RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #1

Performance upgrades

Hello all!

I have a 2008 Fleetwood 34B Fiesta with a Workhorse 8.1 and Allison trans. So far I e been happy with the performance, but recently bought a 24’ enclosed trailer to haul our family dirt bikes and quads, with hope soon to also have a four door Polaris Razor. So what I need help with is some simple performance mods. What I’m thinking first is I need to replace the rusted out mufflers. I’m going to use the large RV Dynomax. So true duals that’s exit in front of both left and right tires. I’d also like to do the Brazel Ultra Power ECM replacement. My concern is I live in California. Can I remove my stock one and replace with the high performance one and then R&R before smog is required? I’m assuming it won’t pass smog with the new modified ECM? Also, does the Banks Cold Air intake system work, meaning add any H.P.? Any other suggestions to help with towing?
Thanks!

brunson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have passed smog 4 times with the Ultra Power Upgrade. I don't know about the exhaust but they do a visual on mine each time.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #3

Why not just call Brazel's and ask them?
Also, yes you could keep your old ECM and just put it in for smog.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #4

I guess I assumed because they can’t sell in California.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had the UP mod for 14 yrs and have passed the smog with margin to spare. The "not legal in CA" must be a newer regulation that would cost Brazels a ton of money to qualify (and re-qualify annually?). It is not because it generates too much pollution to pass comfortably. Maybe you can have it shipped to your uncle in Arizona or Nevada or some place outside CA. Have a chat with Jon Brazel to confirm my suspicion and get his recommendation.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:43 AM   #6

Not sure what that loaded trailer weight will be, but keep an eye on that hitch and check the bolts annually.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/old...ch-488815.html
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:23 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
brunson67-

Along the same lines, according to the 2008 Fiesta brochure (link here):

GVWR: 22,000 pounds
GCWR: 26,000 pounds
Hitch rating: 5,000 pounds
Max. tongue weight: 500 pounds

Sounds as if the coach and trailer will be fully-loaded for family fun, so keep the values above in mind.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others have said, you can find a way to get the UltraRV upgrade shipped to you by some method. It will certainly help your performance. California exhaust sniff tests need never know. If you get it you might need to take the big UltraRv sticker off the new ECM.

I've put cold air induction systems on several vehicles including 2 RV's. When drag racing I could see a very small increase in performance by looking at my time slips. I don't think I could discern a performance increase on the RV's. Certainly not enough to pay for the cost of a commercially developed system like Banks. One thing you will notice for sure with the Banks system is a big increase in intake noise when the throttle is opened.

JMHO
Old 06-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
brunson67-

Along the same lines, according to the 2008 Fiesta brochure (link here):

GVWR: 22,000 pounds
GCWR: 26,000 pounds
Hitch rating: 5,000 pounds
Max. tongue weight: 500 pounds

Sounds as if the coach and trailer will be fully-loaded for family fun, so keep the values above in mind.
So if the GVWR is 22,000 and the GCWR 26,000, does this mean I only have 4000 lbs of towing capacity? I can say the previous owner had the hitch reinforced heavily.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
brunson67-

1) If the coach and its towing appliances are factory original, and
2) The coach is loaded to its GVWR, then

yes, you have 4,000 pounds horizontal towing capacity.

It is a topic of some debate here on iRV2 whether or not it's just fine/OK/legal/approved/sensible/verboten, etc. to load the coach under the GVWR and assign that weight to the max. horizontal towing load. In other words, as

horizontal towing load = GCWR -GVW

then if your coach actually weighs 21,000 pounds

horizontal towing load = 26,000 -21,000 = 5,000 pounds

which is the maximum for the hitch as it comes from the factory.

A few points:

1) Unless you have weighed the coach in loaded condition, you have no idea whether or not it is under, on or over the GVWR
2) Unless you have weighed the trailer in loaded condition and done 1), you have no idea whether or not the combination is under, on or over the GCWR
3) Although not yet discussed, axle loads should be known and kept under manufacturer's ratings- particularly the rear axle when a trailer is concerned
4) You should confirm for yourself that the hitch is suitable for the intended load, if it has been modified.

All that said, it's been my observation (from several years on iRV2) that folks are along a spectrum from "stay within the lines" to "whatever works for me," and decide how to handle these weight questions accordingly.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Official iRV2 Sponsor

We can ship anywhere, we just have to abide by CA emissions laws and advise you to not use our ECM when in CA
Old 06-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wondered about the Illegal in CA statement. It wasn't illegal in CA (I hope) when I had mine installed at a Workhorse Chassis Rally in 1010. Like I said before, I have passed CA smog 4 times now and I am due again this year.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #13

Thanks for all the input everyone! I’ll be posting a separate topic shortly regarding Workhorse wheel simulators.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
CA legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I wondered about the Illegal in CA statement. It wasn't illegal in CA (I hope) when I had mine installed at a Workhorse Chassis Rally in 1010. Like I said before, I have passed CA smog 4 times now and I am due again this year.
I just passed my CA bi-annual smog test last month. So far I haven't had a problem over many years.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade