal fee TBD, and adequate quantities of good wine. Rules and restrictions will apply.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #6

We currently do do our own oil and filter changes at home but we are selling next year to hit the road and the only home we'll have will be our Gasser 37ft with workhorse chassis for however long the mood takes us to stay out and about.

Yes we do pour into plastic containers and locally dispose at our Fire station hall drop off but with hubby having more and more back issues, it's time when our younger family members aren't around to assist to start paying someone.

I'm wondering those of you that DON'T do your own oil changes if you have a preferred national or otherwise place you tend to go to for oil changes at a fair price when NOT doing them yourselves.

Thanks for sharing.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Oil changes when full time travelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post

No - only replying per the OP’s request “Thanks for sharing where you get your oil/filter changes done”.

But will consider sharing our driveway any time for a nominal fee TBD, and adequate quantities of good wine. Rules and restrictions will apply.

Yes but the op sold his “driveway” and was asking full timers how they did it. “Your driveway” doesn’t apply. I did it at home also .. when I had a home. But that’s not what the question was
To answer .. depends on what coach gas or diesel .. I’m diesel … I’ve used speedco (now loves) but they’ve changed and many don’t do mh now.
Most of my changes are at truck shops. I have a cat and that’s where I take mine. And the last two at a mobile lube truck that came to me
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Assuming DP.

Speedco is pretty much nationwide.

We travel through Yuma/Quartzite every winter and have an excellent mobile guy we meet up with there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:04 PM   #9

Any GM, Ford, or Chrysler dealership that has a truck service shop will probably do it.

We had the brake recall completed on our WorkHorse by a Navistar (Ford) heavy truck dealer/service garage (they were formally a WorkHorse shop as well).
I had them lube the chassis and test the ABS system while there as well (I had already changed the oil).

Could also take it to any oil change place that has bay doors high enough for your coach to roll into.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
We full-timed for 7 yrs all around the country, including Canada and Mexico. I do all the oil and lube myself. I always drain the oil hot after a long drive, usually in a remote section of a parking lot or at a friend or family we are visiting. I got the process down to a easy quick and clean steps. I despise oil drips in my driveway and I treat other locations with the same respect.

Since you don't want to or can't DYI, I see mobile oil change guys advertised in most campground map guide handouts. Same issue with no wash/waxing in rv parks, so you have to pay the mobile guys to wash your rig.

Happy Trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #11

For convenience........mobile rv mechanic.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most RV parks and campgrounds do not allow yo to do maintenance on the truck of motorhome without their approval. Oil changes are generally a no-go.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've heard that Walmart will, never tried it personally as I had DP's in the past. Now have Class C with Ford engine. Would like to hear if that's an optrion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Most RV parks and campgrounds do not allow yo to do maintenance on the truck of motorhome without their approval. Oil changes are generally a no-go.

Ken
I can do the job without anyone ever even noticing. Very easy.

As for washing. Do that as well. Use water-less wash & wax and a micro cloth towel. Done.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, oil change, travel