Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2023, 06:55 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
P32 Radiator Hoses

Having some trouble sourcing the correct radiator hoses for my 2005 Itasca 8.1L P32.

In doing due diligence archive and internet searches before I started, it seemed this would be a basic exercise to order any one of a selection of manufacturers and sources and check the box. That has proven not to be the case.

First order check was Oemy's cross reference site. Having the original GM part numbers taken from the hoses I removed, I saw the numbers there crossed. My first attempt from Rock Auto with Gates brand hoses was a bust. The top hose was too long and the bottom hose wasn't even close to the same. The heater bypass hose was an exact match.

Went to the local NAPA store. Same story - top hose too long, bottom hose was 'close' but too short at the radiator end.

Figured there was something "special" about the Workhorse part. I ordered a set from UltraRV, they confirm fit via VIN. The bottom hose was a match, but the top hose is too long. I keep thinking that there's something up with my P32, like it had a different radiator in it or something but the old hose is marked with the GM number, and it's the same number that crosses to all the wrong hoses I've gotten. Something's not adding up. Maybe now it's a "multi-fit" part and intended to fit a range of applications, but in this case no matter how I twist or tweak, it's too long and kinks.

So, posting here to see if anyone has any insight or possible options. Plan is to cut a section out of the Gates hose and use a splice but would rather have an intact hose, if one exists.

Photo shows the Gates hose on top, Workhorse hose in the middle, hose removed on the bottom.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoser.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	388278  
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2023, 08:40 AM   #2

The numbers I have are
Upper Hose
Workhorse W0000218
Gates 23803
Lower Hose
Workhorse W0000219
Gates 21442

I know several years ago I ran into the same situation as you’re in now but can’t remember which hose didn’t fit. I’m thinking the upper as you have found.
Hopefully someone has the correct numbers.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Right. If you zoom in on the photo you'll see the Gates number on the top hose. The Gates hose I got for the bottom wasn't even close. Typing the GM numbers right off the old hoses comes up with matches from various suppliers and even show the right year of P32, but they don't match the old hoses. Something has gotten lost in the translation.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 03-16-2023, 08:19 PM   #4

Don't forget the by-pass hose.

You could take the old hoses (upper & lower) to NAPA and compare them up to hoses they have.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Went to the local NAPA store. Same story - top hose too long, bottom hose was 'close' but too short at the radiator end.
They come up with a cross, but it doesn't match.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 03-17-2023, 07:05 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you considered something like THIS FLEXIBLE HOSE?

As far as I know they flexible hoses from reputable manufactures are just as reliable as the preformed hoses.

Gates makes 'em in lots of diameters and lengths.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:15 AM   #7

Hard to believe know one else has encountered this same problem.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, which points to something different about my RV but I'm not sure what. Would be something along the line of a different radiator and a custom hose but the correct GM number is stamped on the hose. It all looks original, not like anyone has futzed with it since it was built.

Turning lemons into lemonade, I ordered a hose splice to shorten the hose that has a 1/8NTP fitting for a temperature sensor. I'm guessing hose coolant temperature isn't the same as block temperature but might be useful to be able to watch. My dash temp gauge has been inop for a few years now and I've been using OBD, maybe with this I can go with just watching a gauge again.

So I guess either this problem is unique to me, or there are very few folks working on P32's anymore to care.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 03-20-2023, 10:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had a problem like this with my 60 Corvette, I took the old hose to Napa and they matched is up against a number of hoses until they found the right one. That was 40 years ago so maybe nobody offers that kind of service anymore.

I found out why the "right" one wouldn't fit when it was discovered that someone had moved the top fitting on the tank.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:09 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I took the old hose to Napa and they matched is up against a number of hoses until they found the right one.
I did go to NAPA. Twice. They don't have it. Ultra RV was a bust. Maybe it exists out there somewhere crossed to a different number but it doesn't cross to the GM and WH numbers I have, and I'm not buying any more to figure it out. My post here was a sanity check to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Maybe as time goes someone with a solution will see this thread and update it. Odds are I will never have to change this hose again so I'm putting it behind me.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 03-24-2023, 12:45 AM   #11

One can also go to an exhaust shop and have some sized similar pipe (same inner diameter as hose) bent for the (1 or 2) sections that are straight then just cut to size the end pieces.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:16 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even simpler than that. Photo of the splice below, available in a range of sizes on each end and offers a 1/8" NPT for a temperature sensor if you want.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Attached Images

Tags
hose, p32, radiator