Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Parking Brake

So I purchased a new to me 2005 GS Sunvoyager with a W22 Workhorse chassis. I drove it home and felt as is I really had to push harder than I thought it should to stop the RV. So this past week while I was changing the tires, I looked at the brake pads. Both front and rear were fine and actually looked new. So I just chalked it up to its a 26k# RV and it takes that much to stop it.

Then I remembered when I wanted to look into the "Autopark" system. I don't have a yellow knob, and I hear the pump running when I push the brake pedal. I have tried to check the level of the fluid, but with only a 1/2" to 3/4" to remove the cap and fill it felt as if it has fluid in it. The reason I wanted to look into this is, it doesn't seem to be working. I hear the pump when I press down on the pedal, but as soon as I lift up on the pedal I can tell the brakes release. I thought this was suppost to hold the brakes until the ignition was turned on. Of course I could be wrong. The brake lights on the cluster seem to be working fine, only come on when I engage the Emergency Brake.
Chkysbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
W-22 should have a foot pedal operated parking brake, (Manual) NOT an Auto Park.... With the engine off you will hear a pump run when you press the service brakes due to the fact that the braking system is HYDRO BOOST, if the engine is running then power steering fluid is being pumped by said engine and a flow switch cuts off the electric pump.

But you should not have auto park on a W-11

You should have a drive shaft parking brake operated by a foot pedal.

Though, there may be exceptions.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #3

Thanks, I read that in the service manual after I just downloaded it from this website. Great information!!

So I have a manual E-brake just like in cars with a pull lever release. When I am pressing the brake pedal its just like power brakes just in case the I have engine problems and need to stop. Correct?
Chkysbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkysbak View Post
Thanks, I read that in the service manual after I just downloaded it from this website. Great information!!

So I have a manual E-brake just like in cars with a pull lever release. When I am pressing the brake pedal its just like power brakes just in case the I have engine problems and need to stop. Correct?
Any time you step on the service brake pedal without the motor running, you will activate an electric motor that provides pressure to help maintain your "power-assisted" brakes. It is a fail safe in case you lose engine power while underway and need to stop quickly.

May I suggest you check out the WCC Owners club- link in my sig.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
W-22 should have a foot pedal operated parking brake, (Manual) NOT an Auto Park.... With the engine off you will hear a pump run when you press the service brakes due to the fact that the braking system is HYDRO BOOST, if the engine is running then power steering fluid is being pumped by said engine and a flow switch cuts off the electric pump.

But you should not have auto park on a W-11

You should have a drive shaft parking brake operated by a foot pedal.

Though, there may be exceptions.
NOPE. You were right the first time, and there are no exceptions to that when speaking about the W20 thru W22 chassis. You do have a typo "W-11" does not exist, unless you cut a W-22 in half.
Ed
Old 01-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Ed,, (yes it was a typo)

That is what I thought the auto park is on the P series (P for Park?)

I have a W so I know about the pedal on the left and the T-bar release.

Kind of like another RVer who's problem I just fixed. So much easier when you have one and have worked on it than just doing research to answer.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Thanks Ed,, (yes it was a typo)

That is what I thought the auto park is on the P series (P for Park?)

I have a W so I know about the pedal on the left and the T-bar release.

Kind of like another RVer who's problem I just fixed. So much easier when you have one and have worked on it than just doing research to answer.
There are also some early W-24/25.5 chassis that have the J72 AAPB.

Tags
brake