Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 09:03 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
p32 8.1 erratic fuel gauge

My fuel gauge is inconsistent. When I first turn the ignition to ON, the gauge either snaps to 0 and floats to correct reading, or snaps to about 1/3 full and then floats to pegged at top (assuming the tank is has plenty of fuel). 3 times out of 4 it pegs. If it pegs, I can turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds and then back ON again for another chance.

If it pegs, it seems to be reporting actual + 1/2 tank or so, so as I get low on fuel, it will decline to FULL and below.If it doesn't peg, then it seems to be accurate until I shut off the engine again.

Pegging indicates an open or high R in the sender line, but it's strange it doesn't always do it, and makes its choice at startup. And more mysterious, the "information message" in the speedometer area seems to report the correct miles-to-empty in any event, so I've started using that instead of the gas gauge. I'm guessing a bad contact on a relay somewhere. Anyone have any ideas??

(NB: I've had rats chew through engine computer wiring twice. So could be something I missed in there.)
jorygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

It is quite possible it is the gauge stepper motor itself. To isolate the gauge from the sender, you can run the gauge diagnostic test to see if it sweeps properly. Hold the “mode” button down for approx 10 seconds and release, you will enter a new menu. Using the trip button to scroll down go to cluster diagnostics and leave that highlighted, it will proceed to a new menu. Scroll down to gauge test and leave it highlighted. It will initiate a self test of each gauge, when it gets to the fuel gauge and it still is acting erratic, you need a new stepper motor. We do this repair so if needed, just contact us.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #3

If you have an OBDII scanner or smart gauge chances are you can read of the raw sensor value and this will help tell if the problem is in the sender or the gauge console.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holy smoke! Had no idea this 2005 unit was so smart! And you nailed it. When I do the test function, at 0 the guage points to 1/3; at 50% it's at Full; and at 100% it's pegged. Will send a PM about how to proceed.
jorygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:57 AM   #5

Whats worse, erratic gauge or trip computer saying I have 500+ miles to empty when gauge is saying 1/4 ??

Gauge of course was correct, trip computer just plain STUPID, but at least it got the Covid-19 vaccine !!!!

Tags
fuel, p32