Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #1

Hi,
Just "limped home" so to speak. The auto park light came on and stayed
on. I checked fluid level which was normal and decided to make a go
for home (200 miles) from where we were. Made it 88 miles and then the
burning smell of brake and tranny fluid from the auto apply parking brake
hitting the exhaust. Since I was on a busy highway and it was dark out,
I cut the cable(yes, after chocking the wheels) to the parking brake drum It freed
up the brake so I was able to drive home. The worst thing was the
stench that lingered from the smell of toasted brake and fluid.
Has anyone had the same problem and could you tell me what the
repair was for? ie. pressure switch etc..?
I took the panel off the hydraulic assembly today and could
not tell where the atf fluid had leaked
out from. The fluid was everywhere, including on the toad
Thanks,
Bob
99' Adventurer 32T p32 chassis
BobbKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #2

Hi,
Just "limped home" so to speak. The auto park light came on and stayed
on. I checked fluid level which was normal and decided to make a go
for home (200 miles) from where we were. Made it 88 miles and then the
burning smell of brake and tranny fluid from the auto apply parking brake
hitting the exhaust. Since I was on a busy highway and it was dark out,
I cut the cable(yes, after chocking the wheels) to the parking brake drum It freed
up the brake so I was able to drive home. The worst thing was the
stench that lingered from the smell of toasted brake and fluid.
Has anyone had the same problem and could you tell me what the
repair was for? ie. pressure switch etc..?
I took the panel off the hydraulic assembly today and could
not tell where the atf fluid had leaked
out from. The fluid was everywhere, including on the toad
Thanks,
Bob
99' Adventurer 32T p32 chassis
Old 05-08-2005, 02:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
BOB, Welcome to irv2

I had a 88 GB that had your type braking sys. The fluid escaped out of a 1" hose that was chaffing on the chassis frame. I found out after happening twice if you don't put it in Park, brake will not engage drive shaft. Second time was able to drive to rest area without burning up brake shoe. Both times had to replace 1" hose, second time, I replaced it myself an placed protective sleeve over hose where it was hitting frame. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #4

Thank you for the welcome
All hydraulic lines for this system are enclosed in a sturdy metal enclosure.
What is throwing me off is there was no evidence of a leak beforehand and the fluid level when the light was staying on was still where it always has been.
I dug out the service manual and traced out and tested the relays which are all working.
I guess I will start replacing the pressure controlled switches one at a time tomorrow when the GM parts counter opens. The only bad thing is, it is a 30 min drive to get to the nearest Chevy dealer that handles p32 parts.
I am going to guess it is either the pump switch or the sol. valve assm.
I checked NAPA and they could not find the items.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe your valves an switches are working ok an there holding back oil from draining the reserve tank, they give you alarm because a hose fitting failed thus looseing pressure in sys. You did say oil was all over the car. It had to come from some place. ---"007"
Old 05-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #6

Yes, I will fill the tank with fluid tomorrow morn., before I hit the dealer, and fire it up and see if It will spray any fluid out. I had been wondering if it was the pump switch since there seemed to be more fluid around that area than around any of the hydraulic connections which appear to be dry.
Thanks for the help
Old 05-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #7

I ran it this morning and the pump was pushing fluid through the pump/pressure switch. Enough to push the electrical connector 3/4 out of the socket. I had a feeling that switch was the culprit
Doing more searches on the subject, it turns out that this system ( the years between, I believe, 1994 and 1999)has given people more headaches. It is amazing that there have not been more accidents.
Bob
Old 05-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your the third one with an electrical problem this pass week, something else we have to check.
I know what you felt like when looseing brakes, gets pretty hairie that must be where mine has gone. ---"007"
Old 05-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #9

Same here on the hair issue, but then it saves on shampoo

If there is anything I can be thankful about this, it's that they didn't use brake fluid for the hydraulic fluid in this system. If they had the poor toad would be needing a paint job
Old 05-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #10

BobbKatt,

That preasure switch has been know to fail and cause that problem. Once you contact the closest WCC service center they should be able to get things taken care of. You may want to fill them in as much as possible with what you know ahead of time... that way they can try to make sure they have what ever parts you need before you get there.... The switch shouldn't be problem, but the cable that was cut may be a different story...

Erik

They may have even made some improvements to the switch in attempts to keep it from happening again....

W22 Workhorse Chassis
Erik S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #11

And not cheap either. I ordered the switch online for 33 (dealer wanted 65) and am going to the dealer tomorrow for the cable which is 76 bucks. I have to take the drum off which I am in the process of doing if I can get that rear drive shaft section off of the splined/yoke in the center.
I hope they are better. Apparantly a couple of people on other forums have sent letters to the National Highway Traffic Admin. and I might do the same, not that it will do any good. It may be time to sell and move up into a coach that is a few years younger
At any rate I am sure glad I grew up playing with cars during High School and College Parts are bigger and heavier on the trucks but most things operate the same.
I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. as should anyone who has had problems with this system. Contact info as follows:
In addition to reporting problems with( auto park brakes )TO NHTSA BY E-MAIL at www.nhtsa.dot.gov , call toll free 1-888-327-4236 or fax it to 202-366-7882 or in writing to U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSSPORTATION,NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION, NSA-10.01, 400 7th STREET, SW, WASHINGTON, DC 20590 HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP TO GET MORE COMPLAINTS TO NHTSA.

Thaink you to all who responded to my post
Bob