Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If you were in the RV market TODAY, would you buy another NEW Workhorse chassis motorhome? (The ent
Yes 64 53.33%
No 42 35.00%
Undecided 14 11.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #1

Based on the brake-related problems of specific model year W18, W20 and W22 chassis:
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #2

Based on the brake-related problems of specific model year W18, W20 and W22 chassis:
Old 11-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake specific problem would not be the only reason for me not buying another Workhorse.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

I would love to hear some insight from the owners that said "yes" to "Do you feel that Workhorse has done a good job in addressing the brake related issues?"
Old 11-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
To base the entire poll on Bosch Pin Slide Calipers when everyone in the industry uses them makes this poll unfairly biased on one particular issue.

The need for a recall has not yet been fielded by the NTHSA and we are all waiting for the results from the Engineering Evaluation. One of the contributors to this forum stated that a year has passed since the EA was begun and we should hear something from NTHSA one way or another shortly.

No one here has yet conjectured, "what if" the NTHSA says that there is nothing wrong with the brakes and it's a maintenance issue. On the other hand if there is a campaign and the issue is resolved - either way, Workhorse winds up having good brakes.

This negates the entire poll. Personally I would recommend a "used" Workhorse powered coach if presented with the opportunity to do so and if it met the needs of the prospective buyer.

74,000+ miles and still smiling! How about this offer, Would you buy "my" coach if it were used? I do have a little bit of rust in the coach body by the water closet but I'll fix that over the next month.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 11-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I would love to hear some insight from the owners that said "yes" to "Do you feel that Workhorse has done a good job in addressing the brake related issues?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it's a loaded question that doesn't have an answer. In my opinion, Workhorse is doing the best they can at the moment given the circumstances the way they are and having 2 other equal partners working this issue. The facts are not all in yet.

One thing that I can guarantee you is that this issue will be resolved one way or the other whether its design, engineering, implementation, service or user interaction or omission of service. We're all going to find out the answer together. Regarding the resale or sale of a used MH it all depends on the wholesale KBB price and that's it regardless if you have brakes or not. If there is a campaign on the vehicle they must have the recall completed before the vehicle is sold. The last time I looked there wasn't a big market for used motorhomes at the present time. Go and trade your "no problem" motorhome in for a new one and see how much you get. The wholesale value on motorhomes is disastrous. Now go and try to buy one and see how much they want for one. Bring your check book and co-signer you're gonna need em' both.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DriVer:
"To base the entire poll on Bosch Pin Slide Calipers when everyone in the industry uses them makes this poll unfairly biased on one particular issue."

QUOTE]

I'm not trying to start a fight here but if that statement is true, is everyone else having brake problems and/ or being investigated by the NTSB for brake problems?

My guess is in the end, we are all going to be fending for ourselves, after the warranty is up.
Wh & Bosch will have their lawyers working hard and the feds aren't going to want to risk putting another company out of business.
Just my guess.

And even tho , me and Driver and others have'nt had brake problems yet, the issue is gonna hurt all of our resale values, or what's left of the resale value.
Denver, Colorado
Old 11-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I'm not trying to start a fight here but if that statement is true, is everyone else having brake problems and/ or being investigated by the NTSB for brake problems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, An investigation now on going for over a year in of itself doesn't assign guilt about anything at the moment. I do not believe that the NHTSA would allow a critically dangerous situation to exist if the situation were immediately dangerous to life and health. We do see numerous recalls published in Motorhome Magazine on a monthly basis and yes Workhorse was citied as having to deal with a recall in the latest issue.

This recall must not be of any concern to anyone since it was never even mentioned in this forum that anyone repetitively sunk their teeth into. I believe it was directed at the 18,000 GVW W series.

I do not believe that the government is going to cave on this issue and allow it simply to pass without resolution.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well Driver you , yourself would do well on WH's defense team. You have said you've gone 74,000 miles with no abnormal brake problems and there are probably others. You've said that everyone else is using the same brakes. If this is true, then it seems like the NTSB is going to have trouble figuring out what the problem is and why is it just the WH chassis.
Bosch will likely say, nobody else is having brake problems, especially if this is true.
If there was an easy way to fix this problem, I think WH or Bosch would have already did it.
I'd think that the NTSB would have problems with forcing Bosch and /or WH to recall all these vehicles. And it would cause big problems for Bosch & WH too.
Denver, Colorado
Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did nhtsa only do One test with the wh ch? Maybe im not looking in the right places when I check online but I can only find where they made one test(and it failed). They(nhtsa) then remarked they would like to make more tests but it would be hard to get a wh ch owner to let them lease their ch to make more tests. They should have asked me. Now if that was the only test they did, and I say "IF", and the way I read it, it failed, there should be a recall coming soon. I also have to agree with the other poster when he said ford and wh are using bosch brakes and ford doesnt seem to be having a problem or a nhtsa investigation on their brakes. IMO Safe Travels
Old 11-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>jdsr, I think you are reading too much into a single investigation whereas I am sure that over the course of a year that there must be more research involved that may not be documented in the public domain. Perhaps as you said you may not have found the correct resource. I am sure that the NHTSA would have welcomed your offer to use your motorhome in a test perhaps you just didn't extend the opportunity properly.

Red tape and all that .... have a Happy Thanksgiving jdsr!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I am sure that the NHTSA would have welcomed your offer to use your motorhome is a test perhaps you just didn't extend the opportunity properly.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Have a nice Holiday FRRVer!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We've had quite a few Fords in with cracked rotors and burnt up wheel sensors too...just sayin'...
Closed Thread