Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Old Gasoline in Fuel Tank

How to Siphon 80 Gallons of 5 year old Regular Gasoline out of a 2001 Workhorse Custom Chassis. My wife passed away 5 years ago and the RV has just been sitting unused. It only has 22,000 miles on it. I've been told not to even start the 8.1 Engine because it could damage the engine and require a total rebuild. I am looking for suggestions on how to get past the Anti-Siphon Devises in the Fuel Fill Pipe and in the Fuel Tank it's self. Thank you. Rocco...
Rocco42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 4,267
As far as siphoning goes, there's a nice hand pump for automotive fluids including fuel at most auto parts stores. Cost under $20. I paid $8 for mine in Mexico a couple years ago. Harbor Freight has them I believe. While there, buy a couple fuel filters just in case you need to change yours. Inspect the fuel in a clear jar, look for floaters and sinkers.

Then, just sayin', sitting 5 years in a CLOSED FUEL SYSTEM should not cause your gas to go bad. What I used to do if there was a question about it is to pump out 1/2 cup or so, pour it on the ground and light it. If it flamed, okay, passed first test. Then I'd add fuel additives that were supposed to revitalize and stabilize the fuel, following instructions. Then I'd try to start it. If it started, passed 2nd test. Then I'd drive to the nearest fueling station and fill it up. And drive some more. Passed 3rd test if it started. Heh.

What you can do is get a few 10 gallon fuel jugs and fill them with the old gas, than top off the tank, than whenever you're at 1/2 tank, pour one of the jugs back in.

No sense wasting perfectly good gas.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,820
This should be interesting. Mine has been up on blocks for three years now with a near full tank. Or whatever is left after running it for an hour every three or four months. Of course, its got Stabil in it.
__________________
TandW
TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco42 View Post
How to Siphon 80 Gallons of 5 year old Regular Gasoline out of a 2001 Workhorse Custom Chassis. My wife passed away 5 years ago and the RV has just been sitting unused. It only has 22,000 miles on it. I've been told not to even start the 8.1 Engine because it could damage the engine and require a total rebuild. I am looking for suggestions on how to get past the Anti-Siphon Devises in the Fuel Fill Pipe and in the Fuel Tank it's self. Thank you. Rocco...
WARNING BEFORE YOU START THIS PROJECT. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN AN OPEN AND WELL-VENTILATED AREA. NO POSSIBILITY OF SPARKS, FLAME, OR ELECTRICAL WIRES. HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY

That unit should have an electric fuel pump on it. Get yourself several 5-gallon cans. Disconnect the fuel line where it enters the fuel rail, and connect 8' of gas line which you bought at the auto parts store. Put the other end in one of the 5-gallon cans, turn the ignition to on. Don't try and start it, just on, not accessory, the fuel pump will start and pump the fuel out.

I would also suggest getting a clear gas container. A gallon cider jar would be the best. When you first start pumping run a couple of quarts into it. Let it settle a little. See how much dirt and sediment is in it. You can then decide if you need to drop the tank or at least pull the fuel pump out and clean the tank.

Do not do more than one or two 5-gallon containers at a time. Move them away from the area. 5 gallons of gas on fire is bad but controllable. 80 gallons is an explosion.

Then the disposal. You need to check with your county or city for a hazardous waste site. An alternative, if the gas looks pretty good, you can mix it half and half with fresh gas and run it in lawnmowers and other non-essential uses. But 80 gallons is a lot. I would just bite the bullet and pay the disposal costs.

Do not try and bypass the anti-siphon tube. It is there for a reason and forcing something past it is dangerous.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
As far as siphoning goes, there's a nice hand pump for automotive fluids including fuel at most auto parts stores. Cost under $20. I paid $8 for mine in Mexico a couple years ago. Harbor Freight has them I believe. While there, buy a couple fuel filters just in case you need to change yours. Inspect the fuel in a clear jar, look for floaters and sinkers.

Then, just sayin', sitting 5 years in a CLOSED FUEL SYSTEM should not cause your gas to go bad. What I used to do if there was a question about it is to pump out 1/2 cup or so, pour it on the ground and light it. If it flamed, okay, passed first test. Then I'd add fuel additives that were supposed to revitalize and stabilize the fuel, following instructions. Then I'd try to start it. If it started, passed 2nd test. Then I'd drive to the nearest fueling station and fill it up. And drive some more. Passed 3rd test if it started. Heh.

What you can do is get a few 10 gallon fuel jugs and fill them with the old gas, than top off the tank, than whenever you're at 1/2 tank, pour one of the jugs back in.

No sense wasting perfectly good gas.
You can't just stick a hose down these tanks. Trying to do so damages the anti-siphon tube and can cause fuel to leak when the tank is full.

Second. If you are going to give advice on him starting his motor with 5-year-old gas, make sure and text him your credit card number in case it damages his fuel injection, or worse, his engine.

And that gas is not perfectly good.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
This should be interesting. Mine has been up on blocks for three years now with a near full tank. Or whatever is left after running it for an hour every three or four months. Of course, its got Stabil in it.
Since you have been starting your and you had Stabil in it you should be ok.

The gas tank can accumulate rust while sitting, even though you have been running it. Start driving and the rust or other junk on the bottom of the tank will get stirred up. Make sure you have one or two fuel filters for your first trip with it. You probably should change after driving 100 miles or so. And again after 300-500 miles.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Alpine36's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Hoodsport Wa
Posts: 2,108
Some good suggestions so far, but here's the easy way.
Locate and remove the frame mounted fuel filter. You're going to want to replace it anyhow. Using a length of 5/16" fuel line, slip it over the fuel filter inlet line. (the one going to the tank) It will be a snug fit, but doable.
Under the hood locate the fuel pump relay. There should be a female spade pigtail coming off the wire harness. (purple wire I think)
Put the 5/16" fuel line in your first of many 5 gallon fuel jugs.
Jumper wire the fuel pump connector to positive battery terminal.
The fuel pump will not continue to run with just the ign key on, you must jumper wire it, key does not need to be on at all.
When the fuel can nears full, disconnect jumper wire. Repeat.
Pro tip, borrow as many five gallon cans as you can and promise to bring them back full lol
__________________
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
You can't just stick a hose down these tanks. Trying to do so damages the anti-siphon tube and can cause fuel to leak when the tank is full.

Second. If you are going to give advice on him starting his motor with 5-year-old gas, make sure and text him your credit card number in case it damages his fuel injection, or worse, his engine.

And that gas is not perfectly good.
Mine is a '02...no anti-siphon. Doubt his does either but takes but a moment to test for it.

My advice is always great...but comes with no guarantees.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,378
Farmers always love free gas and so do lawn people.. don't even try to store 80 gallons.. just too dangerous..

I would add octane boost and run it..
But if you are going to drain it.. I would use gen line.. disconnect before gen f/p and suck out with vac pump.. they are cheap and non electric.. use all safety precautions.. that should get you down to 1/2 or 1/4 tank

Or.. if you look at main tank.. it was made at different vendors and the tank is made for right hand fill or left hand fill.. they just cap off the non used side.. pry the cap off gently.. you will re use it.. and suck all out.. then use some RTV. Sealer around cap and replace..

Stop a yard man or farmers and see if they will loan you cans.. because at 25.00 for 5 gallons gas can.. you are going to need 16 cans and very few people need 16ea 5gal cans lying around..
Good luck and keep us posted
__________________
2000 southwind storm, workhorse custom chassis with 7.4l vortec
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,777
Wish I were close to the OP,,, I'd help him get the old gas out then use it in my vehicles.

Not giving advice, the OP needs to decide for himself,, but I wouldn't hesitate using the old gas.
__________________
03 Itasca Sunova, Workhorse P32 with the 8.1 and 4L85-E
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:16 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 294
If your Workhorse is like mine, you can drain 3/4 of the tank my disconnecting the hose that feeds the generator. It is a slow process but doable. As stated earlier, running the fuel pump is probably the best way to get all of the gas out.

If you had Stabil in your gas when you stored it, you should be okay to just use it. This is based on my personal experience. Adding Stabil now will not improve the gas (per Stabil's website).

My experience with Stabil >>>
__________________
'06 Winnebago Voyage 33', W20, 8.1L
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel, gas, tank



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old gasoline in tank WriteOn Class A Motorhome Discussions 48 06-26-2018 11:02 AM
Any gasoline coaches with gasoline generators? Mainecoons MH-General Discussions & Problems 20 04-16-2017 08:27 AM
Removal of Gasoline from Fuel Tank using Fuel Pump? Rocco42 Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 13 01-18-2016 01:27 PM
Workhorse w22 fuel system gasoline tank assembly recall Tom N Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 5 09-08-2010 05:37 PM
Gasoline seeping at the fuel tank JucenBrudi Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 12 06-17-2010 07:10 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.