Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 07:02 PM   #1

Oil filter

I have a 30 ft 2005 Thor Hurricane with an 8.1. I bought it in the winter and I have just taken 3 trips and I'm changing the oil. I went to 2 parts stores that said that they didn't carry a filter for it. Finally Advance Auto had one and gave me a STP S8873. I changed the oil but the filter that I took out was a NAPA 1060. It is twice as tall as the STP that I am replacing it with. Is that a big problem? In a couple of days I am leaving on a 2500 mile trip.
LDC 1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 07:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You will be fine with the shorter filter. When ever you have room for a long filter it best to go with it just because it has more filter area.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:16 PM   #3

If you want the long filter, look for one of these numbers:

A C Delco PF932

Fram PH373

Wix 51794

Napa Gold 1794 Made by Wix with the NAPA name on it.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oil filters for a GM/Chevy 8.1 are a dime a dozen every auto parts has them. What they won't have is a filter for a Thor 8.1
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:10 AM   #5

WCC used AC/Delco PF454 as the standard. that filter only holds a 1/2 quart. Many are using the 1 Qt and 2 QT filters to replace the OE filter, believing that more oil and filter capacity is worth the increased costs.

Please be warned that the service people at WCC were adamant about the FRAM filter equal to the PF454 filter should NOT be used. I seem to remember they said it does not contain the anti-drain back feature used in the others.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
WCC used AC/Delco PF454 as the standard. that filter only holds a 1/2 quart. Many are using the 1 Qt and 2 QT filters to replace the OE filter, believing that more oil and filter capacity is worth the increased costs.

Please be warned that the service people at WCC were adamant about the FRAM filter equal to the PF454 filter should NOT be used. I seem to remember they said it does not contain the anti-drain back feature used in the others.
I only put a couple thousand miles a year on our rig so going by the manual, I changed the oil and filter annually. For my situation, it doesn't make any sense to use a larger filter and more oil.

WWC not recommending, I have never heard that! Yes, I know a lot of people hate Fram. I've read bad stories but I'm not sure I've ever heard any from people that had actual problems. I've used more Frams over the years than all the other brands of filters combined. Never a problem with an engine or a filter itself. Fram has been in business since the 30s so I have to believe that a lot of the Fram hate comes from hearsay, not actual problems. The filter I use does have a silicon anit-drainback valve.

Edited to add: I'm probably wrong but I was thinking the PF454 didn't have the anti-drainback valve and that the PF1218 was the better filter to use.

Edited again: No, I think the main difference is that the 1218 holds more.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
If you want the long filter, look for one of these numbers:

A C Delco PF932

Fram PH373

Wix 51794

Napa Gold 1794 Made by Wix with the NAPA name on it.
I've been using the 51794 Wix. Looking at the Amazon page it says made in China. The last filter I ordered from them was in Feb of this year and it says made in USA right on the filter.

I like the extra filtering material and the extra oil capacity, especially running in the heat.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I only put a couple thousand miles a year on our rig so going by the manual, I changed the oil and filter annually. For my situation, it doesn't make any sense to use a larger filter and more oil.

WWC not recommending, I have never heard that! …….

Edited to add: I'm probably wrong but I was thinking the PF454 didn't have the anti-drainback valve and that the PF1218 was the better filter to use.

Edited again: No, I think the main difference is that the 1218 holds more.

Well, you may not have heard it said, but the National Director of Service from WCC said exactly that at MANY seminars he held at WCMC rallies. To be clear, he did not say that “all” Fram filters should be avoided, only the one that was equivalent to the PF454 which they recommended, because it was their choice as OE on the 8.1 L motor they used.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Oil filters for a GM/Chevy 8.1 are a dime a dozen every auto parts has them. What they won't have is a filter for a Thor 8.1

Probably a dumb question:
Are you saying the "thor 8.1" oil filter is actually different than the "Chevy 8.1" filter, or that the OP is asking the parts house for a "thor 8.1" and thus confusing the crap out of them...?

Also, regarding the fram oil filters, I wouldn't put one on anything I wanted to drive more than once...

2011 Fleetwood Terra 34DS
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

Is an anti-drainback feature really important when the filter is installed upright? There's physically no way for the filter to drain when the only openings are at the top, unless you park upside-down...
Old 08-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Is an anti-drainback feature really important when the filter is installed upright? There's physically no way for the filter to drain when the only openings are at the top, unless you park upside-down...
I don't know the answer to your question. ALL I did in this thread is repeat the warning I personally heard countless times, and then had to defend my statement by providing more detail. Not being a lubrication engineer, I am "over and out"
Old 08-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you use a 1 qt filter at oil change instead of the short PF 454 type, filling the engine to the full mark on the dipstick requires 7 qts of oil. Filling with the the shorter PF 454 requires only 6 1/2 qts to fill to same mark. In addition to more filter media in the larger filter, I like not having an extra 1/2 quart of oil contend with when job is finished.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Without the anti-drainback valve the oil will siphon back to the sump. Just like siphoning fuel from a tank. This causes delay drawing the oil back on startup. Takes longer to build oil pressure. Yes, it's important.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Without the anti-drainback valve the oil will siphon back to the sump. Just like siphoning fuel from a tank. This causes delay drawing the oil back on startup. Takes longer to build oil pressure. Yes, it's important.

Drain-back valves only became necessary when manufacturers began designing vehicles that mandated oil filters be mounted off vertical due to confined engine compartment space. Diesel engine filters are mounted vertically just like the 8.1 and none have drain-back valves. So your saying that all the diesel engine manufacturers don't know anything about their oil system designs! Sorry, just can't agree with your thinking on this subject
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote