Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
P30 Max RPM

Hello all, I have been looking and looking and can not find out the max RMP for my 1990 Hawkins MH with a 4 barrel carb and 454. I know that when I put my foot into it it will shift at 3200 rpm for first gear into second, and 3300 rpm for second gear into third. The MH runs at 3100 rpm at 65 mph, the reason I am asking this is I need to know if I am driving to fast for the engine, I have had it up to 70 mph once while passing but prefer 60-65 mph. I am assuming that the trans is the one shifting early. Thanks for the help, again I am just making sure that I am not hurting the engine going 65 mph.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #2

You might want to hook up another tach to check yours. 3100 at 65 sounds high.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #3

Sounds about right to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
Hello all, I have been looking and looking and can not find out the max RMP for my 1990 Hawkins MH with a 4 barrel carb and 454. I know that when I put my foot into it it will shift at 3200 rpm for first gear into second, and 3300 rpm for second gear into third. The MH runs at 3100 rpm at 65 mph, the reason I am asking this is I need to know if I am driving to fast for the engine, I have had it up to 70 mph once while passing but prefer 60-65 mph. I am assuming that the trans is the one shifting early. Thanks for the help, again I am just making sure that I am not hurting the engine going 65 mph.
I have had Chevy's with 3:36 gears in my cars and 60 MPH equaled 2500 in fourth gear. 70 MPH in fourth was around 3K. Your RPM seems about right to me. You should be able to max out at least 5K.
HTH,
me.
RonLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 454 will turn about 5K RPM if in good condition. The Rpm you are talking about is not out of line but I would think it should have a little higher shift points on detent. My question to you is (Will it down shift when you floor the throutle at 60 MPH.)
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
The 454 will turn about 5K RPM if in good condition. The Rpm you are talking about is not out of line but I would think it should have a little higher shift points on detent. My question to you is (Will it down shift when you floor the throutle at 60 MPH.)
This is a good question, when driving it yesterday to were I store it was floored and those were my shift points. I have never had it up passed 70 and that was on a one time passing deal and to fast for me. As long as 3k is not too much RPM for the old motor I am happy. Thank you for the responses.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not exactly on topic but something I saved from the owners manual for a P30 with 454 engine I used to have. It might be of use.

When Using Transmission to Brake.
Maximum Speed in First Gear is 30 MPH.
Maximum Speed in Second Gear is 40 MPH.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The TH400 transmission has an electric detent for passing gear. There may be an issue in this area. On some units the switch is by the gas pedal and on otheres it's by the carb.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
The TH400 transmission has an electric detent for passing gear. There may be an issue in this area. On some units the switch is by the gas pedal and on otheres it's by the carb.
Just to clarify there is no such thing as passing gear (in any auto trans). The transmission will merely downshift into 2nd or 1st (this transmission is a 3 speed) for forced downshifts.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy

Whats your hurry 60-65-70. I have never been above 60 since I have had the MH. I have a P30 with the 454 also. I used to do 65-70 in my Semi, would never think of doing it in the MH.
Just me I guess, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Mine has areal sweet spot at 60 to 65. Barely touching the gas pedal. Don't have a tach so not sure what I'm turning. 90 SuperChief.
Robertandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Whats your hurry 60-65-70. I have never been above 60 since I have had the MH. I have a P30 with the 454 also. I used to do 65-70 in my Semi, would never think of doing it in the MH.
Just me I guess, Tim
I prefer 62 mph, at that speed I was getting 7.25 mph and that was the drive home. Now with new fluids, plugs, wires, and seems like a hundred feet of vacuum line, it is running much better. I was just making sure that 65 mph was not too fast and that was 3100 rpm was ok for the engine. I am not a fast driver, and did not buy a MH to drag race, I just want to know the limits so I don't push them. The engine only has 70K on it and feels really strong, I want to take care it and that was the basis of my question. Thank you all for the input.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I prefer 62 mph, at that speed I was getting 7.25 mph and that was the drive home. Now with new fluids, plugs, wires, and seems like a hundred feet of vacuum line, it is running much better. I was just making sure that 65 mph was not too fast and that was 3100 rpm was ok for the engine. I am not a fast driver, and did not buy a MH to drag race, I just want to know the limits so I don't push them. The engine only has 70K on it and feels really strong, I want to take care it and that was the basis of my question. Thank you all for the input.
"and did not buy a MH to drag race" very funny, thanks. Thats one thing I miss and its a tach maybe I could install one. I c you have a 1990 sweet any more pictures? I love the older mh ours is just under 50,000 miles now, had just over 44,000 when we bought her.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #13

On my 1994 454 engine I typically cruise in the low 2000 rpm range and climb mountains at 3200 rpm geared down - which is the "sweet spot" where the torque and hp curves cross. On tough mountain climbs I allow the rpm up over 4,000 rpm if necessary at times. I cruise at maybe 55 mph when wanting to eat up the miles and perhaps 60 when in a racing mood. And much slower when road conditions / traffic etc allow it.

My understanding is that these 454 engines are used in power boat cruisers and they run them up in the 4,000 to 5,000 rpm range all day. When I learned that I was far less concerned about running my engine at 3,500 to 4,500 for a while climbing mountains. But I do back off the throttle every now and then on a climb and do not run it flat out all the way to the top.
keepmovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I have a M.H. with a 454 engine in it but it did not come with a tack. so I installed one and I toe a small Saturn no mater where we go.
I try not to go over 55 as thats the law in California.
I do go over that speed going down hill or when I am making a run on a steep hill.
I don't know how I ever got along with out a tack.
I make a rule not to go over 4,000 R.P.M. up a hill so if I am going up a steep hill say a 6% or 7% grade I just keep the engine around 4,000 R.P.M. and let the transmission do it job.
Most of the time before I get to the summit I would be going around 32 miles an hour in first gear.
I have had this 36' long 1997 M.H. for about 15 years now I do my own maintains every 3,000 miles.
It has 83,000 miles on it at this point in time.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p30