Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

P30/32 Green and Grey Switch Replacement

Just to update you on my replacement of the rotten grey and green switches.

A couple or three years ago on our maiden voyage to the Grand Canyon on a side trip had a "Near Death Valley" experience. Managed to get back to a generous motors dealer and had the grey switch replaced at great co$t.
Not having much confidence in the J71 APB system was considering ripping the whole thing out and putting in a manual lever. Mine just has the yellow button.
Having investigating the pros/cons (legal), decided to put in Brazel's switches. Though some say they are pricey, I can attest that they were cheaper than the one grey switch that was replaced at the dealer besides the loss of a better part of the day.
I have a breakdown of the switches that are in pdf format but for some reason can't import into this message. Any suggestions? The manage attachment button shows that pdf is a valid format

Some of the features are: machined brass main body, hydraulic ram design with stainless steel ram, nitrile rubber o rings. These weigh in at 8oz each compared to the RGS at 2oz.

Soon to come a replacement of the aluminum adapter to the pump and a 75amp pump relay.
To date have over 8K miles on them and soon going to TX to escape the deep freeze up here.
The only consideration I got was free shipping which they offer now n then to everyone.
Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$18.28 for the Gray
ACDelco 10218778 OE Service Idle Speed Control Power Steering Press Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive

$28.46 for the green
Amazon.com: ACDelco 15961566 Switch Assembly: Automotive

I carry spares but still have the original ones in, 8 years and no problems yet, But I know I could have problems with it tomorrow.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #3

Vs. $360 for the two Brazel's switches... https://www.brazelsrv.com/ultrastop-...ch-upgrade-kit These are undoubtedly much higher quality, and don't have the advantage of higher volume pricing. Good for Brazel's for going to the trouble of developing the switches, but I'm gonna stay with the RGS versions and carry spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
$18.28 for the Gray
ACDelco 10218778 OE Service Idle Speed Control Power Steering Press Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive

$28.46 for the green

I carry spares but still have the original ones in, 8 years and no problems yet, But I know I could have problems with it tomorrow.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
$18.28 for the Gray

$28.46 for the green

I carry spares but still have the original ones in with 8 years and no problems yet, But I know I could have problems with it tomorrow.
Yep, I carry spares and have eleven years on my originals. I have also changed the fluid twice now. This spring I'll proactively swap the switches out. I used to worry and now Roger has helped me understand my system to the point that I know that an overprice switch is not going to prevent every possible failure in the J71 system. Your J71 system could still have a failure based upon other components.

Brazel's is free to charge $360 for their switches. It's what ever the market will bear. Also it's what ever the profit margin is that Brazel's needs to stay in business.

We had a fellow J71 APB RV'er whom claimed he had a solution and was an engineer to boot. Never heard back from him -- kinda figure he was full of hot air!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #5

All I can say is to each their own.
My bad dream was to have the APB engage at speed. Tho some have experienced this, very few have spoken of this mode of failure and how the coach handles.
I've seen those dually skid marks where the big boys lock up when they loose air, don't want that to happen to me.

For sure can't guard against all modes of failure in any system of the rig including the J71. But the RGS is the most likely.

Roger aka OUB was very helpful in providing me info on the J71 but I just don't want to be slithering under the coach to do an emergency repair on the side of a busy road.

Like I intimated in post#1, it cost me more than Brazel's offering.

Wish I could load up the pdf file to show what the new switches look like. The attach files dialog box says that pdf are acceptable but will no let me do so.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

parking brake

I'm always hesitant to make "for damned sure" statements, as they are often challenged by someone claiming otherwise. BUT - - To date, with several hundreds of "AutoPark happenings" under the belt, we have never confirmed a true wheel sliding lockup of the J71 system at highway speeds. Lots of applied parking brakes, but no lockups.

Remember, that the auto apply J71 uses a relatively puny single drum on the driveline. Those impressive tire marks we see all the time on the pavement are made by locked up SERVICE BRAKES on OTR trucks. We're talking about several BIG brake drums and BIG air operated actuators.

On RV's, in every case we've been able to document, the engine and or inertia of the coach has been able to overwhelm the parking brake at whatever speed. Thus, we've seen grillions of worn down or cooked shoes, but no confirmed "locked up with sliding wheels" types of events. Maybe they are out there, but we have never confirmed one case.

A scenario I've thought about, but never heard of, might be driving on serious ice, and having the brake lock up. That COULD have the rear wheels locked and sliding - - but nobody has ever reported that to us.

We HAVE heard of serious fires started by an applied parking brake at hiway speeds. So it IS a potential danger for sure. We are not trying to discount any level of danger, but would suggest that you should not need to live in white-knuckle fear of your coach fishtailing down the hiway with a locked up J71.

We DO NOT have any substantial history on lockups with the J72. It is a considerably more substantial DISK BRAKE though, and perhaps could lock up the rear wheels - - Just don't know one way or the other.

So - - If you are locked up in a toll booth, with the Highway Patrol threatening serious jail time or worse, you can probably put her in lo range and floorboard her - - overcoming the parking brake long enough to get out of the lane you are blocking. Depending on how far and how fast you drive, you may still cook the shoes and at the least, let yourself in for a shoe adjustment. We DO NOT recommend that method - - It probably makes a lot more sense to disconnect the parking brake - - or perhaps call a tow truck.

Any lockup is bad, but I'm not looking to start a contest here. As always, we suggest you learn about your autopark, carry a few spares and tools.

oub
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the clarification Roger. In my case, instead of a toll booth it was the customs inspection booth crossing the border and received some remarks about liking it there. Put her in lo and goosed her out of there in a cloud of smoke.

Steve
Old 01-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you build and install OUB s 3 light genie you will have plenty of warning when your green, gray or brown switch starts seeping. I believe even a rupture one of the lights will come on indicating the pump is running to try to keep up, should be at least enough warning to get to the side of the road.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We agree that a warning system can be added and extra switches can be carried and that will work for some folks. What we have come up with is a switch kit that eliminates having to do either PLUS it won't put you in the situation of roadside repairs, which as OUB alluded to can end up making matters worse (stripping out the hex bushing). Our alternative kit will include a new hex bushing that is hand milled and a new 70 amp relay to eliminate any installation woes. Yes, we do charge considerably more than the hecho en Mexico switches but for the difference in quality, time and worry spent on those switches we felt it was a product that people would really benefit from. Unfortunately, because of the niche market, volume in which these are produced and difference in materials used, there is no way to come close to what the standard switches are sold for. We hope that people don't see this product as a way to take advantage of people that are having problems with their auto park brake, because that is the furthest thing from the truth. I think we've been around here long enough to prove that we are here to help people, even if we are not selling a product or service...we just truly love what we do and try to share our experience and offer products that either we really believe in or have come up with in house because no one else did it and RVer's would benefit from it, while continuing to keep our doors open and providing for our families.

Sorry for the long winded post...we appreciate all the business and awesome people we get to talk to and meet because of iRV2, thank you so much.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Previous coach was had the APB. I carried spares and replaced a switch or two over time. They lasted years. I would not buy the high priced switches.

The brake if applied while in motion will not lock up the coach. It does not have that much stopping power. My coach was towed by a [idiot] tow truck driver who did not remove the driveshaft. So with the brake applied made smoke but he readily towed it... The tow company also paid for the subsequent APB damage...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #11

Your business has a great reputation. No disrespect intended in my earlier post about autopark switch cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
.... I think we've been around here long enough to prove that we are here to help people, even if we are not selling a product or service...we just truly love what we do and try to share our experience and offer products that either we really believe in or have come up with in house because no one else did it and RVer's would benefit from it, while continuing to keep our doors open and providing for our families....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #12

Jon and others, thanks for your input. The only time that I got taken was when the dealer charged me over $400. At the time, being a greenhorn and new to the P32 chassis and far far away from home, what did I know?

Anyways, I can't seem to be able to upload either the ipg or the pdf file of the new switch so Jon, if you could do so I think others will see the quality of your switches. I much prefer to ride and enjoy the trip and not worry when/if the J71 should fail.

The suggestion of installing the Genie warning lamps is good as well since the panel lights are really too dim to see anything in bright sunlight.

Happy Trails

Steve
Old 01-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by is.chowa View Post
Anyways, I can't seem to be able to upload either the ipg or the pdf file of the new switch so Jon, if you could do so I think others will see the quality of your switches.
Here it is....
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #14

Thanks Jon.
In the picture of the switch it is quite evident the complete redesign of the switch assembly that I attempted to describe. This is the reason I am so enthused about this product. The nitrile O ring seal can be just seen below the round brass piece and the spring on the stainless steel piston.

Also in the US22 add on the steel replacement bushing for the aluminum OEM part which its threads can be readily stripped if not carefully reinstalled or overtightened further improves the original design. The 75 amp pump relay replaces the 50 amp one found in older P32 chassis.

BTW, I have a slightly used green and grey switch that I can send to anyone who wants them for free, you only pay for the postage. So PM me if you want them.

Steve

Tags
p30, replace, replacement