Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Old Gasoline

After Covid "lock downs" and some medical issues, we are finally ready to resume RV'ing. The gas in my MH is over 1 year old and last driven in November. There is just over a 1/2 tank so it will take about 40 gallons to fill it. It seems to drive fine so should I just fill with regular? Add some chemicals, or possibly top off with Premium?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #2

I would drive it like it was free gas and run the generator :-)
Old 05-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #3

The fuel might be ok , until you put the engine under load, probably going to ping then .

Octane booster and regular fuel .
Old 05-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine sat with a full tank about a year. Finally took it on a trip and had no problems.

Using premium fuel is a total waste as far as I'm concerned.

Fill it up and be on your way.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:00 PM   #5

Best to fill with ethanol free if storing for a length of time. After the fact id give it a try and just burn it up.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:00 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually, if you intend to drive this summer ethanol enhanced gasoline is better. Water is absorbed by the alcohol and then burned instead of collecting on the bottom of your fuel tank.

I have special interest cars that sometimes sit for a year with fuel in them. I never do anything special when I decide to drive them. Just get in and go! If it will make you feel better, add some injector cleaner.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Actually, if you intend to drive this summer ethanol enhanced gasoline is better. Water is absorbed by the alcohol and then burned instead of collecting on the bottom of your fuel tank.

I have special interest cars that sometimes sit for a year with fuel in them. I never do anything special when I decide to drive them. Just get in and go! If it will make you feel better, add some injector cleaner.
I use Costco gas almost exclusively and it is supposed to have injector cleaner in it. I have run the engine about every 2 months or so and the generator every month so as not to gum up things. I think I will just fill it up and go for it. My trip will be about 350 miles round trip so that should use up a lot of the old fuel.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #8

I've never experienced the doom and gloom so many people say comes with using ethanol gas. Ours has been run on old gas many times and has never had an issue. Have never had a problem using old fuel in our other vehicles, ATVs, boat, or lawn equipment. As you surmised, I'd just take off, fill er up along the way, and keep going.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #9

My old gasser sat almost 3 years treated with Sta-bil and had no issues. Now the brakes were a different story.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #10

I'm pretty much with everyone else here, run the gas you have. I think the fears about old gas are very much overblown. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
in the past I ruined a chainsaw, a rototiller and a power washer with old gas. The carbs on the 3 all gummed up beyond repair. I wasn't worried about gumming up the works but I was concerned about weakening the fuel if that is even possible. I just filled it up so it now has 50 gallons of older and 50 gallons of fresh. With the engine in the rear it is hard to notice any unusual noises.Are trip is in about 4 weeks so I will have to wait to see how it performs.

Thanx for all of the replies.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH was winterized and parked in October 2020. I just got it out, cleaned and sanitized the water system, got it and took a 1000 mile trip. The engine and the generator ran just fine.

I guess that old gas wasn't so old after all!
Old 05-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #13

I had 6 month old California gas and had an issue. Climbing highway 50 (elevation 0 start, 6000"+ summit) in summer heat. Near the summit the engine up and died. High heat, old gas, high elevation caused vapor lock resulting in no run condition. Solution. Let the engine cool, descended, added 91 octane to fill the tank and added 104 octane boost. Engine has run like a champ ever since. So now I add octane boost to the tank if it has old gas in it. Don't need to take that chance again. Incidentally, I get vapor lock in my Tacoma also if it's been running all day in the desert.
y2kbaja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas