Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #1

Ongoing Support from Navistar / Workhorse?

Good Morning

I've searched all the threads I can find regarding the demise of Workhorse and can't find an answer. I know that many if not most of the components of our W-22 chassis were manufactured by companies other than Workhorse. My question is this, will Navistar / Workhorse be providing ongoing telephone or some kind of support when we have a breakdown to help us find the replacement parts we need? I know legally they have to have parts available for a certain period of time, but I'm wondering if they actually have a plan to give us some kind of support and help. Ed and Driver have been fantastic ambassadors in the past, but we can't plan on them keeping that up forever. By the way, thanks to you both and everyone else that has supported this site so diligently.

Jack
jfwandrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Don't hold your breath... Navistar/Workhorse will only provide minimum support if any as there is NO ROI.

As for Ed and Mike... They can only do some much and I suspect that with the demise of Workhorse their sources are now working for other companies or no longer with Workhorse.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Keep in mind that both Brazel's RV Performance and Redlands Truck & RV Performance can be of assistance as well if you have issues on the road. We can locate parts and help troubleshoot issues that you may have and we aren't going anywhere!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
paz

When looking for a Workhorse Service Center to replace a broken exhaust manifold bolt recently, I saw that a number of International Truck dealers are now listed as Workhorse Service Centers. I was glad to see there are a few new options for service. Now, if they can only get parts...
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
When looking for a Workhorse Service Center to replace a broken exhaust manifold bolt recently, I saw that a number of International Truck dealers are now listed as Workhorse Service Centers. I was glad to see there are a few new options for service. Now, if they can only get parts...
They might be listed as a Workhorse Service Center... But, bet that there isn't anyone trained on the various Workhorse chassis's.

Parts.... Some Time Parts aka Uptime Parts may have some stock but hang on to your wallet and be prepared to wait.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
They might be listed as a Workhorse Service Center... But, bet that there isn't anyone trained on the various Workhorse chassis's.

Parts.... Some Time Parts aka Uptime Parts may have some stock but hang on to your wallet and be prepared to wait.
I would have question these statements.
What is there that would make a Workhorse chassis unique from any other truck chassis that would warrent a specially trained mechanic?

Like the old P30 GM chassis that havent been in production for years,the parts are redily available and there is no exorbitant pricing, and mechanics still know how to work on them.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

I think az bound hit the nail on the head. This isn't rocket science. I've got a local truck shop that has easily handled the few things that have gone wrong with my UFO chassis. Talk about a little flea on the Workhorse dog. So even with my small volume chassis I haven't had a problem with parts or experience. We enjoy our motorhome and expect to deal with problems when they come up. Welcome to life.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge View Post
I think az bound hit the nail on the head. This isn't rocket science. I've got a local truck shop that has easily handled the few things that have gone wrong with my UFO chassis. Talk about a little flea on the Workhorse dog. So even with my small volume chassis I haven't had a problem with parts or experience. We enjoy our motorhome and expect to deal with problems when they come up. Welcome to life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I would have question these statements.
What is there that would make a Workhorse chassis unique from any other truck chassis that would warrent a specially trained mechanic?

Like the old P30 GM chassis that havent been in production for years,the parts are redily available and there is no exorbitant pricing, and mechanics still know how to work on them.
My point is that Workhorse at one time had classes on the various Workhorse chassis's to become a "Certified Workhorse Service Center" along with a supply of parts.

Agreed that most if not all the parts that Workhorse "hung" on the rails were OEM parts and more than likely can be purchased else where other than Workhorse if you know the OEM part #. Yes, it is basically a truck chassis and most any competent mechanic should be able to repair it.

Price a set of rotors for a W22 and P30 from Uptime Parts or a set of 66 mm Calipers. If you remember back when the brake debacle was going on you couldn't get most of what you needed from Workhorse and if you did it cost an arm & leg for shipping. I spent many hours finding a source for rebuilt calipers and new rotors that were reasonably priced.

The next time your in an auto parts store ask for a brake rotor for a P30 or 32 and report back. You may get the same look if you good to a GM dealer.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
Keep in mind that both Brazel's RV Performance and Redlands Truck & RV Performance can be of assistance as well if you have issues on the road. We can locate parts and help troubleshoot issues that you may have and we aren't going anywhere!
Hi Jon

How much advance notice do you need for an alignment appointment? We will be passing thru your area about August 15 to 22 but not sure until we get closer. My UFO is starting to cup the front tires.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you can let us know about a week out that would be great!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dont know why anyone would go to Workhorse for parts for a P30, they never made one.
Bosh makes the calipers not Workhorse.
GM truck parts centers and NAPA truck parts can get any parts needed.
If there is no more Workhorse there is no need for certification.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Dont know why anyone would go to Workhorse for parts for a P30, they never made one.....
Harold, that is technically correct, because there never was a P30 , ........ but WCC made their version of the GM P32 chassis design from WCC's inception in 1999 until they "sunset" the product in 2005. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz
When my engine blew, I was happy to see the biggest International dealer in CO was a WH authorized repair shop. They declined my business of R&R my engine saying they had never worked on a MH, much less changed an engine.
When I told him they were a WH authorized svc cntr, he said he knew but "didn't know how that was going to work out".
That'd be great for us if they were interested, but they may not need to
work in living rooms.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #14

Jon

Thank you very much for your ongoing support. I wish I lived a lot closer to you and you would definitely get my full time support. (I'm in Minneapolis) Hopefully our local service centers will be able to continue supporting us so that we won't have to be a nuisance to your operation. It is great to know you'll be there if we need you.

Jack
jfwandrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navistar, workhorse