Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Possible Burnt Wires Heads Up

My jacks quit working and finally decided to just take it into a shop to have it fixed. They said the wires going to the jacks were burnt out and they had to pretty much fabricate a new harness. They said other wires were damaged but since every thing else is working they did'nt do any more.
They charged me and the extended warranty co. $350 for this and recomended I pay them $171 additional to fabricate a heat shield from the muffler. I declined.
I finally climbed under the rig today. I give them credit for finding the problem but they're work was terribly shotty. They're "fabricated harness" was a 4' section of trailer connection wiring spliced in and just hanging there. No conduit, no nylon ties, not even taped up. I give em credit for finding the problem but $350 sure does'nt get you much.
However they were'nt lying about needing a heat shield, especially the way they fixed it.
I must have 5 or 6 plastic conduits all full of wires running inside the frame channel. The conduits are truly melted and have lost their shape from being so hot but the wires apparently are still working.
The problem is at the muffler where it is only couple of inches from all the wires. I went to Home Depot and bought flashing to make my own heat shield.
I went 5 years without this being a problem but the next time you go under your MH you might want to check yours out. Lots of wires there.
We did drive about 500 miles with what I suspected was another burnt SP wire which turned out to be accurate. I've been told, this causes additional heat so maybe that's why it did it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Max, Have you ever considered running headers instead of the stock exahust manifold? A free flowing exahust system along with free flowing mufflers will help to get rid of alot of the heat you are dealing with.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sammie I'd love to have headers and maybe a Banks system but my CFO (wife) would probably have me commited to a nursing home if I mentioned that now.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Gottcha! I know the feeling well.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Sammie I'd love to have headers and maybe a Banks system but my CFO (wife) would probably have me commited to a nursing home if I mentioned that now.
Max, Running up and down that mountain of yours, I would consider getting a set of Gibson (not chrome) and maybe some free flowing mufflers so that your engine could shed heat like a duck sheds water.

Problem is that a number of manifold bolts are likely to break and this will jack up the cost of the install.

Gibson Performance Exhaust GP131S - Gibson Headers

Just go plow a little more show and that outta boost the budget a bit!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max,

Sorry to hear about your burned wire problem. Glad you were able to get it fixed. Happy to hear you are up to crawling around under the Damon with that bum leg, you must be pretty well on the mend with it.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote